C8 addicts thread

OP's are worse for throw, so don't think anyone would be interested in measuring/comparing throw from an OP.

So, I got the Convoy C8 of BG lately…
“Best C8 deal around”?
Nice built quality, nice finish, good threading.
My LED is a bit greenish though, and the UI is a true B*TCH !
I mean, really, did they think nobody accidentally changes groups when using?
Yes, groups change accidentally when using…
Also, it sometimes stays in the same mode…
(so yeah, a wee bit disappointed…)

For the money it is a good light seriously. At $16 people could always receive crap. I believe since Convoy tries to control the price of their C8 as low as possible they use a cheaper variation of Nanjg driver , which doesn’t allow the user to customize the mode groups by connecting different stars to the ground. If you are willing to pay up to $30 then you should go for the XinTD C8.

About “staying in the same mode”, Nanjg driver has 2 seconds On Time memory, which mean if you stay on a particular mode for more than 2 seconds, after you turning it off and on again it will stay in the same mode.

Trust me I have spent $16 on an even worse flashlight before when I was ignorant about flashlight stuff. Perhaps you can do some modding, making it perfect to you and be happy with it. :slight_smile:

Hmm… in hind sight i was a bit too negative about it.
Yes, for the money it’s a nice one for sure.
Also it was me who chose the tint, but expected higher CRI i suppose…
Not the first XM-L2 i don’t like though, so i should have known better maybe…
It so happens I have a 8x 7135 2 group (with stars) driver waiting for a job, so I guess this may be it…
But i also have the matching extension tube, so maybe a nice PWM-less buck driver…
We’ll see. I don’t know much about drivers…
Let me also say that of the 3 C8 models i have, this one is the best build quality BY FAR.
Yes, i was very interested in the XinTD C8.
I didn’t know what to choose for weeks. :smiley:
Decided to go for the bargain…
…and all the enthusiastic reviews about it…
:slight_smile:

Here’s my most recent budget build. I built 6 of these for the [adaults of] the local scout troop (but I left theirs black) so I wanted to go the same route and try to make it as cheap as possible, this is one of the $6 host’s from FT, I had the Noctigon/XM-L2, 11 7135’s, forward clicky (but this host still tailstands), AR lens and XR reflector already. All in all came in under $20. Running at 3.8-4A (off laptop pulls) its doing 43kcd.

It’s running STAR off-time 3-mode with no memory. Makes a great general use light around the house and on dog walks (that is on nights I’m not taking other lights to test / play with lol).

I was really happy with how it came out, it’s got some pearl in the color but not sure if that showed on the pic.

One last thanks to RMM for his help getting the donation together!

I see there are many 42mm ar lens for the c8 (fasttech cnqualitygoods intl-outdoor). Which one should i buy?

cnqualitygoods have the best AR quality but if you want the best of the best there is UCL lens.

Where do you get these? Do you have a link?

Hi guys,
so, anyone tried to make aspheric C8?
I would love to make aspheric light so why not start with beloved C8 :smiley:
Is it possible to do this with C8 at all ? I guess someone would already
done it by now!

Just started to collect info about aspherics, any thoughts to contribute?
Thanks

I’m working on one. Slowly, very slowly. I have to get the led up 13mm. I’m still debating on how I want to do it. The focal length of my aspheric means the die has to be raised.

I’m considering a tower aspheric optic to raise the die profile up 13mm which would make it a double aspheric but I don’t know if it’ll work yet.

The simple way is to just toss a slab of copper or aluminum in there to raise it up but that’s too easy and not very unique.

I’m also working on a convex c8 using a sst90.

When/if I ever progress on these I’ll post how and the results.

Did you find a suitable good quality lens for it?
How about making longer threaded rod (AL or CU) and screw it instead of C8 pill!

I’ve thought about using a new pill. I’d like to try the cylinder aspheric condenser lenses to raise the die image though. (I don’t know if it’ll work. The lenses are expensive so I haven’t tried yet)

I’m just using the 43mm lens from fasttech. It’s a Plano lens but works great, it’s 20mm focal length and the convoy c8 I’m using the led sits 34mm down from where the lens bottoms out. I had to sand the lens to 42mm and it’s a tight fit.

If it all works good I’ll explore different lens options but I’m trying to keep the price down.

so exciting :stuck_out_tongue:

So after having and using a C8 for, I quess, 2 years I want to get a new one. But not just ‘a new one’, I want to make my own using a Convoy C8 host from fasttech including some other parts from fasttech.

Plan is to make a decent to good thrower with some good battery life, hence the dual 18650 setup. And adding that extension tube makes it look like a more decent, big and powerfull flashlight. I wont use it very often, at least nog very long on high.

The host: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1618/10002463/1277302-convoy-c8-diy-led-flashlight-host
A extension tube to run it with 2x 18650: http://www.fasttech.com/product/1575200-aluminum-alloy-extension-tube-for-1-18650-c8-led
And a XP-G2 LED: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1609/10001905/1311505-cree-xpgbwt-xp-g2-r5-1a-472-lumen-6500-7000k-led
And I will get 3 different reflectors, http://www.fasttech.com/products/1617/10001275/1203500-aluminum-smooth-reflector-for-cree-xm-l-led-emitte and http://www.fasttech.com/products/1617/10007057/1575100-aluminum-alloy-smooth-reflector-for-cree-xr and http://www.fasttech.com/products/1617/10001275/1220100-aluminum-smooth-reflector-for-cree-xm-l-xr-e-xr-. Just to try them out. (also for the C8 I already have)

So now I only need a driver, I looked on fasttech but couldn’t find one there. I found one on dealextreme (http://www.dx.com/p/18v-5w-cree-circuit-board-for-flashlights-16-8mm-5-5mm-26110#.VFUu9fmG_Tp) which looks like a decent driver.

Here come’s the questions:
Does anyone know if all these components fit together?
Can/should I increase the drive current to, lets say, 2A?
Are there some tricks to improve performance/heat transfer?

BTW, I really like the c8 style lights. That one I have has a XML in it with a strange type of reflector (sort of a 2 stage reflector), it throws pretty good and is pretty bright. But have to say that I changed the driver on that one.

So long story short, I want to make a good 2x18650 C8 that throws pretty good and has good battery life.

According to the comments on the battery tube it is compatible with the Convoy. I'm not sure if this is any help but the Shadow TC300 seems to have everything your after. CNQG offer this light in two tints and about the cheapest one I could find. If you build the light post it up and let us know how it went. I'm sure others would be interested as well.

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1557

So, that should fit.

The shadow TC300 liks indeed like a good flashlight. But it has a XML emitter and I want a XPG emitter.

I think I just going to order it tomorrow and try it out! It isn’t that much money if it doesn’t work and I can always mod it agian.

So I ordered everything yesterday.

Now I just wait till it arrives, in the mean well I can play with a sipik sk68 clone that is on his way to me :).

If I dont forget I will update here about the build. :wink:

I recieved everything today, but there are some problems.
I already contacted fasttech about this.

The convoy C8 host came with a different driver pill than it shows on the photos. And the extension tube wont fit, it appears to have different screw threads. It looks like I recieved a different version of the convoy C8.

Im wondering what fasttech says about this…

Yes, the new version takes a 20mm MCPCB, although a 16mm will still fit since it is the same reflector. The threads are different now and are square cut, so no extension tubes will fit.