Brass lined wood battery tubes?

Hmm, my first guess was teak but coming from a trestle that doesn’t sound right. I’ll have to do one of each and see how they turn out. If I’m careful I might be able to get 4 18650 blanks for each 2 1/2” length of 8/4 and 1 18650 + 3 14650 (Micromag) from the 7/4. Enough wood there to keep me busy for a while. In any case I won’t be tossing anything unless it’s too small for even hearing aid cells.

Did some ggg and teak was used sometimes in RR construction for it’s strength and rot resistance. If it is then you got some $ there JA.

I’ve already done a touch switch. The two brass studs at the top of the leather grip activate the red laser. Just move a thumb to turn on/off.

this is IMHO misuse of a time machine and might alter the course of human history .

you have been reported to the time police

Hey Scott, these look awesome! I love the way that oiled oak looks on that bare A6. I want one.

For those that have not seen the build thread on the RBD ray gun light heres a link to the build thread.

I for one dont understand the patience this guy has. His abilities and creativity are second to no one.

I’ve cut single cell blanks for A6 and X6 tubes using all the woods I have and drilled 3 of them for brass tubes, curly maple, black walnut, and the mystery wood which I’m still leaning towards teak but no expert. I only have a couple shorty tubes and ordered some more but the possibilities I have on the shelf are A6 and X6 of course, plus C8 , Solarforce L2, and Minimag AA tubes(specify length). I haven’t yet glued the threaded ends on yet as I’m not sure which one I’d like to keep. They can be done with or without the clip land, using the stock aluminum land(as pictured above)or milled from the wood section.

Not sure if I want to know why no one copies me.

My thumb tells you why I dont copy you.

I got to see this one in person last weekend when Scott brought it to the mini BLF get-together.

Gorgeous!

Curly maple sounds like it would be beautiful on a bare aluminum tube light, like my A6. Dibs!

Seriously though, I’m not kidding when I say I want one. There are no prices listed here and I’m almost afraid to ask, but I really am interested. I think I’d want mine with all bare aluminum, so based off of a bare aluminum tube. My bare shorty tube has been in shipping for weeks and isn’t here yet but when it finally arrives I may just turn it around and send it to you.

Sorry about the lack of pricing, I was holding off until I made sure I had something worth doing and paying for. Do you use the clip? I can make the wood slightly shorter and leave the aluminum clip section as part of the tail threads or eliminate it (no place for clip but more wood) or turn the wood for the clip to clasp wood instead of aluminum(this would cause wear on the wood but some might prefer it anyway). Also, for those that do spring bypasses I can make them a few mm longer to reduce spring compression and flex of the bypasses.

emarcd, Let me know via pm what features you want and I’ll make it to that spec whether you end up buying it or not. For now the blanks will just get turned to the correct OD.

I got the tubes glued into the blanks a few days ago and was able to spend a few hours today turning them on the drill press and giving them some oil finish. Lots of hand sanding and grain raising in between as well. The ends aren’t trimmed square or to the proper length but here’s a taste of how they look on my bare A6. First the Maple with natural stain.
Then the Oak with natural stain again.
Mystery wood, still thinking Teak since it has the color, density, and prominent light colored pores with a dark Walnut stain.
And finally Walnut with dark walnut stain.
Here they are side by side to show a better grain and color comparison. I just received my order of A6 and X6 ano shorty tubes (short one X6 tube) and will ream and cut an X6 tube so we can see how they look against a black ano host. Also will be prepping a few more samples including the White Oak, Redwood Burl, and Mahogany. I haven’t ordered any bare shorty tubes which is why you see the black one here.

They all look good but that mystery one especially so. It will be interesting to see how the others look.

wauw! Thiss looks amazing!

Awesome! I think I like oak the most

WOW!!! those look great! classy!

Here they are on an X6.

If i had a lathe I would. Or try at least.

They are beautiful. Especially the walnut.

I don't get this step:

Why do you use the step drill? Can't you just use the forstner bit?