Budget HID lights?

That certainly is a good price (for the light, 50$ for the shipping not so great). I was looking for something much smaller though.

If you’re looking for long throw an eBay HID won’t get you very far. It throws far compared to current LED lights, but it’s the worst of all the HIDs, since the head is so small.

Here’s a link to my comparison of an ebay HID vs SK king.

StanleyHID sold in the Walmart in the states. $70 and 35watts is a good deal.
The Motomaster Illuminator hid at Canadian Tire is usually $100 but goes on sale three times a year at $50 and it’s 40watt
Fun lights, though don’t leave them in your car if you have a cold winter. Killed my Motomaster because the battery froze and maybe burst or leaked. (thank god for warranty)

I was lucky enough to grab one of these onsale for that $50 and picked up a second at $40 when I saw them go on clearance. I have let to really start pulling one of them apart to see what can be upgraded, any thoughts?

it was discontinued :frowning:

40w ballast upgrade it to 55w. If you have a heavy lead amp meter check input amps. My TI Mega was 3.2A. Switched it to a 55w and was 5.2A . Very noticeable improvement via MR 2100 suggestion.

I’m not very familiar with HID’s in general, would I need to upgrade the bulb if I upped the ballast? Thanks for the help! And sorry for posting in someone else’s topic…

No. This mod will increase throw by making the arc brighter. If you put in a 55w bulb the arc will be longer, throw will be about the same but more spill. The down side is it will reduce your bulb life from 3000hrs to 1000hrs(?) so I have been told and reduced run time.

Thanks willie for the information. 1000hours is still plenty for me. I have had both lights for over a year, 1 has about 2 hours on it and the other is still boxed up in my storage room. The plan for one of them was to modify it all up but I just haven’t gotten around to it.

Modded using this and it pulled 5.2a on input
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270865188630

Waiting on this for another project. If you want will post ampere input?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/replacement-55w-car-hid-ballast-dc-9-16v-103008?item=4