best reflector for an XP-G2 thrower project ( moding 2D mag )

Hi BLFers :smiley:

I am moding a 2D mag to a dedomed XP-G2 thrower and i want to use the best reflector there is so any recommendation ? give link please

the best i have found is those two KD 86mm reflector and DX 7.3cm reflector

so is there is a better reflector ?

and do i need that big reflector with XP-G2 to throw more ? i mean is it a throwing concept the bigger the more throwing ?

I don't know how you could put either of them in a 2D Maglite, since a maglite head is only around 50mm diameter or so. These would not fit in. You might want to look at reflectors that would fit into the Maglite. Most of them will need some work to fit in. There's nothing that directly fits in that I know of. It might be best to use a reflector out of a 2D led style Maglite. That one should do good for throw.

This one might possibly work, but it will take some fitting, to go in.

It might be easier to use a light like one of these, to modify for an XP-G2, using the stock reflector:

FandyFire STL-V6

FandyFire STL-V3

FandyFire HD2010

Even a Jacob A60

The mag rebel led reflector makes a nice beam with an xpg2. Never tried it de-domed though. How did you plan to used the 73mm or 86mm reflector?

This one seems to fit into the Mag right away:

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S006165

Dont know about the beam though.

sorry my apologies i forgot to mention that i am going to make an extending part for the head for whichever reflector size will use

http://dx.com/p/sst-50-smooth-aluminum-reflector-5-1cm-diameter-47997

That is the one I used in mine. Do not know how it would work with an xpg2 though. It needed to be filed down to about 49mm to fit if I remember correctly.

With an xml2 at about 3a it gets 33kcd.

then use the 73mm. there is a thread on cpf called led laser of somthing like that. guy used the xpg2 and 73mm reflector, he frenched it all up an made it look ridiculous.

All things being equal, bigger is better for throw because more photons are captured and redirected into the hotspot. Of course, shape of the reflector and efficiency of the reflective surface are huge determiners too. Diameter is more important than depth. A little increase in diameter add a lot more surface area then depth does.

thank you, you really answered my question

so you mean the reflector 1 in the left is better than the reflector 2 on the pic

i do have those 2 reflectors

Well, I would opt for the one on the left even if the one on the right threw slightly better. The reason being that I like as wide a spill as possible.

I'm no expert. So I could be wrong. Assuming everything is equal (same size hot spot, efficiency, etc), I would guess that the reflector on the right would throw better. The short one has an area of 23.4. The deep one has an area of 26. Although the diameter decreased by 7.8%, the depth increased by 22.2%.

I like Deep Reflectors, but I think REF. #1 may have slightly more Throw. D\2

i have tested them with XML U3 reflector # 2 throws better, much smaller beam and less spill

Reflector design is a very complicated thing, way above my head anyways. I have tried to make some reflectors of my own just by free hand on the lathe, out of aluminum. Turned out to be a lot of spill with no defined hot spot.
Basically the larger the better and the deeper the better. But there are many more things that determine how well the reflector will throw light. The emitter throws light from all sides of the dome in all directions. So when its in a reflector, the throw is determined by how well all those different angles of light coming from the emitter are reflected and in what direction. Where looking for straight forward, the parabolic reflector has to be designed to have curves which reflect the light at the proper angle for the given angle leaving the emitter. The more light rays that are captured in the design and the focus ability of the reflector the better it should throw. A lot of the side spill that happens from small reflectors is from the emitter light that is passing by the reflector. With a small shallow reflector the light coming from the led at say 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock angle position is completely by passing the reflector, shooting straight out of the emitter and giving lots of spill. With the same diameter reflector but with a deeper design the light may only escape the reflector at a 11 o’clock and 1 o’clock angle position giving less spill and more throw.
I don’t know if I have explained this to where it can be understood, it’s a pretty complicated thing. That’s the reason they make CAD software to design reflectors. The software can mathematically figure out the complicated angles and focus them in each design.
We all no the difference between a stock incandescent mag reflector and a rebel mag reflector, their the same diameter, but with a different shape and deep. This might help a little with visualizing the differences. The rebel reflector is designed for a led.
I have a HS 802 that with a XRE R2 throws really well. It has a very deep reflector. I thought I try it with a XML for a super thrower. It had a terrible beam with a xml, not a thrower anymore. The reflector while deep is not designed to catch light at the greater angles the XML produces over the tighter angle of the XRE. Took the XML out and put the XRE back in.
The reflector design and what its designed for are very important factors. Wish you luck gamezawy, it maybe a little trial and error. :slight_smile: