Bike lights -- do any of us actually need one?

Thanks, all, for this most interesting discussion. I agree that for many cyclists an EDC light will be fine. But I also sympathise with @wle:

Here in the UK I didn’t find it easy to buy a decent mount for a standard flashlight. Some of them involve Velcro, which is certainly fiddly on a dark night with cold hands. Another point is that not everyone has much room on their handlebars. My Magicshine Allty 2000 has a Garmin mount, which is very standard in the cycling world. It’s quick to attach, very secure, and goes on an out-the-front bracket that saves precious room on my tapered bars.

Decent buttons and a simple UI are good when you’re hammering down a hill and suddenly realise you need more light, or have to dip for an oncoming car. The Allty 2000’s UI is way too complicated and the low-profile button isn’t easy to use when wearing gloves. For day riding, I also think a flasher is great, which is not something I’d want easily accessible in an EDC light.

Excellent tips about the Lumintop B01 and Fenix BC30, with their car-friendly beam patterns. I knew Germany has a law about this, but as far as I know none of the brands you’d find in a UK bike shop offers a proper beam for road riding.

Maybe I have good eyes, but never has a bicycle or someone walking down the street with a flashlight ever blinded more than the cars going the opposite way.

Also I have bought the best flashlight bike mount ever made. It is interchangeable with BC30 mount. That is Fenix ALB-10. If you remove the thick rubbers of holder you can fit most of 21700 based flashlights.

I bought my second BC30 form UK. There is very good Fenix distributor but because UK leaved EU I can’t buy anything more from there. Now it will be very expensive if I want to buy something from UK.
Here is my recommendation

Thank you icpart I just purchased that mount. Olight mount doesn’t like my K9.3.

Thanks icpart ! That mount looks like a beast. I’d have confidence that a decent torch would not go flying.

I can’t see Brexit being good for anyone.

Also this good and cheap flashlight mount. For road biking it is very good and stable if you mount not to heavy flashlight. And it is very compact and quick to put or remove on handlebars.