Breaking -- Breaking Copper Base Stars at Fasttech 20/16mm

Love the comic relief guys. Good to see such inventive ways to improve heatsinking abilities. I would love it more if FT started carrying better designed copper MCPCBs. I knew I should have bought more SinkPads from Nitro.

What I'd like to know is, all this talk about XM-L2 U2s, where do you guys get them? Any U2s available other than cool white?

http://intl-outdoor.com/led-xml2-c-107_136.html

Will have decent copper mcpcb’s soon……

Edit, not u2 (sorry)

Thanks Hopback.

Though those are T6s and are easy to come by. Higher binned L2 - U2s with 4300-5000K are the ones I'm after.

Yeah, sorry to get your hopes up, I should have read your post more thoroughly!

That does not exist… It never existed with XM-L either, so you might be in for a long wait… :wink: (or do you know something I dont know???)
I have requested XM-L2 U2 that goes down towards 5700K. I think Hank (IOS) will get them in stock since they have the potential to become quite popular. High output, but as little blu-ish tint as possible. It should be a nice CW.
If you want below 5000K you are looking at T6 bin.
(I have made the same request to FT too)

No worries. Like RaceR86 mentioned. Just a pipe dream.

But a light meter is more sensitive to brightness than the human eye. I dont have a light meter, but someone who does should easily be able to determine how much influence the solder layer actually has.

If anyone intrerested, I have tested a 20mm Fasttech copper + a cheap DX 18mm copper + a standard xm-l T6 alu star. The dieletric layer has been cut out on both copper star.

+ a note: the DX star is much thinner than the Fasttech star, 1.1mm vs 1.6mm

the setup:

here is what I got:

16mm alu xm-l T6:
1A 387lumen
2A 678lumen
3A 892lumen
3.5A 968lumen
4A 1025lumen

Fasttech 20mm copper star xm-l T6:
1A 390lumen
2A 706lumen
3A 973lumen
3.5A 1078lumen
4A 1168lumen

The 18mm DX copper star provided almost the same values as the Fasttech star, only with a few lumen difference (max 4-5lumen). It looks that the star thickness does not count so much.

Nightcrawl, how long did you run that test for?

Thanks for testing.

-Garry

Odd that fasttech would clearly say the dielectric is there, they are the ones who would benefit from saying its not with highly increased sales.

I believe he meant that he himself cut the dialectric

correct, i didn’t catch that