*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

When did you place your order?

This might be a silly question but I just got the BLF lantern and am in search of some good batteries I can use in both it and a ZL SC64. Iā€™m currently using some Sanyo flat top ones, which worked for a moment in the BLF lantern to test it out, but was afraid to run them for long. Iā€™m in the USA. Any suggestions?

They have reputable several brands of button top cells. I have some of the Samsung 35E and a 3500 mAh variety of LG I bought from them.

However, it looks like they would be too long for the ZL light. Looks like the ZL needs flat tops.

That happens a lot, different lights need different style cells.

Are there any that can be used in both or lantern needs button top and SC64 needs flat?

Yes those require different cells. see EDIT above

There are some Panasonic flat tops that because of the way the positive end is made, will function in the LT1. Even those might have a problem with scraping the wrapper on a component on the board. Button tops are the recommendation from the maker. The choice is yours in the endā€¦ā€¦

Got home to a surprise finding in my mail box last night. An earlier than expected arrival of my BLF LT1ā€¦ woot woot!!

Didnā€™t bother tracking (from past experiences, constant tracking of items whereabouts caused more anxiety) so was happy to just see a gray bubble wrap envelope with the LT1 snugly and neatly packed in its shipping box with no dents in the box.

Opened it immediately and unscrewed the battery tube and screwed in the Q8ā€™s battery tube loaded with 4 samsung 30Qs (probably at about 80% capacity).

There was the single flash of the LEDā€™s and the power switch was lit orange. Hit the switch and wholla!!! LET THERE BE LIGHT!!! Beautiful incandescent like light and very well diffused. Iā€™m impressedā€¦ the weight of the light is substantial and I like that there are female screw threads in the lantern head as well as the battery tube tail capā€¦ The top screw securing the lantern cap is a socket hex head so no more stripping with phillips head screwdriversā€¦

Packed it back up for my trip out of town and will play with it some more (testing of charging system, modes, etc.). Sorry no photo or pictures. Good job on a prolonged project and Iā€™m glad to have gotten one for a price that I think is a bargain for what it does compared to other lanterns (Fenix).

It was about 20 days from order to arrival.

Iā€™ll consider buying a couple more in future as gifts for family.

Appreciate the reply. Last question (for now) - protected or unprotected?

Received mine today, now I need to get some cells for it. What are the recommended battery types? I usually get Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10A 18650 Li-ion Flat Top. Will those work?

Edit: Needs button top

ugh I am still waiting on aliexpress. frustrating.

The LT1 does not need protected cells. It has LVP and the built in charger cannot charge at too high a rate. Save the $$.
That is my opinion.

it is possible, but some major mods will be needed to cut an opening for the USB charging port.

What does it say when you track through USPS?

Mine was amazon. Delivered yesterday. Tracking history looks like this:

If youā€™re talking about the Sanyo GA flat-tops, those are the only high capacity non-button cells that fit the LT1, SP36, SF34, etc.

In my experience, they are //just// tall enough that the insulating wrappers do not touch the variable potentiometer near the positive ring contact in the LT1. I have some pics somewhere of a colored stick-um dot over the vairable pot after a load of GAs were loaded and unloaded several times. There is no sign of contact.

The Sanyo GA flat tops I received from amishbill work well in my LT1. They have been removed several times for voltage checks and the light has been locked out with a quarter twist repeatedly without any sign of damage to the wraps. Good batteries with long run times, thank you Bill!

My first LT1 with batteries arrived this morning! I ordered it from Amazon on November 14.

Itā€™s as great as I was hoping it would be! :partying_face:

The tint-ramping function is implemented nicely, but Iā€™ll likely use it on the warmest setting most of the time.

The included USB cable is nice and supple, unlike most inexpensive charging cables.

The LT1 and my charger agreed that the included Sofirn 3000 mAh cells arrived at 3.9 V.

Tip: The small black insulating stickers on the bottom of the cells fit nicely to cover the head of the top bolt.

A big ā€œThank You!ā€ to Den and everyone on Team LT1! You should all be very proud of this lantern.

Happy Holidays, BLF! :slight_smile:

Ordered Dec 12th and is in NYC at 7 this morning, will be in Portland, OR on Friday to my Son.

Your charger may be 0.01volt or more optimistic.
The lantern charges cells to 4.17 , when itā€™s asked to report cell voltage it will report 4.2v, if cells are charged on a good charger to 4.2v then put into the lantern it may report 4.3volts. At least on the first batch ,on mine.
So it will be anywhere from 0.1volt to .13volts out , but that could vary from unit to unit ,itā€™s either the inconsistency of anduril or the hardware calibration or lack of it I suspect!

There may be some variation in the termination full-charge voltage, TK can comment more on the details, but if iā€™m correct the TP5100 controller charging chip controls the charge rate & cut-off and not really a part of Andruil, which controls only the lantern operating the LEDs, and the charging is controlled by the TP5100ā€™s firmware factory settings.

Yes I did edit my post just now just before you posted.
As I recall it can be out slightly also in the older ramping ui that came before anduril.