(BLF) Sofirn Q8 V1.5: The XPL HI monster, DIY parts + Extended 8x18650 tubes GB Interest List

with the older stuff i was using, the amps create more heat than the volts do for the same figure of watts, but, non of the ebay stuff had atmels etc, all pwm, and current control with LM regs.(burned a few fingers with the mosfet’s version of watts heat lol)

ahh yes, the actual led size, thank you.

and i’ll catch up with my posts now…sy… :+1:

duly noted

missed your reply Tom, it was at the very top of the page as i was darting about with other posts appearing before mine lol…sy.

is there a 12v driver that would cope with 4 Series batteries, with the atmel included, i have to admit i do like the programmable aspect quite a lot.

…………………

that aside, i have just checked my MT07s with the xhp 70.2, it is the 12v version, and running on hi for 2300lumins it soon gets to 40 degrees after 8 ish minutes, at 10-15 minutes its hitting 58degree’s C, to hot to hold and the silicone switch starts feeling a bit tacky.(i havent hit the ramp down on booste yet though, i think thats set at 85C).
i have another zoom flashlight that has an xhp50 in it, i think its a chinese version, takes 2600mah at the battery end (2s1p) on hi and never gets past warm.
the heads a 50 ish mm big focusing lens with 4 or 5 short fins on the outer. no reflecter, shelved.

so maybe 4x 35.2’s would be feezable heat wise in the Q8

Look at my earlier post. I included a picture of Lexels 8A Buck driver. I even included a link to his thread.

No way it’s set to 85C. It should be closer to 50C-55C. It sounds like your driver might not be stepping down properly or is out of calibration. The whole point of it is so people won’t get burned. Unfortunately, I don’t know that much about the MT07S.

Edit: In Terry Whites review he said the hottest his got was 46°C after about 10 min on Turbo.

I can’t find the official temperature limit that it is supposed to step down at.

I did see that the thermal limit can be temporarily turned off, but it should reset once battery power is disconnected.

i’ll see if it steps down after removing the batteries.

and ahh yes i looked at the link, lexal has quite a few on the go, thank you.

i have some programming kit arriving in the next couple of days, i dare say a week from now i’ll be winging on about that subject lol. i get the jist, bar the fuses part, just got to imploment something, i think the convoy C8 will be the guinea pig there.

after that… hmmm seriously temped to try the sofirn or BLF Q8 with the 35.2’s. It’s knowing when to stop isnt it? he he he…no, i’m not an addict, but don’t look in the cupboards.

I’m sure we will see some xhp35 Q8’s soon.

Maybe there are some already? I don’t know if Lexel has made any Q8 buck drivers yet. Maybe someone has ordered some or maybe he is just planning to make some.

I hope he does.

Heres the hot time for the MT07S XHP 70.2 11.
Running the laser thermometer up and down the head, switch and handle area.
1 minute…… 30c
2 minutes…. 35c
3……………… 39c
4……………… 41c
5……………… 44c
6……………… 47c
7……………… 50c
8……………… 52c
9……………… 55c
10…………… 56c

@ 11 minutes the handle/battery bay was 49c and i switched it off. no sign of a step down.

17 minutes the cool down was to 43c (10 minutes later). 22 minutes it was 40c

cells are the panosonic NCR18650B 3.7V 3400mAh 18650 non protected @ 50 percent charge. (i believe their maxed out at a 5 amp continuous discharge)

just looking for the step down UI.

Brightness and Runtime:

Low: 200 Lumens 30 hours
Medium I: 550 Lumens 11 hours
Medium II: 1300 Lumens; 270 minutes
High: 2300 Lumens 150 minutes
Hidden Turbo:5000Lumens 90 minutes (double click at any time)
Double click again:Strobe

Hidden Moonlight:2 Lumens 45 days (In off status A long click for 2 seconds to access moonlight. )

Thermal control Remove / Activation:MT07S comes with thermal control by default. If you want to remove thermal step-down , turn the moonlight mode on first and press the switch for 3 seconds to remove thermal control function. When you see a signal flash, it means the thermal control function has been removed, and MT07S will have no step down any more.

no sign of a thermal step down still reading 57c at the head and 49 at the handle at the same times as above, the LVP flash’s though so i’ll have to wait to see if the thermal protection is on when it flash’s, and not switch’s the moonlight mode off as stated.

looks like a reflash to Narzil. yes i’m itching to try a program flash lol.

I don’t think you can reflash the stock driver.

Sorry, I’ve been a bit behind on this thread. I’ve heard from at least a dozen people with the same issue on Anduril though, unsure how to get back to smooth ramping, so it’s not just a Narsil thing. It’s more that some people don’t use the internet (or even read the manual) to find answers. They really should check BLF or another similar group, or at least do a web search, but some just aren’t willing to bother.

Anyway, if I try to sell it, I should do something to it to distinguish it from the stock version.

ouch, thats a bum deal, typical too these days.

still waiting on batteries to finish the step down issue, then i suppose it contact the vendor.

An easier way to switch between ramping and mode groups will be extremely welcome for any non-flashoholic who owns a Q8.

Among which are many many people who functionally use the Q8 for their work or for camping trips and are very happy with the great flashlight with the easy ramping UI, but suddenly it acts weird and their beloved ramping does not work anymore ( = fiddled long enough with the switch to accidentally change to stepped mode groups). They do not have the basic skills or will to find out that the trick to get back to ramping is: hold3.5seconds~~Q8starts blinking>wait for two short blinks one longpress1time fast enough before configuration switches to choose mode set~~>hold until 4 fast blinks to exit.

It happened just last week to a collegue of mine who I talked into buying a Q8 and it has been his favourite light for almost a year now, he got stuck in stepped mode groups and even with the manual (that I printed for him) next to his Q8 he did not manage to get back to ramping.

Perhaps a very basic sequence (9 fast clicks?) that always gets you back to ramping/default setting (circumventing the configuration mode) will do. (via app or phone: “my Q8 quit working”, answer: “try 9 fast clicks”, “yeah thanks that worked!”)

3 clicks when on returns to ramping in Anduril from the step mode. Really simple and easy.

I did not know that because I do not own any Anduril flashlight (yet :slight_smile: ). So it appears that ToyKeeper fixed that ages ago :+1:
It would have been handy for my collegue too though…

Follow the guide to the dotted lines… :wink:

Okay, so that is 3 fast clicks when ON.

3 fast clicks from OFF is battery check.

I’m not saying that’s a bad design, but I have the feeling I’m going to be accidently switching out of ramping mode a lot until I get it in my head to only check the voltage from OFF. :smiley:

Yeah, there are lots of things to remember. I tried to make it easier by keeping things relatively consistent though. In general, the following guidelines were used:

• 1 click: off
  • Hold: adjust upward
  • Click, hold: adjust downward
  • 2 clicks: next (if there is such a thing as “next”)
  • 3 clicks: twiddle whatever can be easily twiddled in this mode
  • 4 clicks: config menu

All of these are context-sensitive so they’ll do whatever is relevant for the current mode, if there is anything relevant available.

I just set my Q8 to 4S with …
Again, please put me in for a set of extended tubes.

are you going try the xhp35.2’s?