Budget Multimeters...A real minefield

I use an Extech ex205t in my Electrical Technology homework projects and residential/commercial work. Only thing I’ve found myself wishing it had was ncv detection and possibly own frequency.
Cost me <$35.

Hey mate i just bought one of these UNI-T UT139C i decided on this model because it is meant to be safer then the other uni-t models some one on YouTube tested it and it survived up to 5000 volt transient test the flukes do a little better they usually fail at 7000+ volts! obviously if your not going to touch mains no need for a multi-meter to be built like a tank….

I think i will buy a fluke later on or a Japanese made multi-meter right now i have two cheap ones they work but some times they make me wonder!

Yes I like that UNI-T UT139C. I have been eyeing that model for the same reasons you described.

If I could send it to Australia I would have bought one of the AMprobes they have such good reviews and are cheap…
I guess the more you spend on a multi-meter the longer it will last.
http://www.amazon.com/Amprobe-AM-510-Commercial-Residential-Non-Contact/dp/B007FZFTZO/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&ref\_=s9_simh_awbw_d11_g328_i3

I’ve got a Mastech MS8268 for my cheapy, and a Fluke 179 for when I need true RMS. Haven’t had any issues with the Mastech. The backlit screen is nice too, although it only stays lit for 4 seconds or so per backlight button press.

Me too…. Me too.

Turningbluechips:

Please re-size your photo. For instructions, see: HowTo: Adding pictures to posts

I just looked at that Greenlee DM-200A. That looks like a fantastic deal at $82.

1dash1, I am curious. Who promoted you to moderator on a basically unmoderated forum? I have seen your statements on several threads that basically aggravate me because you act like you own this forum. Please desist.

Off-topic. PM sent.

I will have nothing good to say about F uke, after what they did to SparkFun.

I’ll assume from your avatar, you’re in the Great North Woods, so I don’t know if you have a Harbor Freight store near you… But the free multi-meter I got from Harbor Fright has more functions, is much smaller and lighter, measures the same (compared quite a few measurements) as my F uke 77 IX. And for what the HF meter costs (w/o free coupon), even with upgraded leads, I could put one everywhere I might ever need a multi-meter for less than what it would cost to replace that F uke. No points for guessing which ugly yellow DMM just became a shelf queen!

You never did mention what your design criteria are, so we’re all going to just throw spitballs at the question until you give us some specifics to work on.

This one has bluetooth;

I could not find much in the way of reviews though…

Well I am going to use it manly for batteries and my audio tube amp hobby and some automotive. No high voltage stuff. There are a lot of meters out there and I keep finding new ones like the one I posted above.

I’m very happy with mine. While I don’t remember very many specifics about other meters, I did watch as many reviews as I could find.

I would have been willing to pay for one of the least expensive Flukes. However it was noted that the lower priced Flukes are aimed at electricians and are not very good for electronics work.

There are some decent meters at prices below the cost of the DM-200A (BM251), but I was convinced by whoever looked inside the meters that the DM-200A was better built than those. Some of the lower priced meters had stiff and/or cheap selector switches — or lesser displays. Those things are important to me. And reviews regarding performance are favorable towards the DM-200A.

Well fluke isn’t the be all end all in multimeters what about Gossen metrawatt?

Check out hioki made in Japan multimeter I was about to buy one but expensive for the specs I thought it would be cheaper.

Those are to rich for my blood.

^ Are you trolling? Those are even more money.

At work, for occasional use on industrial sites, Flukes are a given.

For hobby-use on low-energy circuits (for a meter you should be concerned about the available energy level, more so than the voltage), the better UNI-Ts are great options.

They do have some sub-par models, but the UT61E is popular with hobbyists. It misses a back light, proper input protection, temperature input, auto-power off, and tests leads are so-so, but has everything else you might need. I use both this and Brymen 257 at home. The Brymen has all what the UT61E misses, except the high resolution, but at double the price.

Also have a look at the group-buy UT210E AC/DC clamp meter. The DC clamp is a very interesting feature, but sacrifices other useful features like capacitance and frequency measurements.

This might help, but is mostly aimed at higher-end meters:

^ I am looking at that UT61E as well. But I stumbled upon this one and it looks very interesting;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200912705694?\_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=500153428396&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That looks like a great find. I’ve thought it could be nice to take simultaneous voltage and current readings. Of course I’ll need a second meter and that one looks good.

^ The ebay seller is a member of eevblog forums and goes by the name iloveelectronics. He adds a better usb cable instead of the dated serial cable and better gold plated leads. So that makes the deal even sweeter.