*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

Sorry for a stupid question, but will these batteries fit? https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32268878986.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.productList_2792230.pic_9 they are Liitokala 18650 3400mAh and they are 69mm long.

Have a look here: Massive post on where to get lithium-ion batteries everywhere in the world! Look at Post 2-5 for info, And Canada Post 123

pretty sure the manual says max battery length 70mm. The springs are pretty forgiving.

Yes I read that, but the seller I will be buying from is from Liitokala official web- AliExpress
LiitoKala Official Flagship Store. All the bad reviews and fake cells were from Liitokala Factory Store or Liitokala Official Store.

Keeppower 69mm fit fine for reference

Thank you for confirming 69mm cells fit!

ā€¦ same dog with different collar.

Those are genuine Liitokala, nothing to do with Panas.

Caveat emptor.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell which version of the lantern I have?

Regarding charging, does the onboard charger cut off charging at a good voltage or is there more risk of overcharging vs an external stand alone unit?

Can I buy new batteries and just install them, use the onboard charger from the start and all is good?

Thanks.

As far as I know, there are no significant differences in the LT1 sold thus far. I have one from the first 500 LT1s, it is the same driver board as yours. Iā€™m sure the electronics are the same. There may have been some subtle assembly differences if you received your LT1 from the ā€œsecond lotā€ after the first 500. For example, I think I saw someone post that the bail handle and the switch are lined up now. So far, they are basically all the same to date.

I have not measured the batteries in my LT1 after a complete charge. Actually, Iā€™m not sure I have done a complete charge, I like to stop charging shortly before full if its convenient. But someone else (DBSAR I think) mentioned measuring batteries at 4.17 V after a charge. Very safe, no risk of overcharge at that voltage. If you have a DVM (digital volt meter) you can do the same, or perhaps others who are presently charging/have recently charged can comment. If you like send me a PM and when I go to charge next time I will do a complete charge and send you my results.

If you have a DVM, I would measure the recently purchased batteries and verify they are all within maybe 0.1V or so of each other before I put them in the LT1. Putting them in the LT1 connects them all in parallel. If one (or more) batteries have a significantly different voltage than the others some fairly large currents can flow in the LT1 in order to make the batteries all the same voltage. You wonā€™t likely damage anything if they are more than 0.1V, but Iā€™m not going to recommend that you install batteries in parallel with more than 0.1V difference between them. If you donā€™t have a DVM and you do have another charger (think you said you do?) I would charge the recently purchased batteries in your charger, then put them in the LT1. Assuming you have a decent charger, by charging the batteries first you can be sure they are all the same voltage when you install them in the LT1. If you donā€™t remove the batteries, you can continue to charge them in the LT1 for as long as you keep them in there.

You are welcome, hope this helps.

Ah :slight_smile: . Now thereā€™s a rabbit hole weā€™ve been down before. Iā€™ve purchased 26650ā€™s and a Lii-500 charger from a liitokala store and they are just fine, but there appears to be no such thing as an ā€œofficialā€ Liitokala store (or perhaps more accurately, there are many ā€œofficialā€ stores) and the company seems pretty questionable on the whole. Be wary.

I can almost guarantee that all cells from these stores will be ā€œfakesā€ compared with their branded counterparts, but they are genuine ā€œLiitokalaā€, whatever that means. Unless proven otherwise, I would never purchase cells with Samsung, LG, Sony, etc model names from any store with ā€œLiitokalaā€ in the title unless I wanted Liitokala cells. I see that the store you mention now has 3100mAh, 35A 18650ā€™s on sale. Yea, and Iā€™m Abraham Lincoln.

Caveat emptor.

:+1: That was the average full charge i was getting, around the 4.17 volt range. I donā€™t remember if Sofirn had updated the firmware for the 2nd or 3rd batch of the LT1ā€™s, (the latest firmware has the SOS beacon mode added to the hidden modes, where batch #1 did not have the SOS.

Iā€™m pretty sure folks receiving LT1s in December/January wonā€™t get SOS, as that change was made by ToyKeeper in mid or later October IIRC. The driver boards for the LT1s shipping in November would have all been made and programmed by then I believe. Maybe batch 3 (when will that start?) will have the updated firmware? Iā€™ll verify that my batch 2 LT1 (arriving tomorrow, for my son) doesnā€™t have SOS. Need to do some final QC to be sure itā€™s fully funciontial, I may even update the firmware with the latest build as a extra special touch. :smiley:

Anyone with a batch 2/second reservation in the area of #1597 get their second ordering code yet? If so, are you ordering more than 1 as Sofrin said it was ok to do?

Second reservation #1984 and got the code a few weeks ago, but I will wait for the colors now that I have the first one. If you did not get your second code, you can PM Sofirn.
BTW, my first one came properly bridged and works flawlessly. Great lantern!

Ok thanks sbslider, that makes sense.

I have a Ultrafire WF-139 charger, and a fluke voltmeter or multimeter.
My understanding is that I can trust that charger, but I do need to learn how to test the batteries.

Pretty sure I just pick the right meter setting, use black probe on bottom negative end of battery, and red probe on the positive end of the battery. I am not sure if that tests resistance, or charge voltage though.

Btw, is there a preferred battery internal resistance for this type of application?

Hi,

I will buy another lantern next generation also. How do I get on that list?

I have a few ideas for a screw on base or stand for the lantern. I am going to have my machinist friend build a few versions to try out probably out of acetyl, or maybe aluminum. I will post pictures when I get it done. It wont be right away though.

Any advice on good quality portable solar recharge panels for this?
Maybe I shouldnā€™t ask that here, and should make a new thread topic for that question.

Thanks.

The voltage you expect to measure on your batteries is somewhere between 3 and 4.2 Volts. Your meter likely has a setting that either has a ā€œVā€, or ā€œvoltsā€. Use that one. You donā€™t likely have a meter that tests the batteries internal resistance. Your meter likely has a setting to measure resistance, but it wonā€™t work on your battery. That meter setting expect 0V across the part your measuring for resistance, and it passes a small current through that part and measures the voltage. Or maybe it puts a small voltage and measures the current. Regardless, this wonā€™t work for a battery.

Battery internal resistance is not very important for the LT1, as it is a relatively low current application for 18650 batteries, and with 4 in parallel most any battery that fits would do the job. Iā€™ve used fancy high current batteries in my LT1, I have used batteries taken from old laptops. Both work equally well. If you want to minimize time between charing, then get the highest capacity you can, there are no 18650 cells rated at over 3500mA-hr, so donā€™t get *fire cells that claim 9000mA-hrs or something ridiculous like that.

yes, it should have come with one. they donā€™t stay on though, unless you apply some sort of adhesive. You could try emailing Sofirn, or sending a PM to them. Iā€™m not sure the email address.

DBASR likes the Eceen 10W panel. I have had 2, the first I returned as it didnā€™t provide anywhere near the rated current in the peak of summer. My second doesnā€™t either, so Iā€™m questioning my measurement method now. I have some time to return it, so Iā€™m not sure yet how Iā€™ll resolve that. Depending on how portable you want, I have a 10W panel I bought on ebay that is super, it delivers the rated power, but you would need to put something between the panel and the LT1 to regulate the voltage down, so that doesnā€™t help you.

Whatā€™s the recommended battery that provides the most runtime with the lt1?

EDIT: late to the party again. :wink:

You mean the orange o-ring around the upper plate of the head? Yes, it should have come with one. They come off too easy with handling. Did it just roll off as you removed the plastic bubble wrap? I have glued mine in place.

PM Sofirn and tell them. They will likely send you one (or 2) by mail. http://budgetlightforum.com/user/23289