Best long distance thrower

Old4570 and others who know the Fandyfire STL-V6/Skyray/Maxtoch SN6x-2

A guy here in NZ has a Fandyfire stl-V6 and it only operates on high mode for 2-3 minutes before dropping down to mid power. This renders the light useless for spotlighting which needs max Hi mode runtime. Can anyone advise if this is a common problem or likely a single torch defect for this model?

Thanks, Mike.

Hi Mike. I have the SKYRAY version. Initially, I used to have a problem in that after about 5-6 minutes on high, the flashlight used to switch itself off. After seeking some advice on the forums, I found out that I had been using really lousy batteries ( the grey *****fires ).

After replacing the batteries with better ones, the problem went away, and I'm happily using what I consider to be one of the better budget throwers around. Methinks the current draw required (by the driver) was higher what those cheapo batteries could deliver. Hope this helps.

HI Mudgripz, I don't have a lot of experience with throwers, but I did research them extensively before I bought mine. I would definitely recommend the Trustfire X8 or its clone, the Uniquefire UF-X8, which I have. It's a powerful, well made, practical light with excellent throw and nice usable spill. Some of the other extreme throwers sound like they don't have much spill.

Thanks for the battery tip guys - will get some. I assume you mean these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-protected-18650-3-7v-true-2400mah-rechargeable-lithium-batteries-2-pack-20392

I presently have a pile of these Uniquefires which I hope may work ok - anyone tried them in this model of MAxtoch/Skyray/Fandy

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/uniquefire-protected-18650-3-7v-2500mah-lithium-batteries-2-battery-pack-29031

Can you use 1 battery with the Uniquefire UF-X8?

I am very new to lights. i like the 801 802 pencil beam for my hunting (hogs).

I bought one of these for $13 US just to test because it was so cheap. Didnt need it but I bought anyway.

hs 801 802 has a pencil beam

light below has a larger beam (about 2 to 3 times 801 802) and guys i run with like it more when looking thru scope. I want pencil beam cause wont set off hogs as quick and penetrates brush and woods better.

Super Tactics CREE LED 400 Lm Flashlight Torch Lamp New

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Tactics-CREE-LED-400-Lm-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp-New-/120710615523?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D400238052627%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2821086166681363126#ht_6303wt_1118

Again, I am new to lights and do not know all the terminology and stuff. Just wanted to drop a suggestion for you to look at. Hope I dont add to confusion.

My post is here:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/4827

The Super Tactics is a good thrower, especially for the price. Nice beam too, not extremely tight.

Be aware though that it's driven far above the manufacturer's specs for that emitter and will therefore probably not take kindly to long runs (more than a few minutes) in High mode.

I have one of those and am curious what will happen if I use it in high mode for a long time. I left it on high for about 15 minutes tonight and it worked just fine.

That's valuable info, murman... thanks. Smile

Now I'll praise this light even more often.

This is a good thrower with decent price & I don't noticeable it drops to medium within 3-4 minutes

Hello,

I think best torch for hunting at this moment is Solarforce M8. Unbelievible long and bright beam.

I have the Fandyfire STL-V6. I haven't measured the exact time, but I have had it on high mode for about ten minutes without it dropping to medium. I am using the xtar 18700 s. Will do some tests later and post it here.

I'm no thrower expert, but I love my M8!!! One bad-ass looking light and I like the 1x18650 option.

And this is the Solarforce M8 clone, with the head 55mm vs the 57mm of the original, but powered by XR-E instead of XM-L.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/jacob-a60-cree-q5-3-mode-310lm-white-led-flashlight-w-strap-black-1-x-18650-114268?r=43033281

Delivery hasn't started yet. I'm so curious to see what 55mm does for the tiny XR-E.

Interesting. Definitely a clone, but much shinier finish than the M8. I wonder why no tube extension for the 2x18650 option of the original? Price is hard to beat.

The Solarforce anodizing is type III, which Jacob's most certainly isn't.

With an XR-E emitter, 2x18650 is much less of a requirement, due to lower current compared to the XM-L draw on the original. The regulation could probably be better with 2x18650, but the driver would likely cost more.

To get down to 1/5th the price, some corners just have to be cut.

Test report:

After reading Old4570s review, I recently imported a batch of Maxtoch SN6X-2s from China - which various hunting friends have bought. This torch sold as Fandyfire STL-V6/Skyray/Maxtoch SN6x-2. Have to say the Maxtoch original products are very well made, and they are stunning performers in the field.

Did some testing on a hunting trip and they are easily the best hunting lights have seen. They combine very good distance, good spill for scanning fields, and are strong enough to be used as an off-the-truck spotlight.

Did some google measuring and they lit up a house at 270 yds quite well, and had no trouble picking up buildings at 350 yards. Could just detect light influence on hills at 540 yards. Main usable light for picking up small game like bunnies is out to 170 yards - in right conditions and with 9x scope. Thumping power output out past 100.

This light is an absolute beauty and friends have twisted my arm to bring in another batch. Sorry boys but these are coming to New Zealand.

Old4570 gave this light 5 stars and so would I. Huge light output and an ideal hunting light. Go for it.

E1320 is putting an XR-E driven at 2.8amps in a wolf eyes clone, small light should throw 300 to 400 meters without any problems….

YOu mean that Wolfeyes clone from manafont (XML zoom light, small sun t20)?
Any link for that project?

Yeah that light… I received couple of weeks ago, and after running for 10 minutes, boom lights out ! I sent it to E1320 for a 5 mode 7135 driver swap with a .001 lumen firefly mode. He suggested : Hi Manny, I can stick one of the new XREs that pulls 2.8 amps and it will out throw anything short of Deft HO and I can do the custom 5 mode if you want with the firefly low. I said do it ! I’m waiting for the light … Should be ready and shipped next week … >)