Bug-Out Kits - updated

I was a kid once. I surely thought the ten cent compass I was given was the coolest thing.

I bought a small “Böker +” copy from DX years ago.
About 5$. I was surprised that the blade was actually really hard steel when I tested it…
It is also pretty small, short yet wide blade. Easy to get a sturdy grip even though it is pretty thin knife

A metal mug or can that can be used for drinking or boiling. Doesn’t have to be huge but something that can be put on a fire or used to heat drinks. Warm drinks are a godsend if it’s cold.

I carry 5 mr. Noodle soup mix packets (american version is ramen I think?) And for a picker-uper on a cold or wet day its great. Hot chocolate is good too.

Good cheap fire starter is vasoline and dryer lint. Goes up like a candle

If the kit is going to be small,a fauxton or 2 would be a good idea.True to life survival scenario would be to have basic needs,so I would have a wire saw to cut trees to make shelter and firesteel with a striker.If the kit is going to be in a can,I think the container should double as a pot or something to boil water.

here are some good ideas… the whole thread. i linked that post just because that was the first thing that popped in my head haha

I like the fire starter idea for a scout .Flint and steel makes sense .There are some nice whistles out there too .Obviously a thrunite ti or even a coast 3.50$ free light is better than what we had as scouts

Note that flash memory is NOT archival storage — even the best will only retain its contents reliably for 7 to 10 years if left unused. Flash memory works by forcing electrons into an insulator above a transistor, with the resulting electric field forcing the transistor on. Those electrons slowly leak away….

This drive lasted less than 3 years(i’d like to say 2 years). My plan…if I execute it is to have important data on several formats. But flash drives are the smallest.