Best way to dedome xp-l2 hd?

i have never owned THAT EXACT led yet?

but…all my OTHER cree de-domes were always done with gasoline. I had good luck with it.

But, i would wait just to make sure that applies to YOUR exact LED… because there are a couple emitters now that have “trouble dedoming” and i dont remember exactly which ones they are.

i havent had to go crazy and use acetone and thinner and stuff, but, some guys do, i think so its faster. i always justlet it sit in GASOLINE for a long time. (hi test, of course… my CAR got the cheap gas? but the emitters get PREMIUM, which is funny)

I bought a handful of them. Due to the phosphor style of the XP-L2, I didn’t even try to dedome them. Instead, I just gave them a nice, close slice.

I have tried slicing LEDs, but i ended up destroying them…
Probably the blade was not sharp enough…
Maybe i should use a blade from a razor?

Razor blade and the LED about 70-100dCelsius

Use a washer to get a nice slice

What thickness of washer do you use?

The XP-L2 are “flipped” so there aren’t any bond wires to worry about damaging. Just use one the proper thickness to get as close as desired to the die. When in doubt, start too thick and work your way down.

I have watched a video of Vihn do it by hand and by eye and he made it look so easy

You can certainly do it that way. It’s how I did mine, but the cut wasn’t super clean. A sharp razor blade and a steady hand… should be good to go!

Edit: mine were going into a quad behind an optic (Astrolux S41S) do I wasn’t too concerned with a perfect cut.

The XP-L2 are “flipped” so there aren’t any bond wires to worry about damaging. Just use one the proper thickness to get as close as desired to the die. When in doubt, start too thick and work your way down.
ENDQUOTE

maybe one of us should try to make something resembling a “jig” but… like a poor mans “micrometer adjustable” sort of thing… maybe a sliding “guillotine” to help it evenmore.

i thought of this, cause i reload ammo for bench shooting? micrometer adjustable anything is NICE for repeatablity.

You need to use the quote button at the bottom right of the post.

Does anyone know if slicing the dome off of an xpl2 makes a difference? I think for the xpg3 it doesn’t, that’s why I’m asking.

Not quite the same thing, but I recall seeing another member (djozz?) do something creative for slicing with small adjustments. He just threaded a Convoy S-series pill into the head backwards just enough so that when you place the led into the pill that part of the dome sticks up above the rim of the tube. Start with barely anything sticking up and slide the razor across the rim of the tube to get a clean, precise slice. Then slowly thread the pill back out to reveal more of the dome. Repeat until you’ve taken off just the desired amount of the dome.

Yup, found it. Picture is worth 1000 words:

Thanks everybody for great advices! So slicing is the the way to go. Thanks Lexel for bringing out the use of a washer, I can’t believe I haven’t thought of that…? Should I heat the dome with a heatgun or just use the emitter to get the necessary heat?

When slicing, I didn’t find it necessary to use any heat. To each their own though.

When dedome a big led, i often use 2 0.8mm drill bits, put it next to led die, fixed led star on flat surface, and use razor blade slice the dome
Dedome many led, from xml2 to xhp70 by using that way, no problem
You can use different size drill bit for thin or thick dedome

Link to video please

I like the one with washer better

Same here. Haven’t done much dome shavings but those few i did i did them with cold LED’s using razor sharp knifes, the last one from today was “shaved” with razor sharp Ganzo G727M. Came out nice, i like it.