Big fixed blade... can't decide

Now that’s reassuring… Master Cutlery saying it’s made from 440 stainless makes me feel a lot better….my kitchen sink drain is made from that stuff and it’s really been great…and that M-Tech Extreme…wow…nothing can possibly surpass a recurve blade with a large choil….if they would only offer that knife with serrations it would be like…like hitting the Tri-fecta!

The Blackfox/MTech Xtreme doesn’t seem so bad, according to manufacturer SungLong it is 440C and 57 HRC:
http://sunglong.gmc.globalmarket.com/products/details/hunting-knife-camping-knife-army-knife-survival-knife-hk28-3335397.html

If a Chinese factory figures out they can sell more knives by painting USA on the blade and claiming they are made from 440C, they will start marking their knives USA - 440C and all their little sales agents will start claiming they are now made from that.

Of course, design, overall quality control and heat treatment are more important factors. Lowly 420 is an excellent blade steel with an optimized heat-treat protocol, assuming the factory doesn’t damage the edge while grinding the primary bevel.

Not to rain on the parade here too much, but I think most USA buyers are of the attitude that “it’s so darn cheap that if it turns out to be a dud, I won’t care about losing my $$$,” but do that 3 or 4x and they could have owned something of good quality for their money.

Buying a Chinese knife sight-unseen and un-tested by anyone based on Chinese advertising claims requires a leap of faith, and in most cases the consumer ends up being the final QC checker.

By comparison, $70 for a Becker is a bargain price to pay for a $300 equivalent knife…every American household should own one.

Found another fancy looking knife (can’t help myself, love that classical design), for that price I will probably order one. I have a nice piece of walnut from a very old gun stock, could be ideal for a new scale.
This Wrangler knife is identical copy of Black Fox BF617

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/wrangler-Little-knife-hunting-survival-knives-camping-tools/1019777_1474355906.html

http://www.foxcutlery.com/n/en/product/672/black_fox_hunting_knife.html

I got my Elk Ridge knife yesterday and I’m impressed. The leather sheath is nice and overall the knife is very nice. There’s a couple fit and finish issues with the sheath and the scales not lining up perfectly, but all things considered, this is about the best $20 fixed blade I own, and I own a lot of fixed blades :slight_smile:

I’ll probably do a mini-review on it, but in the mean time, here it is with a few smaller fixed blade friends.

Take a look at Schrade SCH line of knives. Pass up the Bear Grylls hype/models, unless you want to go garish!
They all have good steel, and are good-looking knives, but utilitarian, made to be used, and not the eye candy equal of the Black Fox!
Whoever designs the knives but they seem to have their own ideas of what a hunting knife looks like, don’t they?
No idea what the steel they’re using is, but for the price, it should be decent. Of course for a shelf knife, that shouldn’t matter.

“Little knife”! :bigsmile:

Elk Ridge produce some good blades for a good price.
I have one of the Hultafors Heavy Duty knives and like it a lot, not full tang but there’s a couple of “Torture Testing” videos on YouTube that show how tough they are. Like the Mora’s there’s lots to choose from in the line-up.

Here’s my Hultafors with a couple of other fixed blades.

My Elk Ridge Bowie, 14” overall, 9” blade.

I like the Hultafors. It might have even been you who told me about them in another thread. Definitely worth the 10 bucks. The fit and finish isn’t as good as the Moras but it makes up for it with extra goodness like the blade thickness. You posted another Elk Ridge somewhere in this thread that I couldn’t find on Amazon. I’ll have to look again. But so far I’m really happy with my first purchase of them.

I’m kind of surprised nobody mentioned Svord. Good work knives after some DIY (sand off the handle’s “hot spots”, convex the edge, then strop it). The 15N20 (L6) steel is not stainless but it is very tough and holds an edge nicely.

The Cutlass and Elk Ridge Bowie knives were bought from here.
It’s probably not worth the price to buy from Blades UK unless you live in the U.K. and even then they are not cheap. They do sell a good range of knives and swords and I’ve used them several times and been pleased with the items.
A good look round on the Chinese websites would probably produce results, the one that does escrow, ali-express is pretty safe I think, I’ve bought a few items from traders on there.

@wavicle, I like the Svord knives and the Peasant range are mostly legal to carry in the U.K. Heinnie Haynes stock them and I’ve been meaning to buy at least one but so many knives, so little money. I’ll get round to it though. :slight_smile:

i thought that if you get caught with any knife with a blade length over 3 inches and you cannot provide a legitimate reason for carrying such a knife its a 4 year prison sentence and a steep fine…you guys are not free men you are still subjects…

“i thought that if you get caught with any knife with a blade length over 3 inches and you cannot provide a legitimate reason for carrying such a knife its a 4 year prison sentence and a steep fine…you guys are not free men you are still subjects…”

Very true. DILLIGAF.

I wonder what valid reasons count there as justifications for carrying one. Like being a blogger, collector, camper, metallurgist, etc.The last time I was camping in Idaho myself and just about everyone I saw was sporting a decently sized fixed blade and nobody even looked twice. Day to day I carry a Delica 4 clipped to my jeans here in Northern WA state and nobody looks twice here either.

You’ve just got to have a bit of common sense, what is fine in a rural area/farming/camping/climbing or for use as a tool (as part of your work) would not be acceptable in an urban setting/pubs/clubs/football/sporting venues/town and city parks, just common sense. There are, and always will be, grey areas.

i have the same need for a good sharp knife no matter what my location is…

The GI Tanto is a decent budget fixed balde. I bought one years ago (before the secure-ex version) which I ended up modding ala Extrema Ratio style :slight_smile:

+1

Kydex changed the game, leather has no place near my steel.

Not a matter of being a ‘snob’

Someone possibly mentioned it already but the *Cr17MoV Chinese steel family loves to corrode. If you get a blade made from this steel keep it well lubricated and well away from salt water :wink:

This one cought my attention. Sure looks nice.

when randall knives stops using leather for sheaths…

http://www.randallknives.com/