BLF Q8 user interface / manual /request for a video

I was able to set up a Q8 with one mode at MAX output.

From factory default:

• switch to Mode Sets:

1) press&hold for 8 secs mi (keep holding - goes to max, then eventually blinks)

2) after the 2 blinks and 1 blink, click once (disables ramping)

3) then press&hold til the blinking stops (skips the rest of the settings)

4) now you are in mode sets, press & hold for 3.5 secs min (goes to strobe, then eventually blinks)

5) first it will do 2 blinks then 1 blink -- don't click, then it will do 2 blinks then 2 blinks -- click once here! (this sets 1 mode of MAX)

6) wait til the 2 blinks then 3 blinks - click once here! (this will disable moon mode)

7) then press&hold til the blinking stops (skips the rest of the settings)

If all went well, from OFF, 1 click to ON at max, from ON 1 click to OFF. Doing other things like press&hold, double clicks could lead to other things happening, so avoid those operations. If you stay with 1 clicks, should work the way you want it.

That sounds like my version. Maybe I’m doing it wrong. After it flashes twice to indicate the second setting #, should I click up to 12 times for a 1-12 mode set?

That's only if you are in Mode Sets state first. If you are in ramping, you have to first change to the Mode sets state. Then once operating in Mode sets, you can change which set of levels you use.

Mode Sets state in Narsil/M is really not so easy to use. I didn't spend much effort on it once ramping became so popular. If I was to fix it, I would have done it more like Anduril does it, at which point it became clear that Anduril was the solution to mode levels, as well as other issues. So to continue with NarsilM became pointless.

Yeah, I was only playing with mode set for giggles and then when it confused me it became a challenge. LOL. So to be clear, I should wait for it to flash the # of the mode set and then click once or click 1-12 times after the 2 flashes indicates I’m in mode sets?

No - it doesn't flash the # of mode sets. If you are currently in modes and want to change the # of modes, then wait for the 2 blinks (2nd setting), then click 1 to 12 times to choose the # of modes.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I will try later. I was looking for a top lumen level not subject to thermal stepdown. I thought maybe step modes might be easier to find one. With ramping I am always guessing how much to ramp down from turbo. I set the thermal step down level as high as possible but it seems to be too variable to control it. I don’t care for timed step down and no step down seems dangerous if it falls into the wrong hands. Does anyone know the approximate lumens a Q8 can run continuously?

Not sure if anyone did that kind of test, it's very much subject to room temp, air movement, etc., then what exactly to you mean by running continuously, another words, what temp is considered acceptable. I would think it would be in the 45-50C range, outside surface temp. If you hold it, probably will do better.

OK, figured out how to choose from the 12 mode sets. Chose 3-29-full. .29x5000 = approximately 1450 lumens. Tonight is 22 degrees out, fresh 30Qs, hardly any heat build up to speak of in a 15 minute walk. Maybe 3 hour run time potential I’m guessing assuming 3000 mah = ~1000 lumens for 1 hour. I know that is a lot of estimating but should be in the ball park?

From the off position, the green light on the power button blinks twice every five seconds. If I hold the power down button (even up to 30 seconds) nothing happens. When you remove the batteries does it reset?

No, reset can be found here:

I’m not sure but that may be low voltage warning. Try charging your batteries.

Oh boy, I'd have to look that up, but does sound like maybe LVP (Low Voltage Protection).