Calling SOFIRN: detailed data on your 5000mAh 21700 battery needed

Curiously, the battery voltage didn’t go up at all once the discharge-to-3.73V-for-storage procedure ended: it stayed exactly at 3.73V even after waiting for almost an hour. This seems to indicate that, at least for discharging down to storage voltage, D.REDUCE is actually unnecessary and should be set to OFF for this specific battery.

1 Thank

Hi, It is the first one,
The discharge stops when it ends.

2 Thanks

Thanks for the confirmation, @Barry0892! Really appreciated, and it’s a pleasure dealing with a responsive vendor like you.

2 Thanks

dmenezes, I want to thank you for the work and listing your findings. Keeps confusion at bay and enlightens.

2 Thanks

Thanks for the encouraging words, I really appreciate them.

1 Thank

I found that strange because, besides my battery not reaching its nominal 5000mAh capacity when I tested it that way, that was the first time I see a Li-Ion battery where the manufacturer does not recommend a residual discharge current (aka D.REDUCE) for the battery to reach its nominal capacity, but I checked and this seems to also be the case for the Lishen LR2170SD(03BCEA5) battery that Sofirn reportedly used to wrap previusly.

Anyway, a single test like the one I did so far is not enough to reach any conclusions, so I plan to keep using (and recharging) that battery in the weeks/months that will follow and I will come back here and update.

I’ve seen many Li-ion datasheets and I do not recall any that specified a residual discharge current as part of the standard/rated discharge process.

eg.

2 Thanks

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. Out of curiosity, what cells were these (the ones in the “eg” screenshots you included)?

MJ1, 50E, and a BAK 21700 cell

1 Thank