C8 addicts thread

Yep, and the XRE reflector is wider at the base around the emitter than the XML versions, and to me, give a tighter spot and better throw (in outdoor use, no idea how they compare on a lux meter).

Well back into c8s because its almost hunting season.

Tonight I made a xpg2 on sinkpad, lapped star and kinda lapped pill, direct drive with 20 gauge wire.

3.9 amps on trustfire flames
4.2 amps on panasonic PD
5.2 amps on samsung Q’s

The reflector is gonna take more work to focus, its probably a good 1mm too high right now.

Measures 1840 Lux at 8m, or 117,000 cd

I’m not sure if the switch is letting the whole 5.2 amps through, ran it for 30 seconds and was only just warm. I think It needs some good lapping with lapping paste and switch mods, and the reflector focused.

Reasonably confident I can get it well over 150,000 cd, which is about what you got too Tom?

The lux readings at 8m were

3.9 amps 1640
4.2 amps 1710
5.2 amps 1840 as above

Sleep!

Chris

Crap! That's doin fine Chris! I haven't done any pure direct drive C8's. I think I get about 125-135 kcd on a de-domed XP-G2 in a C8, but I'm not running the amps that high, so yours is in virgin territory, for me that is.

Some great info in this thread. Anyone have some beamshots comparing xpg-2 (dome/dedomed) and xml-2 (dome/dedomed) in a c8? I’d love to see some beam profiles to judge what might be too skinny of a beam for my personal taste.

Hmmmm I do but dunno where they are.

There is not a huge difference, its not like the xpg2 is a jacobs a60 beam, but I’m beginning to find the xml2 is just so much better for my uses.

The xml2 produces so much more light that it just feels like you can see further, you can cover twice the area in the same time as xpg2, and only maybe 15% less throw.

When I get time ill do some shots :slight_smile:

Chris

Sounds good.

What makes me lean toward a dedomed xpg-2 is the Vf. Driven at the same current, the dedomed xpg-2 would have a lower Vf and more throw compared to a dedomed xml-2. The benefit of the xml-2 though is more light and wider (potentially more useful) beam.

Basically, low vf + more throw vs. more lumens + wider beam.

Looks like I’ll wait for the beamshots to see. If it comes down to it, I’ll probably build both and judge for myself too.

Well just spent 5 mins with some sandpaper and the soldering iron, aaaannnnndddd….

Not quite what I had hoped for, but:

141kcd at 5.41 amps, DD on 20Q’s with dedomed xpg2 on copper.
130kcd at 5.1 amps after a minute or 2.

I have 20 gauge hobbyking wires going directly from the brass pill to the -ve terminal, from the tip of the spring to the +ve terminal and from the brass tailcap insert to the switchboard.

The lux reading is identical through the multimeter and the tailcap switch, so its loosing very little if any current now.

Also, the LED has a blue hotspot, and once you turn it off it stays glowing for about 10 seconds :slight_smile:

Need 150k!!!

Chris

Getting quite close! Although I was planning on lower currents, I may have to build a overdriven xpg-2 c8 just to have a handheld light that can throw that far.

Well Tom is getting almost these numbers off a much lower current, Im going to try 3.5 and 4 amps, see what I can do :slight_smile:

Chris

Just a quick update for my reference really.

DD xml2 u2 sitting on copper pill, 24awg wire ~ 100mm total (test set up) :

6.22 amps Samsung 20Q
5.65 amps Panasonic PD

Chris

Seems you all are not true addicts!

Made about 5 c8s this fortnight, most are 4.2 amp xml2-u2s at just under 95,000 cd.

But today got onto my xpe2 projects, as illumination supply are about 1,000,000 times faster than fasttech with my hd2010.

Driving 2.8 amps exactly with the normal mods, samsung 20q’s measures 119,000 cd at 8m.

Just waiting for the arctic alumina to dry to hold the emitter onto the AS properly, think i didn’t mix it properly dammit.

Then ill get the AR glass in it (thinner so holds less pressure on the sinkpad) and remove the centring spacer.

Should be preeeeeeeeeeeetty close to 150k I think!

Chris

dedomed and wired for fire and never look back. :bigsmile:

Cnqualitygood sell a upgrade C8 host , I don’t know the difference but the grip should be better. This is the same body that is used on the very expensive PuissanceLED C8 : 53€

Someone have tried it ?

Recently added hosts:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1562701 - UltraFire C8 host, 16mm/17mm, looks like a nonstandard pill, probably should avoid.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1562702 - UltraFire C10 host, 16mm/17mm, but looks like the standard C8 pill design so the brass replacements would fit if so.

The cheapest, and maybe most interesting...

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1562700 - no-name C8 host, 20mm/20mm(!!), no pill shown in the last pic, like the others? Does that mean it’s got a 1-piece head, no removable pill?

I saw those new FT C8 hosts - was wondering if they are true "standard C8" threads/pills, etc., and if they have the pressed in brass ring or not. If the UF branded C8 and C10 were true standard size then they are well worth it - better than the Convoy C8 host. I'm modding the UF C8's from FastTech with the SS bezel now - had to press fit in my own brass rings, and the pills are not standard C8 threads, but for $13 with a true SS full size bezel, they are a great deal.

Betting the cheap C8 host is non-standard, all aluminum pill. For $6 though, worth it to try one. FT tech support would never answer, I'm sure.

Check the last picture on each listing, the UF C8 definitely isn't a normal C8 pill, the C10 looks similar. It's got about the right proportions, anyway.

edit: I don't think there's space in the C8 format for a 20mm driver in a removable pill and still have it clear the battery tube.

It’s pretty well the same as the battery tube on the Jacob A60. I’m not a fan.

There’s definitely more grip, but it’s far less comfortable to hold than some standard C8 knurling. What is on the A60 is kind of sharp edged on the squares too, but this may vary.

Hey folks, back on page 3 I received some advice and tackled my first build, a convoy host w/ XM-L2 U2 @ 3.04A single mode and I couldn’t be happier. Now I’ve got the parts under the xmas tree for my second but I don’t have the drive current or emitter picked out just yet and I’m looking for advice…

I’m wanting a super thrower, don’t care about total lumen output. Last time an XP-E2 was only available bare, now I can order one on a 16mm Noctigon, I’m wondering what the max drive current is (or atleast what’s high enough to get the best throw possible)?

Also I see deeper reflectors are now available, should I go that route or stick with a standard SMO (btw if you remember me I was looking at a SMO last time but decided to go with the OP and couldn’t imagine a better setup!)

There are deeper reflectors, but only the 42w x 31d will fit in a normal C8.

This one uses a deeper reflector, 42 x 41: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1206303

In the standard C8 format, the best reflector is the 42x31 XR-E reflector that comes in the cheapest C8s anyway. The XML-specific reflectors aren't as good, the beam is ringy and just generally ugly.

Here's a dedomed XML2 in the XRE reflector:

The difference between XP-G2 and XP-E2 is not that great :

XP-G2 : Lux-RC Labs - Products - Artifact Flashlight - Artifact 2023 - On Sale
XP-E2 : Lux-RC Labs - Products - Artifact Flashlight - Artifact 2023 - On Sale