Boater compact thrower suggestions

There is a comparison of the Acebeam L17, E10, and Manker MC13 here

More beamshot comparisons of the MC13 and others. I believe the MC13 is being compared to the C8S with W1, LH351D, and SST40 emitters in these beam shots.
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/6845471620

There is a group buy on the MC13 right now. It is also the first flashlight to use the CULNM1.TG, which is the highest intensity emitter in existence.

Interesting. The MC13 beam throw seems very similar to the Acebeam L17. I can’t find much review tech data on the MC13 since it’s pretty new. Like to know the runtime and throw of high setting. I’d have a hard time choosing between the two. I’d opt for the 18650 tube for the MC13.

How can I find that group buy?

MC13 uses one of the white flats, output is pretty high for WF1 so likely the 2. It also has similar optics to the Acebeam E10 and L17, possibly the exact same as one or both.

Just about every light suggested in this thread uses one of them.

The MC13, E10 and L17 are some of the best options due to bright spill being blinding like already mentioned. Their TIR optics have a very wide spill, but it’s much dimmer than that from a light using a reflector.

I like both MC13 and L17. Either would be a good choice IMO for the reasons you stated. K1 W1 seems like a popular suggestion due to great throw but reflector spill makes it less desirable to me.

So how do I get into group buy for MC13?

Yeah K1 is also much larger than any of these and has a truly “pencil” beam. It’s extremely tight and focused - the XHP35 HI option for it would almost be a great fit, but that has even brighter spill.

If there is an MC13 GB/coupon it will either be in a thread here or at M4DM4X.com, highly suggest joining that. Max shares some really great deals.

One thing to consider is that Manker lights have sometimes been “misses” instead of hits on build quality and designs that withstand lots of abuse. Acebeam is very well regarded in those factors, and I say from experience that they really do have great fit and finish + designs that aim for durability and longevity. Often the same or better than you’d see from Streamlight, Surefire, etc.

BLF special group buy for the Manker MC13 and E14 III can be found here [UPDATED M4D deal] Manker “EDC Muscle Combo – BLF Limited”
The Mankers should be pretty efficient and last quite a while with the Boost HL emitter as long as it is not always blasted on full turbo. Per manufacturer specs, the driver is constant current circuit (Non-PWM)!

Or if you are willing to pay $200. This is the ultimate light for your purpose
The Jaxman Z1 is one of the highest quality zoomies out there and this is modded with the SBT90.2 with lens removed. You can have flood or pure throw with zero spill.
https://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/jaxman-z1vn-large-zoomie

Thanks. Something to think think about.

Quality, durability in a light used for these purposes is pretty important. I’ve only heard good things about Acebeam and very popular.

WOW, a beast but pricey one. If I only had $$ to burn.

I think this is a good situation for multiple lights (well, what job doesn’t require multiple flashlights for a flashaholic, right? lol)

I like a zoomie on the water for two reasons:

• The lack of spill cuts through haze and spray better. Spill from reflector lights can be problematic at times.
  • Often I’m trying to light up the shoreline and only the shoreline and it’s 100 yards away. I’m not trying to light up the campsite or even “those bushes over there”.

I find CCT in the 3500 range works well for me, cool white is especially glaring on the water, but ultra-warm CCTs like 2700K or 3000K don’t seem to work well for me in this use case (love them for other outdoors activities like camping/hiking).

BUT (as mentioned) zoomies are heavy and not as water-tight as “regular” lights. You can tie a piece of foam or a beer koozie (my preference for a makeshift float, lol but it works great) to the lanyard to keep it from sinking, but it can still get water ingress if you drop it.

So I’d carry the zoomie as a primary, and keep a backup of some sort that you trust to be water tight (test it at home).

Honestly, I always have at least three on the boat:

1. primary zoomie
  2. backup in my pocket, backpack, or nearby
  3. emergency backup that lives in the boat storage box permanently (use lithium primaries for temperature stability and long life storage)

Thats kind of been my thought, 2 lights (backup). I even considered a long thrower and short thrower light. I’ve already been brainstorming float idea for the lights but the koozie is a new one.

Any zoomies in mind?

Been going through the boating forums and finding the Derrelight NM800-4S very popular amongst boaters. They swear by the aspheric lens usefulness out on the water.

I have a handfull of Brynite B158 and B158b with various emitters and drivers since it used to be cheap ($30) and is super easy to mod. I see fewer listings and higher prices these days though.

Jaxman Z1 is a good light, slightly biggger/chunkier (26650 vs 18650 tube) which can be a good or bad thing (if I don’t mind the size/weight, I really like the chunkier fit in my hand).

Not sure the Acebeam L17 is available yet. Any suggestion of where to order?

I signed up for the Manker group buy. Might as well give it a try.

BLF member, M4D M4X, got a special discount for the L17 for us. Buy through his link so he gets some commission.
https://deals.m4dm4x.com/2020/07/24/acebeam-l17/

Hmm. I found that link earlier but until my registration to M4D M4X is approved, I don’t think the discount works. Thx for the info.

Edit: Registration approved but the link for the L17 goes to plain old list price $74.60, no discount. Is that right?

Says the guy with a boat. :wink:

LOL…Boat burns it all. Actually got Jetski at moment. Gonna swap to boat soon.

It’s in stock at Killzone Flashlights now.

Thanks. I’m getting in on the Manker group buy so passing on the L17 for now.