Budget headlamp with high CRI LED

Thanks mate, I’ll check it out.

I have the Spark SD52-NW. Runs on 2-AA’s, and is a nice neutral white tint. I also bought the extra screw in bezel that acts like a mule type bezel for all flood. It comes with the bezel that has a reflector that provides focused beam. It is a great headlamp that is very well built and has a simple UI.

http://www.spark-light.com/2013/products/SD52-NW.html

I’ve got a Princeton Tec Yukon HL that I like. It’s got a good working flood, and the throw mode/LED is pretty good too. I know it’s not in the same category that you’re talking, but I like mine and it has worked well. You can get it for $20-25 as STP if you watch for their many deals. Right now it’s $30 on there which I still think is a good price. Just a possibility/suggestion.

Hey Rockspider, keep that uf-h3 body and stick a nichia-219 in it. I did that a couple of years ago and it still is my goto headlight. Check out the build I posted in my signature. It took some time and effort but was worth it.

curious if the crelant headlamp has horrible pwm like the ultrafire or lots of other ramping drivers

I wondered this also. Did a search but couldn’t find any mention of crelant and PWM, so I assume its current controlled. I’ll find out in a couple of weeks :bigsmile:

I have 2 Crelant CH10 Headlights and can confirm that there is no PWM at all.

I verify this by shining the light thru the side window at my computer fans.
If PWM exists then the fan blades appear in stop-action.

The Crelant CH10 has high and low modes. Both modes have infinite ramping and
there is no discernable stop-action PWM at any level.

Because you can set your own levels without PWN and the battery is in front, this is a great light.
Only Drawback for a big head (7-5/8 hat size), the head band is tight, but wearable. The head band
does not fit over a construction helmet.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/CRELANT-CH10-Cree-XM-L2-Stepless-Dimming-460-lumens-Headlamp-1-x-18650-or-2-x/1193462_1821903792.html

I have been following this thread hoping to find a decent, budget, value head lamp (will be my first) for some time.

Stepless Dimming? Yes, that is the claim.

I’m buying!

Any news, djozz? Can you tell me a bit more about the light (F10) please, I find it quite interesting. Strobe is not hidden, right?

I also have a Crelant CH10 in what they refer to as ‘warm white’, which is actually neutral. It’s very good value for the $25 or so they sell for - overall construction is excellent, there’s no PWM, and the power levels go way down into the sub-lumen region.

The negatives, if I’m being picky, are that the scrolling is quite fast and it takes a bit of practice to actually select a sub-lumen low. It is also a fairly ‘spotty’ beam, and not the full-flood that I prefer. I solved that by creating a diffuser for myself out of a shard of fluorescent lens cover, and that works well.

Apparently they also offer a warmer tint, which they refer to as ‘yellow’. I read that in one of the Ali Express ads somewhere in passing. I’d say mine is in the 3C / 4C range, which works well for me. As mentioned earlier, the headband is too small for a hard hat but plenty adequate for a big bare head. That could be easily cured with a piece of elastic and a minute on the sewing machine. (I’m much more of a user than a collector interested in aesthetics). I’m very pleased with mine and I’m tempted to order a spare. You do get a very useful headlamp for your money.

Any budget neutral white 1AA headlamp that is floody? I thnik that would make for an awesome gift…

Throw not needed. Warm or neutral is good. Suggestions?

Edit. Oops- sorry I was trying to start a new thread- I’ll use search instead….

The Crelant CH10 comes in 3 tints. I ordered one, no regrets. The warm white is good for all purpose use around the farm. The low setting is very usable for general close up work, haven’t felt the need to use the dimmer function much. But, the dimmer is nice to have while camping when you want to just have a moon light glow and maintain night vision. When I’m walking around the high mode works best for me and so far it runs and runs. No issues using it for an hour plus on high. The throw is decent for a small headlamp, I used it riding my bicycle last night and it did well for riding around cars and seeing to the sides. I run a cool white 3 mode Tangsfire C8 on medium as my main bike light and its about as bright as that with less throw of course. I know it will do at least 90 minutes on high with a 3400 Pano with another 20 minutes on low while I loaded up my bike. Haven’t found the actual run time yet. I mostly use it on low and it lasts longer than I need before I recharge the 18650. I would expect it to last a full 2 hours on high, I’ll find out some day.

Highly recommended for $26 shipped. I’m getting another one, going to try White this time, Warm White is a bit too yellow for bike use but just right for indoor use and working under the house. The head band works well, I didn’t even adjust it and I have an XL head. This headlamp is good enough for my needs and it makes a great gift. Its finished well, packaged well, even had lube on the threads.

Here is an interesting discussion and test of head lamps. May not help, but I enjoyed it even though I am past the age where I am going to use one.

Jerry

Tumbleweed48 and Tanner thanks for the input

I see that Bangood has the ch10 for about $23 shipped after the blf discount.

This seller has been reliable after 3 orders and they ship fast: Headlamps

I’m getting the CH10 headlamps in 10 to 14 days well packaged and as described. They are $23 to $27, the prices changes from week to week. I’ve seen them down to $23 for the warm tint. I think the neutral white is the best one for general use, I have all three tints. The warm tint is great for working under the house. The blue one matches my bicycle light perfectly so I leave that one on my bike full time in my rear bag.

The dimmer feature works great, it responds fast, but you get accustomed to it. Its nice having a budget headlamp that is durable, water proof and one that has zero whine. I have hours of use on my 3 and no issues so far. I would buy a larger version with more throw and the same build quality. I hope the seller brings out more versions like the CH10…

I like to support vendors who ship promptly and actually ship the item as described!

Hey djozz I know this is an old post but I hope you might see this an offer some feedback on this Eagle Eye F10?

I think this is the one you got? (Banggood shows it’s 18650, but reviewers report is really is AA 14500):
http://www.banggood.com/Eagle-Eyes-F10-CREE-XML2-U2-R51A1A3C-Turn-Angle-LED-Flashlight-p-929535.html

Too bad though it appears they don’t have it because the ADD CART button is grey’d out…. Gearbest shows it, but I want 3C Bin and theirs is 1A:
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_137424.html

I did find it here: http://www.ioffer.com/i/582417595
price is too high but shows make offer, maybe sketchy seller though.

Any how I’m going to keep looking for it in 3C.
Is it 18650 or is it AA/14500?
How is the output? (Both sites list only 200 LM)

Have you considered the skilhunt H02. Its now available in a NW emitter. PM bugsy36 about the group buy coupon code, its a very good price. And it a very mod friendly host. I put a triple nichia 219 high cri board in an old UF-H6 18650 host with a 3 amp lumodrv driver in it, and its now my favorite go to headlight. I love it more than my much pricier Zebralight and Armytek. Its just an option if you wanted to mod it in the future. But its a great light out of the box at a good price. The headband is also well designed.

Thanks, that does look good, I’ll PM for the price. I wonder if there is a pocket clip that would fit it I’m actually not looking for a headlamp so much as an angled light with a pocket clip, so I can just clip the light to front of my belt or jacket pocket to walk handsfree, without having to have a headband. I liked the raving reviews on the Armytek Wizard Pro but it’s pretty expensive and they discontinued the flood version.

EDIT: The skilhunt does have a clip! (just couldn’t see it in the first pic) Plus a magnet in the tail, I love those!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and suggest this, hopefully it is more affordable than the Armytek EDIT: It definitely is!!

The led is easily swappable, I changed mine for a Nichia and presto instant hi cri headlamp.