*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

I can kind of tell from this picture, but I just want to confirm, the BLF LT1 Lantern is USB Type-C (AKA USB-C), correct?

Also, is the port potted at all (to prevent water ingress when the flap is open), or does it 100% require the flap to be closed for any water resistance?

The port must be closed for water resistance, although you could seal the surrounding and back of the port yourself with some sort of sealant. Most of not all water resistant usb C ports are proprietary and hard to source.

you cant seal it as it is soldered to driver, it needs a cover

I know this is off topic, but has anyone tried the waterproof model of that solar charger. The camo one is only $15.99. Any idea how it compares with the other one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AFZKC20/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gUncDbR9B1RTB

ā€œI asked that same question a couple months ago. ā€I asked that same question a couple months ago. ā€œ:*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020) - #4555 by sbslider. I opted to wait out for the exact model that was recommended. I think ECEEN does make both, but I would say that the waterproof version likely doesnā€™t put out 10W, as there are only 3 panels instead of 4 ā€like the one I recently purchasedā€:*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020) - #4994 by sbslider. Best I know noone has bought the panel you linked to and reported about it in this thread.

That model i have not tested, I doubt its water resistant & definitely not water proof as the USB port & control circuit is on the outside of the case. From what i can gather that model is one of their older basic models they still produce.
The other Eceen model has the port & box inside a pocket that has a water proof diver-type sealing zipper. I have a similar cheaper one to that on in that link, and it too is not really good for using in the rain as water can seep into the charger regulator box on it.

it is a USB-C port, and needs to flap closed to seal out water.

Could you put me down for two more lanterns, please, so I have four in total?

I keep thinking of more places for them :slight_smile:

Iā€™m interested in 1 lantern

Is the usb c version 3.0 fast charging?

Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0? Probably not. Itā€™s a proprietary implementation that requires a Qualcomm chip. Thereā€™s also not much point (forward looking), as while QC 3.0 is widespread at the moment, QC 4.0 is designed to merge Qualcomm Quick Charge with USB Power Delivery.

USB PD 3.0? Probably not. It simply doesnā€™t need input at that level (not that it wouldnā€™t be nice to have it as an option. Itā€™s just an added cost that likely wonā€™t be necessary).

The base USB Type-C power specification? Hopefully it fully supports this. It provides up to 15 W charging without requiring any special hardware beyond a standard USB Type-C controller.

Charging standards are a bit confusing at the moment, but itā€™s quickly getting better as everything is moving towards base USB Type-C for up to 15 W, and USB Power Delivery for higher voltages (up to 100 W). USB hardware - Wikipedia

Iā€™m speculating here though. Someone closer to the project might be able to give a definitive answer.

edit: fastest charging Iā€™m seeing mentioned in the first post is charging from an 11 watt solar panel (which may just be charging at 10 watts). Hopefully it supports up to 15 W (USB Type-C base spec maximum) rather than 10 W (traditional maximum on non-QC 3.0 microUSB devices recently).

Interested, please put me down for 1.

No, the design was specified to be able to switch between 0.75A and 1.5A, I belive 1.5A is the default. There was a brief discussion of adding a QC chip but it was dismissed due to cost. Also, with 1.5A max, QC did not really make sense. One could question the 1.5A max, but it is what it is now. It was designed that way to allow for use with solar chargers that are not very good I believe. In reality, while QC might have been convenient, no on really NEEDS it.

Perhaps that could be on the list of changes/options for version 2.

Thanks for the info. So how long would it take to fully charge from dead with all 4 18650s?

at 1.5A, take the capacity of your battery(ies) times the number of batteryies(4?) and divide by 1.5. Probably a bit longer as the charge slows down toward the end, and some inefficiency.

For 4 3000mAhr cells, 8 hrs plus a bit, probably 9-10 hrs.

And is there a charge/battery indicator light?

Yes.

There are 2 LEDs on the side of the port for this.

Awesome. Canā€™t wait!

Interested! Please put me down for 1.

I thought those are going away and the switch is going to cover those duties.