Budget knife recommendations, please

Thanks for joining, Vesper!

I have One Of These EKA folders Its way sharp enough to cut rope without needing serrations, beautiful edge from the factory. Fine enough to dress out a deer sized animal. The fit of the blade is exceptional, and the handle feels great in the hand. Just the right size and shape, the rubbery grip makes it feel comfortable and non slip. Its moderate weight but I would feel comfortable relying on it in a survival situation. Mine has a black handle, otherwise the same as the one in the link. I see it is also available with Bubinga handle too. Not the cheapest folding knife I have, but one of the nicest.

Very nice knives. I bag carry a Mora fixed blade that is usually fairly close and at the ready. It is my dominant slicer and sharp enough to cut rope well, also. Not that I would use it for that.

Looking at the Eka Swedes, I’d probably opt for the smaller 8 in wood as the better size for what I’m looking for right now. Should be a great choice for compliance in areas with overly restrictive knife laws, too. I’ve got a couple Bucks that are tanks next to those sweet looking knives.

My strong preference is one hand deployment capability in the size range mentioned above for my edc folder (compliant or not). Weight in the sub 110 gram range is also good, but the blade needs some heft or it should be very smooth in deployment so that lightness doesn’t become a liability in the way it feels. Look and feel are very important to me, but at it’s core I want all-purpose utility - including quicker, rough cuts when I choose.

Was unfamiliar with a “Mora 8 in wood”, so i googled it and got this:

http://www.amazon.com/Strikemaster-Fishing-Mora-Hand-Auger/dp/B002UJKHAW

part of my EDC now.

LOL, my mora is a fixed blade.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Swedish-Mil-Mora-Knife/dp/B000ZN6Z4M

The Swede 8 in wood is a folder.

http://www.amazon.com/EKA-Knives-605604-Lockback-Handles/dp/B003SYWVWA

When you go fishing for ice, do you have to sneak up on it? :slight_smile:

I picked up a MORA on Special for $7.50US.
In freight now.
But I do prefer my Martiini 4 1\4 in Blade/Handles/steel.

For ALL cutting of more than cardboard. Paper. and your nails.
I use fixed blades NOT folders.
Some people talk about lightweight… Folding knives.
Apart from giving you a thin blade. Everything else is thinned down and not so strong. Especially the blade to handle joint.
In some things Lightweight is NOT the best way to go.

I’ve got puma. Fixed and folders. Decades old and still no different to the day I bought them. Solid and reliable.

Chinese fixed. I haven’t yet seen many I’d pay money for.

Light folders I wouldn’t touch. Those ENLAN are a good cheap well built design with good strength. I have a MO9 which is a nice feel and weight.
The Ganzo Firebird. F753M is (to me) the ideal size and blade shape.
With Just enough weight in it.

I have a Ganzo G733. which is Again, I think.
the MAX a folder should be.
Maybe a little over size. Spyderco copy blade.

BUT I have made up an aluminium spacer piece to fit along the spine with the frame screws through it to strengthen. Stop some of the side flex.

That Enlan is going to be much heavier than any Spyderco. If you are looking for lit weight, you just bought the wrong knife in the Enlan. It is a PIG. Well made knife but very heavy.

=

That ENLAN EM09 was a cheap $7/8AUD chair flicker yrs ago.

But. Funnily. I have around 14 (not counting Kitchen) knives to $370 Puma’s
and a coupla Customs.
Those Spyderco. To ME… Look like cheap little plastic handles and weird shaped blades.
SOME have decent steel in there but. Weird knives. and exxy as.
Nice looking. Lightish. A Ganzo Firebird 753M. (440C). Lovely blade. Or.
Little heavier but Niiiice feel/blade. a Harnds Knight (8cr14) Good heat on blade.

Cheap. WELL performing. Won’t cry if you lose it or break the blade knives.

That bloody little Enlan tends to live in my pocket when I go out
and I’ve just about worn out the bushes in lounge chair.
so NICE a knife to use and play with.
Just don’t go too far away with the diamond steel (8cr13)

I often wonder why I spent the last 65 yrs collecting knives. (from Trawler days)

PS. You want heavy. Try the Browning (440C?) spine locker,
You could use it as a hammer. Good heavy duty tool though.
Stil DON’T have any adea how that came to arrive through my letterbox.
Looked nice on paper maybe.

A little trick I sometimes used on the smooth cutting edge
of old working folders.
Use a coarse diamond plate/steel. on last inch or so of blade.
and LEAVE coarse… The rest of cutting edge as normal.
Near shaving.
and have a little 2+ in Blade on keyring. VG10 normally.
with a chef’s edge.
Just for the fine work.
It’s VERY rare you need a full length edge for superfine cutting.

I find that the coarse sect. will do a similar job to serrations.

since this thread was brought back…here is one example for $14.35….they sell out quick.

https://store.smith-wesson.com/sale/?utm_term=body&utm_campaign=clearance_knives&utm_medium=email&utm_source=smith-wesson&utm_content=shop_button1

I’m sure mine’ll come annnnnnnnnnny day now… Annnnnnnnnnnnny day…

Last one left was that AO, so I went’n’snagged one a coupla days ago. At this rate, I’ll probably get it in July or August.

This one is branded “Smith & Wesson HRT” on one side and “SWHRT3” on the other. The quality is high, but it is a little bit smaller than expected. Shipping took 32 days, unfortunately. Not sure if this is a clone or the real deal, but the product is top notch.
Sheath works great, knife can “clip” into it.

I just bought a second one 淘宝网 - 淘!我喜欢

Noice. Been wanting a boot-knife or similar for a while. Wonder how the balance is for throwing in a pinch.

Funny you mention the clip. Just unearthed a Gerber killin’ knife (for kids!) with the plastic sheath, metal bracket-doodad, assloads of what look like mounting holes around the periphery of the plastic part, etc. Looks kinda like design overkill, like it belongs in Darth Vader’s bathroom or something, but what do I know?

Bugger! Here it is… only mine’s black/gray and not tan.

Just goggled pix of a knife that looks like it, and whaddya know if it ain’t the same sheath and everything.

Imagine the metal doodad is for horizontal belt-carry, which is nice, but damn…

(Oh, and mine’s a straight blade and not serrated.)

Anyhoo, I was always used to friction-fit and no snaps or clips or other retention that could just weaken over time. Or worse, be so tight that you need to two-hand it to get it out. (Yeah, that just came out sounding all wrong…)

The one I posted is a friction fit sheath, but it is held by the rubber of the knife. It won’t go bad quickly, have been using it as a boot knife for months now.

One aspect I forgot to mention to y’all - the Smith & Wesson I posted is classified as a “dagger” and whoever wants to buy it would have to check with local restrictions whether you need a CCW or not.
If the buyer is from Europe, a dagger is considered a weapon you are not allowed to carry outside of your home in most EU nations because both sides of the blade are sharpened.

The EKA Swede folders are great. I have one like this:

The CS Finn Hawk is a real nice “Scandi” knife, even though it’s made in Taiwan…comparable to the Mora Companion, but I like the Finn Hawk better.

I’m guessing they wouldn’t like my Fairbairn-Sykes very much, would they?

It is ironic that the Fairbairn-Sykes has origins in the UK but has no place in British society at all. Except for historic reenactments or for collectors at home.

Same like fireworks being banned here except for use by “professionals”. Celebrate Independence Day… by watching fireworx on teevee.

Or American flags handed out at parades like ID and Memorial Day… that’re made in China.

Gotta love those little ironies of life… :neutral_face:

It’s even better when the MAGA caps are Made in PRC…