Bitsa / frankenstien / left-overs build - Ever seen a sexy butt like this? FINISHED

:+1:

What is the MCPCB from?

I got it from kaidomain some years back. Not available anymore. They are relatively thin but DTP copper.

I like how the screws and solder tabs are away from the LED. Looks like a vertical slide on your lathe how is that for vertical cuts?

I don’t remember ever using it to make a vertical cut. I’m always using it to mount either a spindle or work piece then use it as fine adjustment to height. It’s not the best piece of equipment, short usable stroke and the gibs are done up kinda firm to reduce slop.

Having said that I definitely appreciate having it in my kit :smiley:

Post #1 updated

I cant get my head around what you did in the tail.

WOW! just WOW! That rocks mate! There’s a kids program that was on when I was very young - it is responsible for my addiction!
Jamie and the magic torch. - this is getting like it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeh, wasn’t real clear on the details. It’s an infinity mirror like I did on this one . I’ll show the parts and how it works a bit better before I close it up.

I thought I was in for some cultural experience at first. Then I looked closer at the pic and something began to tingle from a distant memory. Then when I watched the vid - WOW I’ve seen that! I have no idea what happened in the show but I know I’ve seen it once or twice when I was little too :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope I’m not the only one that doesn’t know whats going on. Your freaking me out pp. :heart_eyes:

Very nice light ” PP ” , I’m still trying to understand what you have built. The Picasso of flashlights you are :person_with_crown:

:smiley: :smiley:

Okay I’ll try and show a bit more clearly what I’ve done.

I have an adafruit trinket

I bought a length of ws2812b rgb 5050 strip, 144 leds/metre. I cut enough off the end to go around the mirror.

Convex mirror, blind spot mirror for cars.

Some reflective film, silver colour.

Plus a normal glass lens. The glass lens will need the reflective film stuck to one side of it.

All the parts. Disregard the battery protection pcb (it didn’t work for some reason).

Wrap the leds around the convex mirror. In truth it doesn’t have to be convex. You can use a flat mirror. The difference is a flat mirror makes a straight tube / tunnel visual effect. The convex mirror gives it a parabolic shape like a reflector.

Place the lens on top with the reflective tape facing down. The reflective tape acts like a 2 way mirror. When the leds light up you can see into the mirror prism but not back out.

Shove all those ingredients into your project, be it a wall decoration (clock), coffee table or in this case a flashlight :sunglasses:

I nearly forgot, I ended up running this code on the trinket. I had to make some adjustments to it - pin out, number of leds, add brightness code and reduce brightness. Kinda happy with myself for getting that to work :student:

This torch works with the head and tail independent of each other. The battery carrier is the same at both ends + in the middle and - on the outer. The rear has a stronger spring so the head makes contact / closed circuit first. Allowing the main led to be used at anytime. The tail needs to be screwed all the way on to power the tail leds. I didn’t make much space for the oring in the tail so the tail is a little stiff and needs two hands but that’s what I prefer if the tail may not be tightened properly when in use.

One thing that disappoints me… two things actually. It’s not focussed the best and thermal step down kicks in fast and keeps kicking. The output drops a number of times within 1 minute…… but that tail makes up for it …. :heart_eyes:

Cool stuff :sunglasses: :+1:

1st prize!
Mate that is superb, wow. Well done.
One of the most ingenious mods I’ve ever seen.
If that was on the other end (or both)……theoretically you could still shine light through it too…… :wink: Just sayin…. maybe not :person_facepalming:
Yeah it wouldn’t be so bright - but is it about the beam anyway lol

Sits its all smoke and mirrors without the smoke. :smiley:

Thanks guys.

I’ll be happy if the magic smoke is never seen :laughing:

Awesome work, pp!

Makes me wonder how someone even thinks about something like this and you built it. :+1:

:+1: Very nice!