Bug-Out Kits - updated

A few strong sewing needles and thread.

Use lithium primaries in the torch for bobs. Long shelf life and supposedly no leaks. Maybe a couple of spare cells too. AAA are small and light.

Definitely pen or pencil and paper.

Some gaffa tape.

A signal mirror and whistle

Folding water bottle. I got some about half a litre size that roll up when empty

Small sunscreen, hat, chapstick, bug repellant

Emergency rain pancho

Okay so after a comment or two via a PM. No this is not a true live or die bug out kit, no I’m not selling paranoia to kids. It is meant more to be something cool to have. A “mini survival kit” my nephews are 10-13 and 1 is a boy scout. Its something they would keep in their backpacks or tackle boxes, motor cycle bag tool kit etc. Its not my god the world is ending quick get your kit or die!!! That would be crazy.

one of those small folding can openers would be a good one

I know as a former boyscout this would have been a good/fun thing to have. When I was 13 we spent I think 11 days out in the Trinity Alps

camped at this lake for 3 days I think. we hiked 59 miles in those days and covered altitude from 1500 to 7000 ft.

Thanks
Mike

Tweezers, aspirin.

I just got a nice compact knife with built in can opener just for this very thing. Will post a link later.

A small spoon, or one of those cool titanium sporks.

*edit The knife is a Sanrenmu ZB4-T21

Alternatively, any decent small knife and an army series Pxx can opener is a good option.

The Australian army one is a small spoon with the folding opener and cap lifter on the handle. Very cool and useful, and not as easy to misplace as the original.

When I was a scout, one of the projects was a survival kit in a 35mm film canister - fishing line with hook/weights, water proof matches, razor blade etc.

Like you say, its a fun little kit for a boy. As I say, I’d go with a tobacco tin as they are easy to pick up with a nice sticker on, their a good size and a decent rubber band keeps them closed.

A ti would fit and a taped spare cell, bit of fishing line, flash card, an srm h03 from exduct would fit too.

Good project, but maybe instead of a gift, treat it as a fun little exercise to share, then they learn something (choice of gear etc) and get some input, I bet they’d get a real kick out of it.

You don’t want a cheapo flash drive. You want a good brand that will retain data. Cheap drives sometimes will randomly loose data. Bought a credit card sized drive years ago, put 5 files on it. Years later drive is unreadable, used 2-3 times. Try to stick with “name brands” from trusted retailers(to avoid getting a counterfeit drive with fake size).

If you want input for a small, classic and durable knife I have this:

from DX.COM sku No. 91915

My take on it after EDC for 3+ months:

Good quality blade that arrived quite sharp. Has cut everything I've asked of it, even some copper wires in a pinch, and not taken any nicks to the blade. Can be a little hard to sharpen because of small size but covers a LOT of different needs as long as they are not self defence or cutting firewood. And it should fit in even a really small tin/box/whateveryoucomeupwithandstuffitin.

Oh. And it is surely a bargain.

Don’t forget a small compass too

A while back at a field day tool store I picked up a credit card sized stainless steel diamond sharpener to go in my own kit. It was all of $5-10, but well worth it I think.

Maybe one of those pocket diamond steels with hook sharpener would be a good alternative, or something I always have in my tackle box which will do all of the above in a pinch, a small diamond/saphire nail file. It’s probably a better choice in a small tin.

I find a pair of nail clippers indispensible too. A torn nail can ruin an day out and happens all the time. A quick clip will see you back in action, and it has many other uses too. Clipping fishing line or small cords safely. I prefer the larger toe nail ones, some better quality ones have their own diamond file on board. Long toe nails can catch you out in the bush, and get painful very quickly when walking. A quick clip saves the day again :wink:

You can buy ‘cheapo’ things and if you know what you’re doing it doesn’t have to be crap. We do that all the time here afterall with ‘cheapo’ flashlights we buy $$$-wise. :cowboy_hat_face:

I would pack bc powder as to pill form asprin.
Just due to the fact it works fast. For me at lest it does.
Not sure if its ok for kids.

Small compass
Small ferro rod.

a small spool of dental floss is great not just for cleaning teeth.

Its super strong stuff, can be used as fishing line or lashing, or as sewing thread. Mint flavour optional!

+1 on the knife, maybe a cheap leatherman like device.
Gerber Curve is a good one.

A magnifying glass !

Small tube of sunscreen/Antiseptic lotion/Insect repellant.

I was a kid once. I surely thought the ten cent compass I was given was the coolest thing.

I bought a small “Böker +” copy from DX years ago.
About 5$. I was surprised that the blade was actually really hard steel when I tested it…
It is also pretty small, short yet wide blade. Easy to get a sturdy grip even though it is pretty thin knife

A metal mug or can that can be used for drinking or boiling. Doesn’t have to be huge but something that can be put on a fire or used to heat drinks. Warm drinks are a godsend if it’s cold.

I carry 5 mr. Noodle soup mix packets (american version is ramen I think?) And for a picker-uper on a cold or wet day its great. Hot chocolate is good too.

Good cheap fire starter is vasoline and dryer lint. Goes up like a candle

If the kit is going to be small,a fauxton or 2 would be a good idea.True to life survival scenario would be to have basic needs,so I would have a wire saw to cut trees to make shelter and firesteel with a striker.If the kit is going to be in a can,I think the container should double as a pot or something to boil water.

here are some good ideas… the whole thread. i linked that post just because that was the first thing that popped in my head haha

I like the fire starter idea for a scout .Flint and steel makes sense .There are some nice whistles out there too .Obviously a thrunite ti or even a coast 3.50$ free light is better than what we had as scouts

Note that flash memory is NOT archival storage — even the best will only retain its contents reliably for 7 to 10 years if left unused. Flash memory works by forcing electrons into an insulator above a transistor, with the resulting electric field forcing the transistor on. Those electrons slowly leak away….

This drive lasted less than 3 years(i’d like to say 2 years). My plan…if I execute it is to have important data on several formats. But flash drives are the smallest.