Best flood light <$100

I respectively disagree - if the guy is willing to pay up to $100, give him something decent - I assume he wants more than an EDC level of output. I do think a XM-L2 M6 or high qual SRK would be sufficient though.

You could use a Sipik 68 for that matter - in flood mode of course

If I wanted to light up the bed of a truck, and the area around the truck, I would glue a neodymium disc magnet on the tail of this light and stick it to the back of the truck cab. Mine lights up my entire back yard just fine.

Yes, the problem with the TR-3T6 is that it has a solid spot with a complementary flood. It does indeed have a very nice beam overall with a good spot transitioning into an even flood. I would say the spot is about 60-70% light and the flood area is about 30-40%. When I say ‘light’ I don’t mean in terms of the spot’s surface area on the wall, but the strength. While the reach and spread of the flooding area is quite wide and satisfactory, the problem really is that the spot is too intense and is a bit disorientating when you’re loading in pitch black. You move around the truck and your eyes adjust to this intense spotlight where you tie the straps down, and then you move off to a flood part where its dimmer and you need to readjust your eyes again.

That’s why I was after something without a significant hotspot effect

You’re right, but you don’t want to have a candle when what you really need is an anti-aircraft search light :slight_smile: The flexibility of modes and higher powers is handy. This is a light forum right, we all spend excessively on lights we don’t really need. It’s part of the fun! >)

The magnet idea was something I had in mind yes, currently use them in the garage for a million purposes! Really good.

Regarding the PWM, again I can only draw on my experience with my 3T6. You don’t really notice PWM if you are the one shining the torch in hand. But if you are moving within the torch’s beam, you will notice it. And all of this is on the low and medium modes. Moving in the dark on the lower modes and you can see the ghosting.

I have a BS Terminator, TK75 and a SRK. (actually a Fandy Fire) Although the SRK is somewhat more of a flooder, quality isn’t even in the same ballpark as the Terminator. I find the Terminator is a good example of flood and throw. Handle is great and the led in the on/off switch is actually a very good night light.

I love both my Terminator and my TK75 but I find myself using the Terminator more often. It really is kinda cool to have a light that throws like the TK75 but in real life I really don’t need or use that much throw very often. For the money the SRK is a bargin though.

If I were loading a dirt bike in the dark, I would be much better served using my Zebralight head light. Plenty of light for the job shining exactly where I’m looking.

I still think a headlamp is where it's at for this kind of stuff. I have both aspheric and reflector XM-L headlamps and I prefer the aspheric for most uses because of the wide and even beam pattern. You can pick up one for around $13, then put in a neutral white XM-L2 and better driver for an additional $15 and for around $30 have a really nice and powerful headlamp, with fast and nice mode spacing.

I did suggest the headlamp to him. This guy is old school. He has a Dolphin light he uses now and he likes the size and ergonomics of it but not the brightness. Can you believe it, using a Dolphin light in this age? hahaha

I have to post the picture because i think ‘dolphin light’ is an Australian thing.

Low? Thats what a keychain light, or maybe an EDC, is for. :smiley:

They come in LED now. About $25 at SuperCheap Auto and a few other places.

NIWalker MM15 was a good suggestion, until I found out its $300 :“(

It's going to be less then that. Probably around $180 for the stock version. The Zebralight S6330 is also extremely floody, they are ~$200.

Considering what your friend is using now, start slow, have him get an SRK, and go from there.

That old-school classic light looks like its angry and saying: “RAAWRR!”

I have a BTU (modified), a BST & an SRK (modified).

Of the three, none can match the BTU on throw especially since it has dedomed XM-L2 1Bs on SinkPads, and none can match the SRK on flood especially since I replaced its LEDs with XM-L2 T6 3Bs on SinkPads.

However, I always end up bringing my stock BST when I go on long drives because it is much easier to carry, it can be attached to a tripod, and it has both throw and flood hence it will be more handy when facing different emergencies.

I think the M6 can also be attached to a tripod when needed and your friend won’t need throw in loading bikes into his truck so the M6, which is similar to the SRK in flood, should be a good choice. I also think that an M6 with neutral white XM-L2s and OP reflectors (if there are any) should be much better. :slight_smile:

If I’m going for a purpose driven light and my purpose was loading a truck, I’d get the Armytek headlamp from Illumination Supply and keep my hands free, no contest and more than enough light for that kind of work. If I was setting it down at a distance to light the back of the truck and me (not what I’d consider a good idea but maybe he does by the look of his light), I’d probably get the Terminator one above, because all these SRK/Kung/M6s are going to heat up too fast without your hand as a heatsink, and I’m guessing Terminator has more metal and heat sink. If I wanted something to carry around for loading a truck I’d prefer a warm emitter S2 triple from RMM since I dont want to blind myself with 3,000 lumens up close, and I can carry it around anywhere without effort. What way does he want to use it?

15x T6 lights would be better for wider flood and overpower with lumens if thats more important, but then its long, Kung (SRK with 4x T6 LEDs) will have more flood than SRK/M6/SRKx6s, will be the cheapest option, but wont quite be 3,000 lumens and have a “hotspot” and heat too fast…you’ve got to figure out what functionally is best first, then put your requirements in order of more important to least important to decide really…

Chidwack, I have the same problem now. I find myself reaching for my Blackshadow Terminator (clone) all the time now. Even to go check the mail. It's a thrower, but has enough flood for just about anything.

I'm thinking the OP would be best by going with the Supfire M6 and buying something like a GoPro mount that fits in the M6 tripod holder, and just mount it wherever he wants

Very much the same thoughts i was thinking. I to have a Modded BTU, a Modded SRK M4, and a Dedomed Warrior. The BTU is the thrower, the M4 is the flooder, but the Warrior as a goos combination of both ( though its not as bright as the other two in their cartagories) but i like the warrior for all around use.

After actually reading the original post I now retract saying shocker or tk75 or even a srk.
The Armytek Wizard Pro in neutral white wide with the 90 degree hotspot would be ideal.

I would like to sincerely thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. It’s consolidated the contemporary thoughts on the flood lights. I have a lot more reviews to read through now after the suggestions on here. Thanks guy :slight_smile:

WHat some of you have said about the headlamp is a very good point and I would use that myself. He doesn’t like the headlamp idea for whatever reason. I guess it is good to have a day-maker casting light all over your truck as you work as opposed to having light only where you look. I know that sounds silly. I will do some further consultation and looks like I might be buying some of these for myself too.

I swear this hobby is so ridiculous it makes me laugh at myself. I can just imagine everyone around me saying, “wow that torch is *@$( amazing, but don’t you think it’s a bit excessive? Where can I get one?” hahaha

That MM15 sure casts a beautiful beam profile. But at $200 - ouch still. But you all know how it is, you read reviews on it over and over and mull over it for weeks and eventually you’re just numb about the price and end up buying it.

The headlight doesn’t have to be used as a headlamp. It just has a strap to strap it in. You can use it in your hand as a little 90 degree flashlight if you wish to.

To be honest, a truck light can be 12/24v, so I would just get an everyday two mode (low and high) EDC torch to pocket, and fit a decent work light to the load space of the truck.

I'm not saying it's the case here, but some people have a really hard time grasping this. A right angle light like the Armytek Wizard Pro or Zebralight H600 is a flashlight that doubles as a headlight, or a headlight that doubles as a flashlight. It works pretty well at both, although the blocky tailcap of the Armytek makes it harder to pull out of the headlamp harness. I usually just wrap the straps around the light and use it like that. I mostly use my right angle lights as flashlights, but love the convenience of being able to use it as a headlamp.

That said, in this case I'm going to recommend either of two lights from www.mtnelectronics.com. Either the triple XP-G2 Convoy S3 with floody optics and FET driver, or the Supfire M6 with Mod 2 customization. The first light is easily pocketable and puts out over 1600 lumens, and possibly more than 2000 lumens. The second light is much bigger, but much brighter, has longer run times, has that side clickie and can also be mounted onto a camera tripod.

All this got me thinking that there should be some BLF light trading deal where I pay return postage for another member’s lights to borrow. This way I could forget the reviews and just get all hands on with it. There’s nothing quicker to determine if you want something than to have it in your hand to look feel and use. Would work on a trust basis of course and yea, you probably wouldn’t want to send your lights to someone with 10 posts hahaha. But would be a great way to sample a range of products short of buying them all. I’m sure many people have regretted some purchases!

I’m considering the M6 Mod #2 for myself actually. I really like the feedback from here about its quality though there are only a few people who seem to have one.

Ejected you’re right about that and that’s a great idea. It’s actually a truth I don’t want to acknowledge because it means not having to look at torch reviews and buying over-kill lights which is half the reason this forum exists hehe