Build a thrower for around 20 USD

Wow this A60 looks like a new version, that it comes with a side switch and a DC charging port.

But just look at the lens - looks like plastic.

And the rest… I don’t think that a charging Port and a side switch are better than no charging Port and a Clicky.

Harder to mod [either you buy a side-switch driver (where there are not much) and have one empty hole or you have 2 empty holes in you flashlight].
And it looks cheap.

15$ For a XR-E Flashlight? Come on…
I can get a Convoy with 800Lm for that price.

Oops, I’ll have to find a different link. Didn’t notice it had the charging port and side switch. That’s a change from the original. As for it being an XR-E, I bet you it’ll out throw most all unmodified C8’s. I’ve had a Convoy and the Jacob would out throw it all day every day. I actually own no C8’s now. Lumens don’t dictate throw. That’s why XP-G2’s and XP-E2’s can throw further than most XM-L2’s

I see that. I may have to order one for giggles

So can a Laserpointer.
Too bad, that I can’t see anything with that :wink:

There’s a nice comparsion thread here: There is no substantial gain in throw going from dedomed XP-G2 to dedomed XP-E2
The XP-E2 makes a thinner beam but with less brightness than the XP-G2, which makes the XP-G2 the better choice.

I don’t have the Jacob A60 - but 40 other lights, most with XM-L/2.
I have the Courui with a XM-L2@4.5A, the Yezl Y3 (stock) and a few other throwers (I like flooders more), I don’t think that a XR-E light would f*ck the Courui up :stuck_out_tongue:

And I don’t whink that OP would be happy about a light only half as bright as his current one :slight_smile:

BUT, the Courui is not stock. It appears the OP is looking for a stock light as he doesn’t want to solder. True, the A60 is a pencil beam, but one that is an awesome performer. I have multiple that I have modded for hunting. Most of my lights are XR-E, XP-G2, and XP-E2 with just a few XM-L2’s that have all been dedomed for throw. The link you posted, the XP-E2 still out threw the XP-G2, just not by much. The advantage of the XP-G2 is you can push it harder than the XP-E2, and in a modded light pushed hard the XP-G2 wins.

Here is a thread comparing the led’s in a C8. In a smaller reflector light like the C8, the XP-G2 wins. Lux over Lumen!

Back to the A60, there are several mentions in this thread of the A60 out throwing the Y3. The OP asked for a thrower. I mentioned one. Yes it has a pencil beam, but its a cheap thrower and one of the better ones even with a 2-3 generation old LED.

I’m not sure what some of you think a thrower is. But an XM-L C8 certainly wouldn’t be what I’d call a thrower.

Well, what would you call it then?
A Flooder? - Then, what is a Convoy S2+/S3?

I know those Zoomies from ebay, they focus the LED very big - in comparsion with that, a C8 is a thrower.

That’s rather missing the point. Lumens are like torque with car engines. It’s what you do with it that counts, not the total number.

a thrower throws a beam the furthest. some have usable spill, some don’t, but the point is to throw the furthest. a flood has the less throw but the most spill. I’d put a C8 in the middle. It’s got OK flood and OK distance. It does neither the best, but it’s a good all around light.

A C8 with an XM-L (dome on) is much more of a mid range at best IMO. It has pretty good beam distance and pretty good spill beam. But won’t be excelling at either. This makes it a highly usable light and very flexible in which situations you might want to use it in. But a thrower it isn’t.

An XP-G C8 or de-domed XM-L2 still isn’t really a thrower, but would have a more thrower like beam profile.

As an example, the Small Sun ZY-T13 has a much bigger reflector than a C8 and with the same emitter/drive current will throw a beam further with a more tightly focused hot spot. i.e. a C8 won’t be throwing as far as the Small Sun in this shot.

Yet a mere 180 led lumens (much lower OTF) XP-E in a similar sized reflector easily out throws it.

And even more so with an aspheric lens:

Throw typically requires a large reflector.

The Jacob A60 is so good in stock form, because it’s reflector is actually quite a bit larger than a C8’s and the XR-E is so tiny it creates a very intense focused beam.

Go up a size from a C8 and bump the current a lot and XM-L2’s throw quite well.

This is an Olight SR52 with an XM-L2 pulling 4+ amps. Large reflector, think Olight rate it as 84,000 lux

Compared to my XP-G2 C8 @ 3amps.

And something C8 sized with an XM-L

The XP-G2 C8 does ok to be fair and is almost pocketable. But as you can see an XM-L in a C8 size reflector is looking more like flood than throw. Even if you bumped up the amp draw it wouldn’t change it’s beam profile. De-doming it would make a difference for sure however.

Olight sell a de-domed M2X Javelot. Basically an SR52 sized reflector with a de-dome XM-L2. They rate it at 168,000 lux. This is a real thrower and IMO the SR52 is probably only entry level and still has a massively bright spill beam.

For a true thrower, i want a pencil beam anyways. Otherwise you have so much glare from either the spill or moisture in the air that you can’t really see what’s out there anyways. Currently I have a dedomed XP-L at 4amps in a DST, and a dedomed XP-G2 at only 2.5amps in an A60. It is much easier to spot objects at distance with the A60, and much more portable too. The XR-E had an even tighter beam, but I had to get rid of it, it was a terrible tint.

Ive just built a C8 with A17DD-SO8 Direct Drive driver and a de-domed XM-L2, running some 25R this really throws but still nothing compared to my XP-G2 aspherical maglite. For extreme throw you need an aspherical.

This is what has been recommended on other forums:

This flashlight
http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-wf-501b-cree-r2-wc-250-lumen-led-flashlight-black-1-18650-2-cr123a-16240#.VRlPAxlwbqA

And replacing with these compenents
http://www.dx.com/p/26-5mm-aluminum-reflector-drop-in-module-set-without-emitter-5955#.VRlOyRlwbqA

http://www.dx.com/p/glass-optics-for-flashlights-28mm-5297#.VRlO6BlwbqA

Thoughts?

What forum suggested that? To start, mixing a reflector with an aspheric lens is a terrible idea. Also, the 501b is an okay starter light, but not if it is throw you are looking for.

It was this thread

You can try it, it may throw well but the beam will be UGLY :Sp (painting the reflector black would help)

That thread is from 2010, a lot has changed since then. I would say a Jacob A60 would be much better for you, if you can find them in-stock.

Thanks, I looked at the A60 but it looks a little large, ideally I want something pocketable,also on the DX listing of the flashlight, it says it doesn’t have a memory function but has a strobe mode, I’ve had flashlights with no memory in the past and it’s drove me insane having to cycle through the medium, low, strobe etc just to get onto hjgh

Well, most (if not all) good throwers have a little bit larger head. The modes on the A60 are a bit of a lottery, mine came with H>M>L>Strobe, always starts on high.

If you do go that route with the P60, I would get a wf502b or 504b instead of the 501b. They are a little better quality.

The problem is, that throwing goes hand in hand with reflector size.

So a Stick-Sized Flashlight like the Convoy S-Series won’t throw much.

Maybe the Convoy C8 will be better for you - 145mm long, head diameter 44mm.
Or the Convoy M2 137*31mm - But that’s far from being a thrower…

Edit: I would choose any Convoy over any 50xb light…