Big fixed blade... can't decide

I’m flexible on the pocket clip as I usually prefer using a lanyard, I’ve got to do something with the 3000ft of 550 Paracord in 24 colours.
Tying them helps keep the arthritis at bay in my fingers. :slight_smile:

You are right though, they could have made it tip up tip down and included screws to mask the holes.

Nothing in ZDP-189? I freakin love that ish :slight_smile:

-Jamie M.

Just ordered Y-Start Black Dragon. Today only the price is $44.20
AUS10 steel, 6 mm thick and 128 mm long blade… I sure will like it :slight_smile:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Y-start-black-dragon-tactical-knife-AUS-10A-stainless-steel-blade-stone-wash-black-G10-handle/1462602964.html

That green-handled Hultafors grovkniv is so ugly :frowning: Almost every other mora out there looks better. But I think I would still take that over any other of those pictured knives. Fällkniven AB tested the fake F1 for hardness and found it to be only 50 HRC :confused: .

The thing is though, they could be testing any of the fake F1’s, the Chinese F1’s are like $10 and have hundreds of 5* reviews on aliexpress, not only that but they’re now switching to using legit 440C / 9cr17mov steel which while not as good as the F1 and certainly with a secondary bevel no where close to a convex grind it’s still a great bargain, a mora is still much better both in quality and steel for sure, and they are roughly the same price. Mora are one of my favorite brands, they’re damn near unstoppable. They have the best steel and still don’t budge on their price. Fallkniven is one of the most overrated brands out there, a Mora beats them any day.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=fallkniven&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20131202101828

Hultafors may not be pretty, but they’re the best budget work/survival knives out there along with Mora. :slight_smile:

Cool “spanto” grind at the tip!

That looks like a good knife, I like the way that the tang is well rounded between the slightly smaller scales, well thought out.

That Hultafors may look ugly but the reason behind the over-large handle becomes plain when you start using one, it’s comfortable to use for long periods and they are super-cheap for what you get £5.95 or $9 and they are super tough.
I’m not saying that the Mora isn’t a tough knife, it is, but the Hultafors is better value for me.

Black Fox finally arrived. That’s really big knife, looks more like a small machete! It’s pretty hefty, 456 g. and the blade is 5.1 mm thick. The seller stated it is 7Cr17MoV steel and 57 hardness, but I will first have to chop some wood to see how the edge will hold in real use. Out of the box it is pretty sharp.
There is some minor flaws, but nothing I can’t fix.

Thanks for the photos! Those defects would annoy me so much. :zipper_mouth_face: Will you take it apart and/or regrind it?

I don't like fixed blades, but a friend wants this (Y-Start, ATS-34). I ordered one for him (he hasn't Paypal or a credit card) and I should get it within the next 10 days:

:slight_smile: :smiley: :bigsmile:
I nearly missed that little SanRenMu C142 at the bottom of that photo.

The only thing that would really annoy me with your Black Fox would be the lanyard tube, but at least it is a tube and easily fixable. (I like lanyards on my knives) As long as nothing is loose then it’s good to go. I’m willing to bet that a session brush clearing/chopping with it wil give it more “character” in the form of a scuff or two. :wink:

I’m beginning to think that at these prices I don’t mind a few faults as long as it doesn’t affect the use the knife is going to be put to. You can go a long way towards improving the faults with a few hand tools and a Dremel style multi-tool.
Most folders that I buy get a strip and clean along with new phosphor-bronze washers, it doesn’t cost much and improves an already good knife.

I’ve just played a little bit with a Black Fox and chopped some wood to see how the edge will hold up.
To cut a one cm thick branch one stroke is enough, 2 cm thich branch need 2-3 strokes, and I chopped 6 cm thick branch in about one minute. After that, the knife is still able to cut the paper without any problem. So I’m guessing the steel is really 7Cr17Mov (or 440A) as stated.

Please avoid using “100%” when you post images in the future.

Thanks.

-Jamie M.

Upgrade to 2550 x 1600 and you’ll see the problem.

Why STRETCH them when they don’t need to be? :frowning:

-Jamie M.

Why not resize them before posting? That’s the best way, you get the most out of your image storage space as well, no more Photobucket blank outs. That’s what I’ve been doing since I first got onto the internet. I’ve been using my current Photobucket account, the free one, for years and it’s only about 10% full.

That’s derailed the thread.

So how are you liking that Black Fox Hrvoje, it sounds like the steel’s had a good heat treat, have you tried sharpening it yet?

A couple new fixed blade goodies. Switching to folders now for a while, currently with a couple on the way: Skyline and SRM 681. Maybe a Sage after that.

(Lately I’ve been setting photos posted here to 60. As long as you put a value (even 100) then it won’t overflow the browser window and you can just resize the window if you don’t like the way the photos look.)

That’s an interesting combination you’ve got there, Light my fire while throwing knives.
Or hitting a target then cooking it. :wink:

Gifts from my sister the survivalist. And people say I’m hard to shop for :slight_smile:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Army-Hunting-Knife-Survival-Sharp-Heavy-7MM-154CM-Blade-58HRC-Green-G10-5FK251/390615683096?\_trksid=p2045573.m2042&\_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D19466%26meid%3D3458387320938881274%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D8800%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D390615683096%26