Budget Ultrafire 18650 zoomie, available in many colours...

Another thing that worries me… is not knowing if these flashlights will fit protected cells. I’ll have to order a couple of brand new 18650 li-ions, and I’m not sure which ones to get, protected or unprotected, for that reason. I’d get protected but if I do and they don’t fit… LOL :smiley:
To start with, my old cheap 18650 charger won’t fit 69-70mm cells, 68 at most I’ve measured (daaaaaarrn). What a mess!

I’d buy the SK98 instead if I were you, just because its a tested model, seems to have thicker walls and is cheaper. The pill is sometimes hollow in these though in bad models, look around for the best versions people have found on this site.

Is your friend a flashaholic? 18650 lithium cells are IMHO not a safe, user friendly
choice for “non-aficianados”.

I was thinking the same thing, doesn’t look like much in the way of heat sinking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camping-CREE-XM-L-T6-1800Lumen-Zoom-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp-Light-for-18650-AAA-/181288931004?pt=US_Flashlights&var=&hash=item2a35a98ebc

I won one of those from that same seller (A silver one) for less than $7.00 with free shipping and I’m impressed. Using 3 alkaline AAA’s in it would make it a lot more car heat and cold friendly. It takes 26650 with no adapter. But comes with 18650 and AAA adapters.

- Joe

Well, he’s a complete n00b with regards to flashlights and/or batteries. Already told him li-ion batteries are not foolproof: shouldn’t be deeply discharged, discharged too fast, short-circuited… can ignite a fire, explode, etc.
He may be a bit sloppy but is far from being stupid and learns fast, so a few advices here and there should be enough I think.

Review: Sipik SK98 from Tmart
Performance of that one was less than stellar, so the SG-8… :~

As for the 875… the seller’s shop is empty and he has no items listed… weird.

There’s plenty of time for me to take a decision anyway, we’re not in a rush. And I’ve had enough of peeking at flashlights for today (I hope :wink: ) :weary:

Cheers

There are few zoomies that are good performance in both flood and zoom mode, due to the fact there is no reflectors in them and the light that doesn't go thru the optic more or less bounces around and creates a blurry ring around the throw. Like I said, they are jack of all trades, masters of none, for GP use the SK98 is a great light (I have the SH98 clone), very bright, but you still need to put some thermal compound or NOALOX on the threads to help wick the heat out of the pill to the body.

Due to the design weaknesses I highly doubt you could push the XM-L at 2800mA without it getting way to hot to fast, even if you used a copper Noctigon under the LED, there just ain't anywhere for all that heat to go.

I plan on modding mine, getting a Nanjg 4*7135 101-AK-A1 (w/ a 20mm pcb adapter), putting STAR firmware on it, and trying not to use the high mode as much as possible

Ultrafire W-878

Would be my recommendation. I have an Ultrafire SK-98 but prefer the W-878 by far. Beefier Tail cap, Beefier Body and a much better beam pattern overall IMHO

Welcome to BLF Deaver!

What modes does that flashlight has? Only one?

Cheers

URL says 5 mode…

YEZL M2 with charger and battery (don’t ask about the quality) for $11.68 from wallbuys next viphourseckill event!!!
then replace the led and driver for additional 6-7$ and that is it, you have a flashlight for under 20$ with charger and psu…

The flashlight from the OP will do the job if you check that the led-board touches the rim of the (hollow) pill well enough, perhaps add some thermal paste. It has indeed very little 'meat' but I guess it is not driven very hard, so that should not be a problem. Threading is rough, it is very cheaply made, but optically it is exactly the same as the sk98, and I actually like the light-weight and small size of this light. For daily heavy use I would not recommend it (than I would actually recommend the 11 dollar Cofly light from dx that I did a review on), but to keep in the glove-box for incidental use it is nice enough (I do not really see the problem with Li-ions in the car, if you use panny's, they are tested not to vent up to -if I rembember well- 150degC and more).

+1 on the battery options on this light although I have only used 18650. Protected cells fit fine. I got a blue one from Banggood just for the colour and see if they were worth getting the set. The light output is decent enough for this type of zoomie but nothing special. Does get a little warm but not too bad and I dont think thats a good thing although I haven’t pulled mine apart.The walls are very thin and I dont think it would take long to damage it, especially in a car. Coating looks good but it scratches easy so I dont think it’s actually annodized just paint. Lense in mine rattles and doesnt fit well. I wont be buying another. The sk68’s or clones are more sturdy and almost as bright without going lithium unless you run them on 14500’s.

You might consider one of those flashlights that have a built in charger, preferably via Micro USB. This makes the light way easier to use and not have to keep track of special charger.

Here are a few examples:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-TL10WO-Ozark-Trail-Ultra-Bright-LED-Flashlight-750-Lumens/29341480

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Rechargable-Flashlight-USB-Cree-LED-Lamp-Zoom-Charger-2000-Lumen-Tactical-/221387438360

or this last one that I personally bought:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002464/1181701-jinheng-2-in-1-cree-t6-5-mode-900-lumen-rechargeab

Does it have to be XML? If you want to consider XPE then BIC has similar model with XPE for much cheaper at $4.60:

http://www.buyincoins.com/item/29943.html

When I got it, it instantly gained its way into my main toolbox, and has been there since its purchase. It has not much to brag about in performance but it just have that “grab” factor.

It also has no visible PWM on both high/low. Great for working under the hood without distraction. And it dissipates heat well - can run on high until battery drained. I am not sure about the XML version though.

I never knew the model name, but yes I agree this flashlight is also very good in this category, I would recommend it over both the SK98 and the one you list. Its very heavy construction, you can use 26650/18650 or 3xAAA, so a lot more options and = more run time. I have some non flashoholics who now have my light and they love it. I like it as a backup light: no matter which lithium battery main light I take, I have this as a backup.

The issue that turned me off of getting more of these is you need to watch out purchasing this on Amazon or Ebay, because they will tell you that its the same light, and it looks exactly the same, but then you get it and the diameter is slightly too small, its 3AAA/18650 ONLY. Still an OK light, but I personally want it for the 26650 ability as a backup. Looks like with the model number he notes and the link/source above that is not Amazon/Ebay, this issue should be solved however! I’m 2/5 getting the right model off Amazon/Ebay…I wouldn’t go for slightly cheaper there unless you don’t care about 26650 use ever. Heck if you don’t care about this and are willing to pay shipping, email me, I’ll sell you the non 26650 but 3xAAA/18650 model lights I got :stuck_out_tongue:

*Edit: looking below on Banggood, this appears to be the light I got by “mistake” several times: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Ultrafire-CREE-XM-L-T6-1000LM-5-Mode-Zoomable-LED-Flashlight(1x18650-Or-3xAAA)-p-43332.html

Also, the W-878 model that Deaver lists is the same as the one I have with good quality, thick aluminum, you have the best output of all these types/class of light that I’ve seen with no heat issue or lens rattle, the knurling feels nice, and you can keep it on for the entire battery life on high because the aluminum is so thick for heat transfer.

Its also not well driven, but better than many in the class, you would in no way impress a flashoholic, but the point is you avoid the problems of the other lights in this category: being under driven or in the SK98’s case sometimes the pill is too thin and the light will self destruct if left on high in those, and it looks like the model you listed is thin walled, would get hot and scratch easily. Its also better than ones twice as expensive like the Uniquefire UF-T20 I bought: UF-T20 is much dimmer, bluer light, the light body with no knurling isnt as nice, though the tailcap and head look well constructed, heavy and unique though.

I’m happy Deaver listed that link, now I can finally replace the lights I passed on to others instead of the 18650/3AAA only models I got by seller mistake on Amazon and Ebay.

Thank you for all the responses.
Met my friend a while ago and chatted about this. Finally settled for a Sipik SK98 from FastTech ($9.45), plus batteries and charger. Budget was met. :bigsmile:
I’ll add some thermal paste under that XML’s star PCB once we get it.

Cheers

Yes, nice built quality.
But they have a weak lens, so the head travels a couple of centimeters, making a projection of the emitter at a big distance between lens and emitter, thus spilling all spill of the emitter…
Even the 14mm focal length 24mm aspherical lenses everybody uses does better….
Shame really, for it’s really nicely built.