BLF Thorfire interest group

+1 great idea

Thanks what a nice light. I wish they would resurrect it :slight_smile:

The VG-10 has forward clicky switch right? would that work in a C8?

OK sofar we have these preferences for a “host only groupbuy” :

- C8s/VG10/TG06 with everything but no LED emitter

- everything but - no LED, no MCPCB, and no driver

- everything but - no star no emitter and no driver.

- C8s tailcap only including switch (Reddit preference)

- Different colored rubber buttons only for tailcap

• C8s tailcap with forward switch

feel free to chime in :+1:

Yeh. Loooove it. :smiley:

Dunno if it’d fit a C8. Hmm, never even thought to try. :smiley:

Most UIs are geared for RC switches, ie, it’s on, and you lightly bap the switch to get to the mode you want. With a FC, you have to do that with the light off, and see how it lights up with a momentary press. Just “different”, not better nor worse.

For a tac-light, you want/need a FC switch, to be able to do a flash’n’dash, ie, a quick momentary press to light up something and then move on, vs having to loudly click it on and then loudly click it off as you would with a RC switch.

But with a FC switch, if you have it on low and want to go to medium, then yes, you’ll have to turn it off, then bap it to go to medium, and then click it to “stick”, or bap it again for the next/next/next… mode until you get to the one you want.

With a 1-mode light, FC absolutely rules…

Flashlight body with no LED emitter and no driver is the most welcomed. Then what price you think would be a competitive price of VG10 host with no emitter and no driver? Thanks.

I don’t know of anyone else who’s doing this, but what about a stock VG10, only in kit form? Ie, same reflector, driver, emitter, etc., but unassembled. Let whoever wants to swap the emitter, do so. Same for the driver.

For ~10bux, I say the VG10’s pretty much one of the best bargains I’ve gotten in a long time. I can’t see the price going any lower without you guys taking a beating.

Well, that, and the DV-S9. :smiley:

Psst… Psst… Offer 5000K or 4500K, and you’ll have a winner! (Tint: 3A, 3D, 4A, or 4D. Yummy!)

(Dunno if a Nichia 219 can take that many amps w/o serious work.)

I also took the belt clip off my VG10, I found it useless as it was almost impossible to actually clip it to a belt. The tactical ring is nice though.

A empty host version of the VG10 would be nice, something around $8-10 for the host would be about right compared to other options in the same size range.

The biggest change I would recommend to the light for modders would be the use of a direct thermal path mcpcb. They should cost only slightly more then a normal star but work much better.

I would also offer a true neutral tint LED, something in the 4500-5000k range is the most popular around here. A 219C 90CRI LED works really nice in the VG10 as well.

Lastly the stock driver that came in my light was not good, it offers no regulation even though it is a buck driver. If you are going to put an expensive buck driver in the light you would be much better off to make it work as it should even with an 18650 battery and not just cr123’s.

Narsil has a user configurable moon mode level, limited to 1 to 7 for the PWM value. Thought of doing exactly what you are saying though for all modes, until smooth ramping kind of made fixed mode sets obsolete.