Can an XP-L handle big li-ion direct drive?

I was going to use a fet driver in a single 26650 thrower, but I was concerned that the cell might cause some trouble for the emitter. So do I have anything to worry about?

Thanks

It will be fine. DTP board is a must.

3P 18650’s are no problem with XP-L + FET driver.

Yep, as long as the cooling is good, then there should be no issue. Wasn’t there a thread here not to long ago about certain 18650’s having much higher current output than a 26650? I’ll have to see if I can find it.

You know I wouldn’t be surprised if the bulk of high drain 18650s have a higher discharge rate than the 26650s, because of the market share they hold. The battery companies spend their R&D money on the 18650 because it returns it in the long run. 26650 just doesn’t sell well enough to warrant much improvement.

That’s a shame too, you would expect it to have a higher drain because of its size. You would think they would have designed it that way….

The exact same thing happened to big nimh. The D cells could be so much better if they would sell more than they do.

At 4.2V an XPL will draw ~7A (under ideal conditions, battery voltage is likely to drop a bit at this amperage).

Source: Cree XP-L V6 2C led, tested against XM-L2 T6 3C, edit23/7: I repeated the test and measured a dedomed XP-L

Am running a XP-L V6 1D with four D NiMH Tenergy 10,000mah batteries with a HX-1175b1 driver. My tailcap readings are about 6A @ 4.8V. Others have reported this driver is capable of 6-7A.