Building a High Intensity Light??

Wanting to build a high intensity light. From looking into other peoples builds, looks like people seem to favor sst-90’s when building a super bright light. What bodies are available for using this emitter or what seems to work the best with these? Is there a better emitter then the sst-90?

Also look at the MT-G2

^ I believe the MT-G2 is way more efficient than the SST90, as well as cheaper! I use to want the SST-90 too. That urge has long since passed away, once I got my MT-G2 in hand.

Single emitter-multi emitter- throw-flood?

I agree with the others, the MT-G2 would be the one to use.

And I believe Richard (RMM) at Mountain Electronics is doing a good deal at the moment for them $18.75 + shipping for the MT-G2 and zener mod DIY kit. Well worth a look to see if it is still currently available.

As for the host, there have been a lot of threads with people that have used various lights as hosts do a search and I am sure you will find one that interests you.

I have done a T-08, tried/still doing a shocker. And will do a Courui big head in the future. Once the MT-G2s stop committing suicide whenever they get near me :8)

Guess I’m looking to build a thrower. I like being able to throw the beams far out. I looked at a few T90’s as a host but I can’t find a blank host. All are loaded already and well over $100. Will consider the MT-G2 though.

You will need an enormous diameter reflector if you want to use MT-G2 for a thrower, because the dye is huge.

For a thrower avoid the MTG2. Instead you want a large reflector or aspheric lens combined with a dedomed XML2 or XPG2.

You won’t get the wall of light of an MTG2, but you will get far more throw.

What really got me interested in the sst-90’s is Old-Lumens pic throwing almost a mile and a half with his. That’s crazy.

sst90 is not nearly as efficient as an xml2 and I don't believe it can achieve the same level of intensity/per surface area. For throw, you need the brightest surface from the smallest area. xpg2 will beat an xml2 at that, but you get so much more total lumens from xml2 that it's worth sacrificing some throw to me.

We need more info to help you. Can you tell us any of the following:

• Are you willing to take the risk and learn how to safely handle Li-ion cells?
  • Total cost you would like to stay under?
  • Do you need the light turn key or can you build/modify one?
  • Type of light you want (Long, short, big, small)?

As you already know, you will need to go big reflector or aspheric lens to get big throw.

Nothing wrong with building an sst90 thrower. It will just be harder to pull off. Do you have a link to that O-L build?

EDIT: This member has some of the best lights around. Check out some of his beam shots and then search on the names of the lights you like. That may help you get a better feel for what you want.

Whoa… That FireFoxes light outthrows them all with its insane flood…

I have built 3 lights so far that use Li-ion cells. Two of those lights were reflows so I’m somewhat familiar with what’s involved. My budget, well I’m not looking to take a 2nd mortgage out on my house to build a flashlight, but I think I can spare a couple hundred.

Ok, good info. I see you mentioned the T90 above. You can get it for just under $70. To me, that is a very good deal because already has all the important ingredients (Great driver (very few capable high current drivers out there), reflector, heat sinking, cell capacity, and switch). You can go dedomed XM-L2 for super thrower like Relic built, MT-G2 for more light, but less throw, or dedome the SST-90 and put it on a Noctigon and resister mod the current up to 15 amps.

Check you my recent T90 build. You can replicate it for lot less effort by just using a Noctigon and smushing done the emitter wires to a thin and you can get them. Will probably need a copper disk or two to get it closer to the bottom of the reflector.

EDIT: Edited to list SST-90 option.