Bored with flashlights at the moment... Did this happen to you?

Mine looks like an FM signal tho :stuck_out_tongue:

Sunny days coming, less dark hours, less flashlight use…

Did this ever happen to you? Yes

Any suggestion? Take a break , summer is soon then you can find alternate hobbies, or activities.
I admit from September to April for me is flashlight season, during spring and summer not so much flashlight goings on

I definitely have a lull in flashlight interest over the summer. When it’s winter and every evening dog hike is lit exclusively by flashlight, I have a much more vested interest in keeping up with the latest and greatest. I do enjoy being out in nature after dark either way though.

Im bored with the current offerings as well. Reason is that most manufacturers focus on max lumens instead on reliability, great user interface or a sensible product lineup. There are so many lights that i dropped from my interest list due to various annoying features like poor mode spacing, pwm issues etc. Second reason is that i buy only lights that for which i have practical use. Most people unless they work in search or rescue dont need things like laser-like throwers for spotting things from 20 miles away. And buying something like this only to impress friends with turbo mode or to spot chickens in your yard is somewhat childish.

Oh yeah, I took this winter off from lights. I had 2 lights and a headlamp stolen from my truck while camping.
Every time I thought of lights I thought of some thief taking mine. Got my upset, even kept me up late a few nights.

I gifted a Nitecore NU30 to my father in law, who also has the MH20 I gifted him a few years ago.

Sometime in February he wanted me to get a couple more for his sons. Ended up buying one for myself and I am using it now as I type. While a was researching I ended up getting interested in the Emisar D4 again. I ordered one. Along with a driver for a H02 headlamp. The UI sounds sweet. If I like it I might try the D1 also.

Unno. I’m not into fancy (read: pricey) lights, and lower-priced lights I use either bone-stock or get it knowing I’m gonna mod it beyond recognition (eg, F13, S2+, etc.). Mostly, sideswitch lights, glued heads, etc., are in the former, whereas lights with easily-replaceable stuff are in the latter.

Even my L2s are shelf-queens at this point. Well, box-queens. I used my C8Fs and now C8A (damn, still no beamshots) for throwy brightness. I like the C8S, too. But I’ve used my SP10B indoors almost exclusively for a while, trying to burn off half-dead alkies from my TK4A, which I use to try to burn off the waaaay-too-many alkie AAs I unearthed.

There’s not much recently which gets me all jazzed. There are nice lights, sure, but while I’d love to play with a GT for a while, I can’t see myself actually using it for anything. I get way more mileage out of my lowly RJ02 than even any C8 variant. Hell, I tailstand my bobofett light as a temporary “nightlight”.

Other than some recent really warm (as in 2000K) LEDs which I’m itchin’ to use, there’s not much to get me motivated to go crazy modding anything.

Plus, with some recent changes as far as codes/coupons, sales (flash or otherwise), “points”, etc., I doubt I’m going to be buying all that much anymore. Before, it was, “Ooh, S2+ for 7bux? Gimme.”, even if I’d only get Yet Another S2+ to use as a host for, well, something, but not anymore, not for roughly twice as much.

All of my hobbies and activities seem to have cycles of interest for me, including flashlights. After being away for awhile, I cruised by BLF a few months ago, and my interest picked up again. Now I’ve recently picked up 5 more lights to add to my small collection, and I still need to get a good 18350 one. I’m having fun messing around with all of my lights. Some are carried, some are mainly shelf queens. Works for me. The longest real constant interest for me has been league bowling, working on 18 straight seasons so far. I think it’s competition that drives that for me.

I went on a buying spree the last 6 weeks or so and am done for awhile. Like most, in Summer I rarely buy flashlights, but when Sept comes, all of a sudden BLF is looking like a really good, fun place to hang out over Winter and then the bug bites again. Next Winter I will be very selective as I have more than enough flashlights already, so it's going to have to be something really special to catch my eye. Starting to get into modding now and it's way more fun than just buying a light.

S2+ with a shorty tube. Throw in a TIR lens, tweak the driver, go crazy…

I don’t lose interest but I get to the point where it’s just a matter of USING flashlights as opposed to a more HOBBY oriented interest

But then something breaks or wears out or I need batteries or something and I go on line to fix or replace it and I am overwhelmed by the new technology

I research and fret and worry and go on forums ( :wink: ) and listen to guys like you hash it out and do much of my research for me (thanks by the way) and I generally get sucked in all over again….

Rinse and repeat on kind of a year or two cycle

This time around I have a new Olight S2r and a Convoy S2+ and a new charger and a bunch of new batteries to show for the current round of being in HOBBY mode

Michael

Cant say I get bored with my flashlights, but do get bored when it seems its all the same stuff being put out. I have taken a few breaks from BLF to come back to some really cool new advances.
Problem right now is I have about 20 lights, and about half need some sort of modding. But lately it seems everything I try to do results in negative effects… My s41s for example. I upgraded it with an x5 driver and lighted tail cap. Once I got the 18650 tube, I realized the x5 driver can not handle the current… at least thats what I figured from feedback on a thread I posted about it and testing it in other various configurations… So today I desoldered the bleed resistor off my x5 driver and put it on my a6 driver that came in it, and I basically get the same results… works fine, until I try to put it in turbo. Get a quick flash of turbo then bumps down to moon. Same issues, different driver that is supposed to handle it. Killed my x5 driver in the process of desoldering the resistor, at least I considered it killed. Some other components got desoldered also and tossed it. Now my once favorite light is sitting on the corner of my desk pretty much unusable… :person_facepalming:

I’ve spent quite a lot of money on lights over the years, but now I’ve tried everything that looks interesting to me and I’ve learned what I actually like.

I’m much more selective these days. I mostly stick to buying lights which seem to have clear potential to be a better EDC, work or emergency light than the ones I already have. Beyond that, I only make an occasional exception for a light that interests me from a technical perspective.

Last year, I spent a lot less on lights :+1:

I’m still keeping an eye on things, though. That’s partly to know when something new comes out that I might have a use for, and partly to read about all the interesting stuff that people on BLF are up to :slight_smile:

Me too. Exactly.

If I was just collecting lights I would be bored very quickly, I only really need five or six lights.
The modding & building keeps me interested/ happy :slight_smile:

Lucky enough that flashlights for me is not just for collection but tools as a mechanic as well :).

I'm currently fortunate enough to have the money to afford multiple flashlights and we're at the best time ever for flashlights.

I was so pumped when I got my first 2xAA maglight. "OMG it's so small and awesome!!!". I was a teenager trying to hack in new car stereos or trying to see the back of a D150 in a black road case. Nothing as exciting these days, I would've freaked out on the tech we have now.

I remember going in the windowless bathroom and trying to navigate with my old digital watch with red LEDs that you had to press the button to display the time. That was junior high, how time flies. But yeah, I get bored too.

The boredom with the hobby might be because I have enough lights for a small army facing multiple lighting demands and I don't use a fraction of it. My collection mocks me, and there are more on the way.

We'll be getting out to do some camping soon and I'll have everyone kitted up with headlamps and pocket carried lights, then I will be in my groove.

Had an idea to keep things fresh tonight: mixing flashlights with my other hobby; knives and multitools. I will pair them so I can have combos for varying levels of preparedness or ability.

Even with all of my lights I still usually carry an SC62d and a Victorinox Tinker, Super Tinker, or Deluxe Tinker when I go out in the world. Tomorrow I'm gonna try my S-Mini Ti and Leatherman Micra for a lightweight combo.

If you get bored with lights you could always stop by multitool.org forums for a change of pace. ;)

I would suggest saying a rosary and then when you have the time watch a YouTube video on the Spyderco paramilitary 2