Camera Batteries

I love photography ! Especially macro and landscape ….
Part of photography is feeding the camera with power / mostly sourced from batteries …
And as everyone guesses the best batteries are probably the genuine factory product .
Now is this a given

I don’t know ?

So I spent some time looking for reviews on Canon 60D batteries …
All I could find was opinion based on conjecture based on questionable use with more variables than a Tuesday !

So I ordered a charger and aftermarket battery ( Cheapest battery ) .
The charger will be gutted , and re wired to plug into my hobby charger / dis charger …
The aftermarket battery will be the Test Bunny !
Fingers crossed we end up with actual DATA rather than toxic smoke and mirrors …

Canon Charger came today …
I have gutted it , and put in a + - Lead for plugging into my hobby charger / dis charger …

Now I can test Canon Camera battery capacity …

Can’t wait for the results. I have the 5D II and 7D and am curious about real numbers for factory and a couple of aftermarket cells.

I did exactly that myself. I rewired a universal USB charger as a base to test both camera and cell phone batteries with my Accucel-6. In general any cheap aftermarket [not original] batteries were complete junk (DOA, rare but happened), to 50–80 of original battery capacity. I pretty much ignored CLAIMED capacity. Just like Ultrafire, the higher the claim, the worse the battery. I even tried one camera battery that claimed less capacity in the hope it would at least be….honest. Nope, not a chance.
Batteries that claimed to be ‘original’, which was exceedingly common for my Samsung S3, NEVER were. They had a stick-on sleeve covering their real origins. It was often a bitch to get off too.
Note - one eBay seller of the fake S3 batteries shipped me a new pair when one was DOA and I showed photographic proof with my test setup the other one was far short of the claim. The new pair did make it to 80%, but no better than that. I tried a couple more and they were worse. I finally did find some NOS Duracells that were as good as original by hunting eBay for months. These could only be purchased as single entities, as they were no longer available new.

I found my 2+ year old well used original batteries could almost always put the new cheapies to shame. I have not bothered with subsequent tests to see how the cheap ones hold up.

For on line reviews I found this entire category is tantamount to useless. It’s all anecdotal. Maybe 1-2% actually know what they are talking about. The rest is mostly, “works fantastic”, or “works crappy, don’t buy”.

It’s kind of tough when the originals are often going for $50 for a tiny original and cheap replacements are $10.

Post for the battery tested …