Can I Use These 18650's In My Flashlights? (First Time Makita Batterypack Pull)

Awesome, thanks!
I didnt know about this website.

Edited to add final measurements.

24Hr Later Voltage Check

1. 1 - 4.13v
  2. 2 - 4.13v
  3. 3 - 4.12v
  4. 4 - 4.12v

Im not sure if thats a lot of loss or not.

To compare against, I have also charged up a “Wurkkos” 18650 and checked its voltage off the charger and saw 4.19v.
Checked again at 45min. 4.18v (missed the hour mark.)
Checking again 24hrs later showed 4.17v.
So the Makita/Sony cells are going down a little bit fast?
I checked them again 48hours later, and they still show the same readings as the 24hr reading. So they dont seem to be going to down anymore.

Are there any specific concerns to be had using 9 year old cells?
Like… is turbo gonna put such a strain on them they heat up a ton or anything like that?

No, they were power cells, so it’s fine.

Just don’t expect excellent battery life :smiley:

I should maybe mention.

I dont NEED these cells.

The ones in my lights are all perfectly fine and better than these anyway.

Im just trying this out because I can.

I’ve done the same thing. Pulled some 18650s from an old laptop, smoothed out the weld spots, tested them (measured at 1900mAh), and still have them years later even though I don’t really need them.

But I’ve put 1 (of the 6) to use in a UV flashlight since it doesn’t require much current and barely gets used. Still not sure what to do with the other 5!

Here are 3 of them:

I get old cells all the time. My g/f works in the computer dept of a local school. I have boxes of battery packs I haven’t even cracked open much less need to. They just replace “bad packs” and throw them out. No there is no local e waste recycler to turn them into. Just kinda fun to do when I’m bored to test a few dozen cells.

I pulled 9 18650 cells out of a Lenovo laptop battery pack that the laptop was showing as bad. Everyone of them charged up fine and still holds a charge. I don’t use them in any high drain flashlights, but they work great for regular use.

Yes! Thank you.

Now back on topic: I also have some old 18650 (Samsung 24E) batteries salvaged from an old Asus laptop. They measure around 2000mAh and I use them in low powered lights and also my drone transmitter.

Not so fast,
Now you have to reach through the screen and clean this! lol

I got a little impatient and decided to try one of the cells.
Seems to work fine in the few lights ive tried it with.
Keeping it in my E14 now to see how long It lasts before needing to be swapped/charged.

I put it in at 4.12v, cycled throught all the modes and then quickly tested it again.
It showed 4.04 now. Slowly climbing back up to 4.10 after about 10min.
Threw it back in the E14, and have just been using it regularly for the past 2 days/nights.
Its at 3.91v. Not bad?