(BLF) Sofirn Q8 V1.5: The XPL HI monster, DIY parts + Extended 8x18650 tubes GB Interest List

Following

1x lantern tube and 1x original Q8 tube please.

To bad the original Q8 extension tube is not happening. Now that the 3V XHP50 is out Led4Power will sell much more of his Q8 ledboards. Would have been nice to get the runtime upgrade with the tube extension!
No heavy modding needed. Change of leds (wires + springs) and add the tube.
10000+ lumen for short times with usable runtime (on lower levels).

… and widen the opening of the reflector to 5mm. Now its something around 4mm.

Ok this one i forgot. But it is not rocket sience. Yeah you could ruin the reflector if you are having two left hands but i think most people that are capable of soldering are also capable of opening the reflector from 4 to 5mm.
The end result would be a light with ~ 3x the output of a unmodified Q8.
It will get hot very fast thats a fact. But imagin a Q8 with extension tube capable of 10000-15000 lumen on turbo.And many many hours of runtime on low and mid mode.
This led combination could revive the Q8 modding a lot.
I think the light was not modded “so often” because it was to good from the start.
Sure you could get a better CRI value going with different leds. And you could gain a few %. But there was nothing out there that would give you 2-3x the output without doing some heavy modding.
Now it is easier than ever before.
A nice option would be a upgrade set out of presolderd ledboard (with 3V XHP50), Blue Springs, maybe a new optimized reflector (orange peel) with centering rings and the extension tube.
But i am dreaming again :innocent:

Hallo TheOnlyDocc,

I totally agree. Maybe it’s worth mentioning your ideas here, too: Andúril 2 coming to Sofirn - The general Sofirn development thread
But I’m afraid the communication is a bit tricky these days, see here: Andúril 2 coming to Sofirn - The general Sofirn development thread - #465 by Lux-Perpetua

Viele Grüße
Thomas

Can we get an update from Sofirn about whether the tubes will be made or not? There are already the Q8 and the LT1 (hopefully) that can use extensions. The Lantern already makes sense to use extensions to get more runtime. The Q8 is okay in stock form, but mods like changing to a 3V XHP emitter will make it more of a candidate for extensions. Some of us have already wanted extensions for some time.

sofirn has got the material of tube ready but the machines are very busy. So, it takes time.

But for lantern tube extensions, I don’t know about the necessity.

Thanks for the update, Barry. Looking forward to some impressive runtimes with 8 batteries when they’re ready. I was in for just a set for the BLF Q8 but I’ve now got a Sofirn Q8 in the mail so will end up getting 1 set for each Q8 (2 sets total).

Hi Barry, is that you in your avatar picture? Just wondering :slight_smile:

It’s actually Bruce Lee as Kato in The Green Hornet TV series.

:beer: thanks, I’m clearly not into that sub-culture :slight_smile:

Nice to hear that the extension tubes are still going to come out! Lantern tubes would be necessary if you go on a camping trip where you can’t recharge the batteries and therefore need 8 or 12 or 16 18650 :smiling_imp: . I don’t mind waiting as long as they come out at least this year. :wink: You mean the machines are busy with the SP70 or other unknown lights? Alright, then go on producing! :+1: :money_mouth_face:

In that use of taking extra batteries, it could be nice if the extension tubes come with a screw-on cap on the top side. Preferably plastic btw because it must keep the batteries insulated from the tube.

You guys are very optimistic. This hardly seems like any further confirmation that they will produce anything, maybe even the opposite since they still dont see the benefit

Not really “optimistic” so much as “desperately hopeful” because some of us do need these extensions for some of our lights!

diffuser you wished is coming!

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2pcs-lot-White-diffuser-for-sofirn-C01-C01S-SP10-SF14-Q8/2933049_32991805908.html

Looks good. I’ve been wanting another Q8 diffuser cap. :slight_smile:

Now if I can get aliexpress to let me create an account…

Huh? You’ve had problems with creating an Aliexpress account?

Yeah… not sure why. I’ll have to see if I can get it to work in another browser or something. So far though, I can’t create an account because it says the account already exists. I can’t recover the password because it says the account doesn’t exist. I can’t check out as a guest because it says the account exists and I need to sign in. And these things happen even with brand new email addresses I created just for this purpose. It’s quite buggy.

So maybe a different browser might work, or I could make a brand new google or facebook account just for the sole purpose of signing into aliexpress, or … something. I’ll figure something out.