Budget? Yeah, right... I feel another expensive hobby coming on.

Darnit…I was so gonna use that :smiley:

Hi all,

Thanks for the entertaining welcome!

I've spent the past week browsing the site, and must say that I'm gonna be surrounded by vertical learning curves for a while.

I'm a little disheartened by the thread about fake emitters. I've read the entire thread and branches thereof, and now have a rudimentary understanding of whet to look for.

I'll be posting some noob questions in appropriate forums for a time, so please bear with me, and thanks for the schooling!

Briefly:

I see modding in the not-too-distant future. Much of my previous life was a hardware Tech on copiers & printers. I've flashed thousands of copiers, printers, scanners and NIC's with firmware, so all I have to do is learn the interfaces and locate the files.

I have a basic understanding of color temps, less so of CRI but that will come with time.

Later in my career I was in a gig as Network Analyst for xerox. I cringe now because of all the laptops/battery packs we disposed of that could have been harvested for cells. I'm still coming to terms with cell sizes and such. The compatibility of some flashlights re: length of protected vs non-protected cells, flat tops working in a specific light yes/no/maybe, etc. will be a stumbling block for me until I get a better handle on cell formats.

A Surefire Stylus Pro currently on sale at Cabela's for $14.99 hasn't popped my flashlight cherry just yet, but it did get to third base. Eyes are gettin' glassy & I'm breathing hard anyway. But now I find that I want more! And so the affliction begins...

Welcome to BLF slmjim! I hated it when those Duracells leaked in my old flashlights. Supposedly they were the best batteries, right? Now with NiMH and lithium ions, that’s no longer a worry.

And WOW emarkd, that’s an awesome looking flashlight!