BTU Shocker XM-L2 U2 or XM-L U2

With all the talk about the amazing BTU Shocker around here, I am really tempted to order one even thought I don’t know why :wink:
my brighest/floodiest flashlight is a SRK (XM-L) and I am almost ready to get to the next level. I don’t even know what I will be using with this one for.

There are two versions XM-L2 U2 and XM-L U2. Is there a noticeable difference in output between these two emitters, and/or heat.
There is a $20 difference between the two version so, does anyone know if it is worth the price increase.
XM-L2
XM-L
So if no difference, I go for the cheap one :stuck_out_tongue:

I have both. You’re not going to see any substantial differences between the two, even when comparing them directly side by side while peering down a 3000’ level runway. IMO, put the extra money Im about to save you towards a good set of batteries to power it.

BTU Shocker for $90 (with coupon bgf156)

Have fun with your awesome new light.

XM-L2 can be driven harder, but that's limited by the driver and mcpcb. I planned on swapping the LEDs/mcpcb's, so I went with the XM-L version. I think they're using the BTU driver, so I'll need to get a DRY driver separately to get the output I desire. It goes for $90 at Banggood if you use the code _the_ posted in the Banggood deals thread.

Unless you’re into modding flashlights: (removing the domes off your emitters, soldering copper wires to reduce resistance and refocusing the reflectors, etc) I think you’ll be more than happy with it in its stock form. Even the additional 1 amp difference in turbo mode isnt that much brighter to the human eyes… definitely noticeable, but not to great effect. :wink:

Yep, that's why I won't be too upset if I don't have enough time to mod the one I ordered from BG before my next trip.