BUDGET "must haves" please contribute your favorites!

ToyKeeper, I read this post a few weeks ago and book marked it for when I could find time to reply. You might like to see how you can adapt a cheap zoomie for cycling for $4.95 with a wide angle lens. I posted it a description here.

pic

I saw a post on here somewhere about someone using a C8 as a bike light. They replaced its lens with a horizontal diffuser, and ended up with a nice wide beam which produced a similar pattern to what you got. However, C8s are generally more waterproof than zoomies, have nicer drivers available (in the XinTD one, at least), and produce more lumens for the same amount of power. It isn’t optically adjustable like a zoomie though.

Instead of doing that, I just try to get a relatively floody spot+spill light where the spot is wide and fades smoothly into the spill. It does, admittedly, shine upward more than necessary, but otherwise produces a pretty decent result. And the upward bits help cars see me more easily (I’m probably brighter than some of the cars, even on a relatively low lumen setting).

I’m hoping to find a 17mm frosted lens for my brass light, which I think would make it nearly ideal for my purposes. Until then, a Convoy S7 is good enough (S4 would probably be a bit better though, due to better heat shedding).

Akoray AK-12: the lightweight and smallest (112*21) 1*18650 (all cells fit well) flashlight able for EDCing. It can be easy upgraded to XM-L on 16mm star + 17mm 4*7135 driver (nanjg-101).

http://www.easylightbuy.com/akoray-ak12-cree-q3-led-aluminum-flashlight_p202.html

I ordered one. I have been trying things larger than button lights in my shirt pockets. I now have 3-mode Zoom AA/1450 EXPIRED ! "Black" $1.99 Max 3ea there, but I am thinking a bigger battery might more than make up for the lack of zoom. 21 mm. is slimmer than the larger parts of that new three mode zoomy and much slimmer than an SK68. It is about as long as my Sipik SK73 but much slimmer.

Although I’m new and don’t have any cool lights yet (except for the one’s in the mail), it’s still nice to see what others prefer as a must have. Props on the thread idea!

I recommend you to order an AK-12, easylightbuy is the lash source of them :wink:

It doesn’t seem to be in stock right now, but the DQG 18650 is nice… 90mm x 22mm x 25mm, which makes it the smallest 1x18650 light I’ve seen. It also has decent modes; 2.5, 25, and 100% at 2A (or about 13lm, 125lm, and 500lm). IIRC, it’s a XM-L emitter and a TIR optic.

I have a similar light, but it’s even less likely to be stocked again —the DQG “brass beauty”. It’s 97mm x 21mm, brass, and even manages to fit both a reflector and a clicky button. Similar modes (2, 25, 100%) at 1.4A, but it’s XP-G2 inside so it’s actually pretty throwy. I’m sad it’s not available any more.

For size reference, the DQG brass 18650 is in this pic, between the Convoy S3 and the SK-68:

My three budget must haves, would be:

SkyRay King (the original 3 led style with the 3 toroid driver) Dollar for dollar, the best all round light I have ever used.

HD 2010 A great thrower with a little modding TLC

SkyRay S3 Great belt light, been wearing one now daily and it's bright as heck with a good sturdy clip.

Of course, they all need to be modded.

The King needs the resistor mod to the driver, for higher output

The HD 2010 needs an XP-G2 dedomed with a 5 amp nanjg driver

The S3 needs an nanjg driver at 3 amps

I think they are all classic lights that serve their intended purposes well and they all do much better when modded.

I’m surprised that a tweaked King took this long to be mentioned. The WOW factor is undeniable.

SRK

Zebralight H50. Not budget but it was 7 years till I bought another headlamp. A small/light (light is important for headlamps)/pure flood AA headlamp is a very, very good thing. Anything over 90 lumens is a waste for that use.

Zoomies - where I'm coming from they are a waste of money as I've given away more of them than I've sold - and I've sold on a lot of them. Yet to find the zoomie I wanted to keep.

+1 to that.

I’ve said it before, but… if I could only keep one light, it’d be my Zebralight headlamp. It’s the most versatile light I’ve used, and can do almost everything I want… even if it is a little awkward for handheld use.

My partner tends to tease me if I wear it though (it’s convenient when used as a necklace), so I tend to use handheld lights when she’s around. The one I use the most is a L3 L10-219, which is boring but surprisingly useful. It’s my ZL headlamp’s only competition for “if I could keep only one light”.

Also, I agree about zoomies. I was really into them for a short time, but I gave away almost all my zoomies. They’re great for a few specific things, but I don’t like them for general-purpose use.