Biggest lathe in the world?

Its a mill roll destined for a rolling mill.
In my misspent youth I worked for U.S. Steel (before they went out of the steel biz.)
21” mill 3 stand reciprocating mill we made structural steel I beam, channel etc.
The other type of mill is cross country.

FOR SALE:

Want to get your very own?

-Chuck

Damn! thats a BIG lathe!

That is big indeed, even for me… :stuck_out_tongue:
It may have the same diameter as the one I posted but it is way longer. So that makes it somewhat bigger. :smiley:

Look at this quote:
“The theoretical limit of a lathe is only limited by the Earth’s curve; a flat line of about 3.1 miles (5 km), after which point the lathe would be unable to do its job: making symmetrical changes to a rotating object.”
Imagine an 3.1 miles / 5 km long lathe :open_mouth:

OMG! I hope OldLumens doesn’t see this! A 4meter reflector would take like 62800 20mm emitters!

That made me laugh, would explain some of the pricing though…

It appears that I was a little bit on the high side.
Yes it has a 4m chuck/faceplate (not sure what the correct term is) but the maximum workpiece diameter above the bed/slide ways is 3720mm.
And above the cross slide it is 3200mm.
The maximum length is 11500mm.
It can turn as slow as 0.6 rev per minute and as fast as 52 rev per minute.

Well, maybe that’s true to a point, but couldn’t someone build a lathe in such a way as to take into account the curvature of the earth and make adjustments for it? Or is that theoretically impossible?

Dont know, I’m not that smart :P.
The quote is from this website: The World's Largest Lathe is For Sale - Industry Tap

(just some thinking:)
I quess if you have a (true) flat piece of earth that is 10 km long, you can build a 10 km long lathe.
The point is that the lathe has to be straight, otherwise (I quote) “making symmetrical changes to a rotating object” is not possible.
Both the front and the back of the lathe would not be in line anymore (it has a curve). So the object has to be flexible to form along the curve when turning or you can’t even put the object in the lathe due to the curve (although at those distances I think that everything would be flexible enough…)
But to be realistic at those distances there would be a lot of other problems.

OK, it is not a lathe but a large gantry mill.

We had this machine shop do some press parts for us.

The press platen and headblock, circled in red, are both on the machine at the same time. The pressing surface is 140 inches x 72 inches. The overhead crane had a 200 ton hook with a 100 ton assist hook.

Now if we could only get Cree to make XXXML-IV emitters in 12” size, a few dozen of those might make a pretty neat little light! :slight_smile:

Justin could supervise it, they could set it up in his old AC plant with it’s 12 mile long loading dock.

How many 18200050’s would this take to power? Would they be series or parallel? Does GEARgoodTECH ever put the 18200050’s on sale? Do the 23,000,000mah ones REALLY have closer to 19,000,000mah like HKJ says? I cannot wait for the GB…

LOLZ, I love this forum…

Would it be suitable for EDC?

Yeah, if you drove a log truck!

Did anyone say thats not a lathe yet, and post a pic of whats his name …Strops side kick, ummm… Paul Hogan?

Did he have anything to do with this pub?

Local machine tool manufacturer has a lathe that will handle up to 15’ diameter work piece, up to 50 ton weight limit. Was originally set-up for wind turbine hubs, input shafts, etc. but all that work went to China. Still used for oil & gas industry parts. Entire unit is nearly 100’ long, operator can stand on tool platform as lathe is cutting. They’ve added numerous measurement devices, imaging systems to determine finishing conditions etc. Unfortunately, this unit is one of two in the world and so it’s very proprietary and no pictures allowed.

Sounds awesome and big! Too bad you can’t take any pictures.
May/can you say the brand and model name?
And how old is it, I mean is it cnc controlled?

Definitely CNC controlled, it’s less than 10 yrs old. I do know that it was made in Italy and its’ sister was set-up in Singapore. It took nearly a full year to set-up. I will be inspecting the facility next week, I will try to remember to look for the manufacturers’ name.

See if Groupon has anything for a police sketch artist…. That would be an alternate to pics… Cause without pics, it didn’t happen… Grin

Seriously jealous that you get to go see this though…