Bulging Lithium Ion Polymer Battery

what is a DDR battery?

stronger and tighter container more pressure more noise

If the phone display starts to show artifacts or light leaks due to a swollen battery, it is definitely time to take the battery out, before the display breaks or delaminates.

DDR = damaged, defective or recalled

I’ve once transported a bulged and deformed LiPo from a crashed model aircraft to the recycling yard. After revealing what I brought, I could see adult men diving for cover. What a fun! I left the thing there on the counter and never heard anything, not from fire brigade nor from detonations. Think it was OK.

Many professional lithium primary cells (for radio or ELT, etc.) have a discharge circuit, that by procedure has to be activated and run until the red light is off before disposal. A discharged battery has less reaction hazard, if kept dry and away from fire.

MUCH superior power+capacity to weight/volume ratio.

If you consider how many millions (billions?) of phones are in use, the number of defective batteries is exceedingly small. The subset of bulging batteries vs fires is even smaller. To adequately power it with NiMh the battery pack alone would need to be WAY WAY WAY larger than the phones are now. Want one of those?

You won’t have a choice. It’s the only power that is and has been used for years.
Used to be you could change the batteries easily. I’m not sure you can do that to any new phone without some special skill and determination, if at all. I’ve done it on an iPhone 6s. I did it, but it was a hassle and I’d have the dealer do it next time.
Unfortunately a lot of this kind of device have become ‘disposable’, with a limited life span.

Remember those transportable phone booths from the 80ies?
They had 8 to 12 AA-type NiCd under the back cover to deliver some 400mAh.

Battery packs CAN be made with a lot of safety, but the marked would’t pay the premium.
LiFePo and other chemistry exist, but are much more expensive and even a little bit bulkier for the same stored power.

Anyway, I can’t understand why people are eager to buy a flat thin phone or laptop and then put it into a shell or case or fix a gripping knob to the backside. One could buy a more sturdy rugged device and have a much lighter and slimmer result.

But the market is not yet ripe for this.

I’m pretty much lumping all versions of lithium power into the same category though there are differences in chemistry. I have no idea how or why the various chemistries are distributed in these kind of devices.

The battery in the phone is determined by a bunch of tradeoffs involving price, battery size, battery capacity. Those are all up to the phone company. Mostly it has been trying to get a thin phone that doesn’t weigh much.

Here is a comparison of the lithium ion versus lithium iron phosphate batteries that doesn’t require a degree in chemistry to understand. It looks like there are some important advantages of LIP over Li-ion even though the Li-ion batteries deliver more capacity for the same weight battery.

One I see right away is that LIP batteries are non toxic and safer while we all know the hazards of Li-ion.

My wife’s Pixel 4 started to have issues with her NFC (google pay) not working. Turns out, the battery was starting to bulge and was pushing the case apart where the NFC antenna connection is. I ordered a new battery from Ifixit.com and replaced it myself. I wouldn’t call it simple, but it wasn’t too hard. After a few days of being out of the charging circuit, the battery started to shrink some. Once it was back to semi normal size, I took it to a local fix it place, explained everything to them, they took it to recycle with no issue.