Best multi purpose light for $50? If you could only have one light, which would you choose and why?

+1

It has to be either a well driven C8 or a well driven P60 & Host.

But that’s not counting shipping.

Another vote for a well-driven C8 XML .

..like XinTD C8 (which has also the best build quality I have ever seen for a C8)

and if how much you spend under $50 doesn’t either, then Bang-4-The Buck I’ll say this one as an EDC. It’s small but IMO it throws and floods in just the right balance, it tail-stands, it has a useable low, it doesn’t get hot, it’s got double heavy-duty o-rings at the pill & one at the tail, deep SMO reflector, XRE, glass lens, and it’s built like a little tank. In fact you can buy 6 of them for nearly under $50.

Granted if you what really want is Jacob A60 kinda power obviously this ain’t it. Personally if I needed to I’d EDC both and that would solve that problem. I’m very impressed with mine.

I have a ultrafire C8 with xml-t6 and stainless steel bezel and SMO reflector, and it’s VERY bright.
bought it for 19.99 dollar here

I think the answer is largely situation dependant. If I have the ability to charge lithiums, keygos m10 no question. If I’m in a primary only situation, minimum 3d Maglite, as I WILL need a club too…. :wink:

yep same here…not a pure thrower but will put light out there…still enough spill for indoors…I have several with the nangj V2 from kd and they’re awesome…

p60 a close second…it will do everything, but does not throw very well and heat sinking is not as good as the C8 style…

Bottom line best.

Have 5 in a dead heat. SE-1, S-Mini, SF L2M with E1320 DI, MIX6 & PA40W. When the dust settled I had to go with the……………………later Edit- I re-read the question & realized the Q was not ‘could’ you pick one, but rather if you ‘had’ to pick one. After mulling over this specific Q with the 5 lights I listed, all things considered, I will go with my S-Mini. Now my other lights ‘feel left out’. Hope your happy :slight_smile: .

Keith

Might be a light that is also a charger for cell phones, etc. which has a nice C8 like beam?

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/double-usb-mobile-device-charger-318650-xml-t6-flashlight-p-365.html

http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S020383

After that, however many many non-multipurpose lights is open, I guess. :slight_smile:

It's a really hard question to ask guys who have tons of lights , there is no ..."one light scenerio" and by giving a 50$ limit it begs the upper end of the spectrum

Used Nitecore D-10 modded with a nichia or xpgr4 4B

My OEM custom.

I’m with troop in going with the utility of AAs. I like my pa40 a lot, but I don’t have the experience that many of the others have and you have many good suggestions already. I also don’t own many lights (YET).

I know it would give people having tons of lights some problem…… I hops I did not give anyone nightmares……
Interesting answers. Keep em comin’ :bigsmile:

joa,

I don’t know for sure if this one is legit, but if you do in fact get the true SkyRay STL-V2 for that price it would be one heck of a bargain. And if it is the real deal, it will be the best money you could spend for the price on one of the best flashlights period.

I think lights are so purpose driven..

i thought about the Ld-40 Fenix or the jetbeam PA ... but it only fills a certain slot .. it fills the ..I want a AA only light ..

Of the 2 I think the Ld-40 as a general purpose light might make more sense .. it has that xpg r4 4b neutral emitter and a sweet tint and great CGI which makes the colors all pop. and it has lots of throw using a smooth reflector that has a beautiful beam pattern ..So I would find it hard to want a more floody beam like the pa-40 when the xpg is so perfectly done here .

But would i dare say it would suffice as a single all purpose light ?? for some too big , for others too throwy , others not bright enough .not powerful enough ??..I'll say it's a great light and was a deal for under 40$..A nice light .

Want me to reccomend 10 more great lights ??

they all would have a few things in common , good mode spacing , no nasty pwm , nice knurling or well built bodies , sexy sweet neutral /high cgi tints,pretty beam patterns,interesting user interfaces etc ..etc .. etc..

Out of a 100 lights you'll find 12 or so that modified just a bit come pretty close to being ..lights you really like ..

the one light ...is really a one out of ten light

i think if I could only have one light it would probably be a single AA light ... but again asking any light to do all things is just asking for all thigs to be done semi poorly .

You really need a (good) head lamp , you really need a(good) keychain light , a 18650 powered light as well as almost all the other battery sizes .Any decent household coverage of lights will include multiple lights for muliple tasks . A back door thrower , dog walking light,cheap bright simple battery loaner light ,lantern,stainless steel ,beater light,low lumen bathroom light,nightstand light ,a few small (nichia 5mm) handy 20 lumen cheap lights ..

one light ..

:p that's just silly

I hear ya, Boaz. Howevre, the PA40 at $40 right now is a steal! You could get that AND some eneloops and keep it at $50. I wish I had more lights so I could throw out other suggestions… but you’ve already go many good ideas.

The Ultrafire T-50 is my general purpose light.

Would have to be the Maxtoch SN6X-2/Skyray STL-V2. Amazing performance for the dollar, plus versatility with its 5 modes. Best allrounder I have seen for the $$.