Bulk vs Bright for showing dents in aluminum siding

What a nice topic this is
A banana body with apple as head is just the coolest description of a flashlight size.
Welcome to BLF!
And man you started with some nice lights there!

The Acebeam K70 is working GREAT for FINDING hail impacts to aluminum siding on my inspections.
Now I am looking for another light to help me take photos of damage, something with more “wash” and less “throw”.

I find that the photos taken with K70 tend to have so much contrast, and the beam is so TIGHT that the surrounding area of my photo goes dark, and the photo doesn’t show the hail impacts beyond a very narrow strip of light across the wall of siding.

I want to keep the K70, because it helps me find the flaws so easily.
I am looking at the K60 for taking pictures after I find the damage, because it has more spill.

Does that seem like a good choice, or do you know of another light that can “wash” the wall with light and avoid burning out the center with hot spot?
I really like the 4 battery set up (like soup can). I saw the youtube video comparing K60 to K70 and a pretty sure the K60 will do what I want.

I need something with a lot of output (like my K70 has) as I am using it in daylight.

Glad to hear the K70 is working out! It’s a beast, especially on turbo.
If you are looking for the same level of performance as the K70, but in a flooder instead of a thrower (and you like the soup-can form-factor), I’d probably go with a Noctigon M43.
Since it would be used for photos, I’d opt for a neutral-white (and higher CRI) emitter option, like the Nichia 219c @ 5000K. YMMV!

:beer:

Wow, that would certainly get rid of the hot spot in my photos.
that one may be a little too diffused for what I do…

Here’s an example of my Acebeam K70 in daylight showing dents in metal screen

I would like to have a wider beam, to show “damage all over” not just a narrow area. But I think if it is too much flood the dents may not show up.
That is why I am thinking of the Acebeam K60 because it still shoots fairly straight light as opposed to super-scattered flood

Convoy L6 will do that for you and save you more than $100 you'd pay for a comparable flashlight of another brand.

Nice - I wasn’t familiar so I checked that out after reading your post. Awesome light.
One of the things I like about the AceBeam K-70 I bought was how it is rather short and fits on my toolbelt without hanging down too much.
And i have a bunch of the 18650 batteries now… so I just ordered the Acebeam K60.
After looking at a bunch of beam shot info on youtube, I think it will do what I need for a daylight tool to show dents in aluminum.

Thanks folks, I knew nothing when I started this thread a few months ago. I still don’t know much about lights, but getting a feel for what works for me.

OK I got the Acebeam K60 and compared it to my Acebeam K70.
I think they each have their own function, and I will use both of them.

The LED is physically so much bigger on the K60, and that is part of the reason why it has more spill-flood along with different reflector.

Does anyone know why the K70 uses the LED that it has, rather than the huge one put in the K60?

I can see that the throw on the K70 is amazing, but it is such a tight beam.
For what I need it for, the K70 is going to continue to be great for FINDING damage in aluminum siding and fascia during daylight, the K60 will help the photos turn out better because a broader area will be illuminated once I found a region with damage.
Often the hail comes from the west, or north, and the other sides of the house don’t have damage. So you find it, then you try to document it with photos.

It was fantastic for my job - but I just listed the Acebeam K70 on Ebay because of change in career. Including 4 Samsung batteries, someone will give it a new life.

Great thread with some very informative and helpful suggestions from the super BLF guys—what a great bunch to hang out with.

Depending on the runtimes you need you could even use an S2+, S3 (as already suggested) with a very floody TIR optic. Its very easy to swap the original reflector. This is a small and very cheap solution.

The Convoy 4X18A with a very floody TIR as well would be perfect for longer runtimes. Kaidomain has a 25 degree TIR (which is pure flood to my experience) for the xhp70.2 for 2$. It also has usb charging and would be very practical.

Edit: lol just saw the date, I am 4 years late :person_facepalming: . Anyway it might be useful to someone….