C8 addicts thread

Does your C8 have the deep reflector? I don’t think that one could ever be truly focused.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-1PC-UltraFire-C8-Deep-Longer-Reflector-CREE-XM-L-U3-LED-5M-1600LM-LED/839114841.html

No its definitely the smaller one, i know its a bad comparison but i have a 501b with xpg2 at 3a and it throws just as far with much more spill than my direct driven de domed xml2 on copper in a c8

Wow, yeah there's a problem if your P60 is out throwing your dedomed and hard driven C8, even if the P60 has an XP-G2.

I have no idea why even with the reflector sitting way over the xml2 it has a bad hotspot i guess ill just have to keep trying

Dunno - I never had to go to the point of filing down the reflector to get good throw from a de-domed XM-L2 in a C8. I get about 100 kcd or little better, whcih is double or little better than domed on a 3.85A to 4.2A XM-L2 U2 on copper. Not sure exactly what you are looking for to get it focused. Usually if there's a black spot in the center of the beam at 2 feet or higher, I consider that out of focus. Usually you will see the black hole at closer distances. Filing down the flat zone of the reflector may hurt throw, could be more likely to hurt throw.

I dont think it would make much difference as the light is only emmited at 179 degress or something i could be wrong, thinking about it the hotspot isnt terrible but it just doesnt make sense when i compare to my 501b

With the light off and at a good distance from your eye, a focused reflector will appear completely yellow when viewed straight on. You may need to move your head (eye) no more than about 1/2” out from center to check the arcs at the outer circumference.

Checking the focus this way is easier because adjustments can be tested while the light is apart and a poorly shaped reflector will be obvious without wasting any more time on it. If all looks good, the focal point can be set and the problem isn’t the reflector. If focus can’t be set, you need a better reflector.

Shown below, my XinTD V3 shows that the reflector needs to be moved in as moving the reflector out makes the green ring at the center fatter (worse). The outer circumference seems to get worse also which is a good sign that it is the right shape but out of focus.

I have never needed to sand/file a C8 reflector, all mine have needed thicker spacers, like around 0.080-0.090".

Can you post a photo of a perfect focused led?

Does anyone get a good beam with the smooth xre reflector? No matter what i do its very ringy.

It's not very pretty when hunting walls, but then lots of other good-throwing reflectors are not very pretty either, including the narrow-base XML C8. Take it outside and you'll see why you should stop worrying about what it looks like indoors.

anyone got a good link to ebay seller selling c8 ? btw i own a keygos ke5 xml t6 looking to upgrade a c8 with the latest led , is xm-l2 u3 the latest ?

These are the ones I buy now

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S021238

20mm pill, 17mm driver, xml2, pretty good quality, fasttech AR lens fits, switches seem to handle current very well, cheap enough

Chris

from the pic from the official website , looking at it , the ones sold in ebay seem different WhaFat Technological Co.,Ltd

is this legit ? ultrafire-shop.net
i found only the xml t6 version

A buddy is wanting a 100k+ lux thrower in the smallest package possible so I told him the C8 was the right way to go. Total output doesn’t matter, just the intensity. What should I have him order, an XP-E2 or -G2 and should I dedome it or leave it stock?

xpg2 dedomed, probably gonna need over 3 amps

Chris

And what reflector would be best for a tight hot spot with the least amount of spill- stock OP, stock SMO or an XR-E SMO.

Why not a Jacob A-60?

Jacobs a60 has about 1/4 the hotspot of an xpg2 c8 and under half an xpe2.

It will run 200kcd but even at 500y it doesn’t fill my scope fov with light. It’s a great torch, but c8 is more usable.

The xml2 from kd listed above has a good reflector for all Cree die sizes. It has a small recess that gives extra clearance to large wires on 20mm sinkpads etc.

Cnqualitygoods stocks r5 reflectors (xpg r5) that work perfect with xpe2 and xpg2, with the same recess but a smaller emitter hole.

Chris

For a tight hot spot with the least amount of spill, an aspheric lens is as laser-like as you can get without actually being a laser.

I have a UF-838 that I’m modding with de-domed XP-G2 as soon as I can figure out how to build a heat sink into the hollow pill. Early tests show that simply swapping the emitter should raise it from 14 kcd (XM-L) to about 60 kcd (XP-G2) with no other mods. And that’s with a relatively small plastic lens. It should be lots of fun, especially when I get out a loupe and some transparencies to project.

I’ve heard great things about the Jacob A60 too, for throw. It’s probably the easiest way to get a reflector-based thrower for cheap. But as mentioned, its hotspot is tiny and there is very little spill.

Otherwise, try the mods mentioned earlier in this thread and you should be able to create a C8 with 100+ kcd of throw. Basically, replace the emitter with a de-domed XP-G2, give it a nice smooth reflector, probably an anti-reflective lens, some copper in the tail, high-amp batteries, some extra 7135 chips, and as much heat sinking as you can stand. And be prepared for some frustration when focusing the thing and getting the bezel tightened down. I have a relatively inexpensive and simple one and it gets 88 kcd without even bumping up the power. (well, now down to 86 kcd because I messed up the focus and can’t get it quite right again… but close enough)

For fun sometime I might see if I can make a better C8 thrower, mixing and matching parts until I get the most intense spot, but I really have no use for it… it would just be for my own entertainment. (for now, I have plenty of more interesting mods to do)