BLF edition Mag-Lite Mod?

I know I’m not breaking new ground, and my build is gonna look a lot like a lot of other Mag builds, maybe exactly like one or two of them. What I meant by not cloning someone’s build is that I want to learn something, not just do what someone else has done like a Chinese clone maker. At the end of the day, I want to know what’s in my Mag-Lite and why it’s there. That’s why a lot of my questions are general flashlight related stuff. I still need to learn all that stuff.

There is no special reason why I’m doing a Mag-Lite. It’s really very simple - I already own a few of them, so at this point it’s basically a free host. Same with the XM-L2. I’ve got it, and I want to use it. I don’t want a stubby Mag-Lite for the purpose of a stubby Mag-Lite. I’m not looking for a fad item. I’m interested in it because it’s easier to carry than a full sized 3D Mag-Lite. I’m trying to make practical choices. I’m not wanting to push the XM-L2 to the max, but I also don’t want to leave too much of its potential untapped. But, I don’t know where that balancing point is. I’m okay with using the 3A driver, taking the XM-L2 to its rated maximum. Though, I might prefer to have a turbo mode that takes it a little further. It is mounted on a copper Noctigon, so that will help heat dissipation to a point.

I’m looking for all-around greatness in a balanced way. But, I don’t know yet which things are important and what can or should be compromised on. I want good reliability, not a hand-held toaster-oven. I want decent run-time, balanced out with surprising brightness. If you think of every element of the build as a scale from 1 to 10, I’d rather have more 6’s and 7’s versus having one thing at 9 or 10 that makes something else have to be a 3 or 4. That is, unless the one item is very important and the other is not of much importance at all. I know a lot of the documented specs of things, but I don’t know how they relate to each other and how to match a particular driver to a particular emitter on a particular heat-sink to get the best possible results. That’s what I’m really trying to learn here.

As I said in a previous post, I want to skip over learning by trial-and-error, learning from mistakes and failures of my own. I want to learn from you guys who have already learned, so my chance of success is greater from the start. If that means my Mag-Lite ends up being 90% similar to every other modded Mag on this website, that’s okay. But I want to know why those choices are made the way they are. I don’t want to have to build 2 or 3 Mag-Lites before I get one that won’t burn itself up because of poor heat dissipation or one that isn’t hopelessly underpowered because of poor battery selection. Also, I know I’m gonna make plenty of mistakes while building it. I just don’t want mismatched components to be one of my mistakes.

I just went back and read some more Mag mod threads, and it seems to me that the singularity still hasn’t come. So, I ask for your help in trudging through all the little decisions, big decisions, and yes, even the needlessly complicated, yet hopelessly unimportant decisions. If all goes to plan, I hope to accomplish three things: 1) build a successful Mag mod that I and maybe some new owner in the future will be very happy to own 2) Learn a lot about LED’s, drivers, batteries, heat dissipation and flashlights in general 3) Test out James’ LED and give him a build thread. :wink: