Bicycle Light ... What Do You use

This is the type of beam you get with an Elliptical TIR or lens. Excellent for road use, lights up both sides of the road and can be adjusted down so as not to blind oncoming drivers. You do of course sacrifice some throw though.

I don’t pedal fast enough to worry about throw :smiley:

You and I both brother…

That’s what going downhill is for.

I like your monitor stand :slight_smile:

Umm I think you would find what I use unconventional. I’m using a K40M for my mountain bike…

There are some interesting looking fairly cheap 12V (or more) "offroad" (aka not motor-vehicle road legal, as probably no serious option is anyway) motorcycle led lights on amazon, ebay etc, if you don't mind mounting a battery pack somewhere. They come in 12W, 20W, and probably higher. Nothing that can't be done with a flashlight of course, other than extending run time with an external pack.

Dual Shadow JM35 2x26650 mounted on front. Xhp-50 version on the right side and mt-g2 version on left. Or sometimes just use my Fenix FD40 as it can throw and/or flood.

A bit surprised not one person’s mentioned Zebralight especially as they have the head torch range … don’t they don’t play well with bikes??

I prefere armtek wizard level spacing.

I guess since its mostly flood and isn’t that bright, BLF’ers don’t use it? I mean all we do in BLF is make it go as bright as possible HA

thorfire BL-30 is ok
gets hot, and may not be waterproof
1400 lumens, $36 on amazon
it is a good deal
wle

I can hear an echo :smiley:

The light in my photo is a cheap, Magicshine clone using this lens and with a driver and emitter upgrade.

You need to start by measuring your existing lens then go on the hunt for a wide angle lens or elliptical TIR like Carlco if you think you can make that work.

I use the Fenix BT20.

maybe it’s just me but i find a round pattern with some spill to be just fine.

i can see that the bright spot isn;t ‘’blinding drivers’’, while also giving me plenty of light.

if there was a shortage of available lumens, i can understand wanting to get it all into a small useful space, but with 1400 to burn, the pattern can just be a circle.

just my 2c.

also if you are thinking about using a light under 500 lumens, it won’t be bright enough to ride over about 12 mph. that leaves out the AA and AAA powered lights.
i find that at least 2x18650 are necessary to get the lumens and the hours.
wle