*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

I found a Camara lens cap at a local camera store that almost fits it perfectly, i added some foam to it to protect the anodizing.

:smiley: love the sounds of the olā€™ Detroits!

Oops, I thought it was only 4 in total :person_facepalming:

Never mind, it wonā€™t affect the calculations I was doing before, except that the lantern should produce slightly more light. Iā€™ve edited my previous posts to reflect the true state of affairs.

Is there a photo of the MCPCB? Iā€™m curious now :slight_smile:

Yes, please look at the OP.

Thank you. Donā€™t ask me how I managed to miss it beforeā€¦

Great, how about 30000mAh powerbank? :wink:

P.S. Sorry for spam, but maybe someone will be interested in joining winning BLF team (Banggood 13th Anniversary Sale).

I am not too sure if a cheap chinese powerbank really has 30.000mah (and at which voltage). Also are powerbanks with a real capacity of more than 100Wh (aircraft limit) extremly rare and often to bulky to be real usefull.

OK, I donā€™t recommend buying this particular powerbank. Iā€™m just saying there are options :wink:

This company however (Baseus) have really good and high quality products:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000093086741.html

Name: Power Bank 30.000mAh, Rated capacity:18.000mAh LOL :person_facepalming: . Thatā€™s why I donā€™t trust chinese sellers.
And why only 18W over USB C PD, most laptops need at least 45W to charge.

If you want to buy such a powerbank from Ali, you should better buy something like that:
Floureon Power Bank 26800mAh
or that
Powerbank 20V 2.25A 3.25A 45W 65W PD (I have seen that one from different brands too)

If the lt1 supports 12v charging what kind of cables are available. I havenā€™t seen any micro usb cables 5hat are able to connect to a battery or those car lighter plugs. Would be nice if one of those could be supplied with the lantern instead of micro usb cable cause everybody has ebough of those anyway.

LT1 will have a USB-C connector. Buy whatever adapter you need for whatever you have.
For example hereā€™s a USB-C male <> 5.5x2.1mm DC female adapter

Firstly, the lantern uses USB C and second, yes a slimple stupid 12V barrel plug to usb c adapter would be nice, but I am not sure if they would be legally allowed to sell one, because something like that would be dangerous if used with normal usb devices.

Edit: Lagittaja was faster, thanks for the link!

Still though I d rather have a 12v cable supplied with the lantern instead of the easy to find usb c cable. I donā€™t like having to order separate accessories from different vendors. Itā€™s just a pita.

Yeah. Any adapter like that what I linked shouldnā€™t be included. If someone needs something like that then they can buy one and it will be on them if they mess something up.

Just to add to my previous post, one option is to buy a USB-A female <> screw terminal adapter to which you can hook up your 12V wires and then a bog standard USB-A <> USB-C cable.
Hereā€™s a 5-pin example https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32889598399.html
One would imagine someone has to make something like that but with a 2-pin terminal block but after a quick search I couldnā€™t find one.
I guess that use case is a bit too obscure for the chinese manufacturers to know. I know I would buy that kind of USB terminals, few for each connector type.

Or XT60 to USB-A, USB-C and so on. Though I guess it wouldnā€™t be too hard to make one yourself.
These USB-C DIY connectors are cheap and they just have USB 2.0 pads on them so quite easy to hook up some wire to them and slap whatever connector you want on the other end. Add some heatshrink and et voila.

@Madtoffel, thatā€™s 18000mAh at 5V.

3,6V * 30000mAh = 108Wh
5V * 18000mAh = 90Wh

Sell the LT1 with a std cord. If anyone wants to run it off 12 volts let them get whatever else is needed. There will be some muggles buying this or having one gifted to them. Muggles will end up plugging a 12 volt supply into a 5 volt device at some point. I have had a muggle plug a 9 volt type C into a 5 volt device that then lost itā€™s magic smoke.

I donā€™t agree with making everything idiot proof. As for diy ing one, heatshrink is just plain annoying, it just not as bendable and doesnā€™t offer the same strength as a decent cable. How hard is it to understand that it could be a nice option to offer the the choice of cable while ordering the lantern. With all the other accessories that will be offered it would just be a small thing offering different kind of cables that can be used.

@dekozn, that would NOT be a good idea to offer, unless you state to ONLY USE THIS WITH THIS LANTERN AND NOTHING ELSE.

The TP5100 can easily handle 18V input, but very few devices can.

I wish most things did not come with cables. I have so many cheap cables that have come with things that I buy that will never be used. I think itā€™s better if you want a special cable that you find the one you want and get it.

Weā€™ve gotten no guarantee that there will be ANY accessories offered for sale with the LT1. If at some point in the future Sofirn offers an accessory kit, it would be nice to include some kind of adapter. Personally, Iā€™m not a fan of the ā€œpower everything over USBā€ craze. If it doesnā€™t need to transfer data, thereā€™s no need for a USB port. Give me a Deutsch connector any day.