Can massive amount of lumens overcome poor throwing LED's?

Hypothetically, can a massive amount of lumens overcome the lack of throw from certain LED’s? For example, the XHP70’s aren’t good for throwing. But if you took multiple of them at 4000 lumen each with each LED in a deep reflector, would they overcome the throw problem? Same for MT-G2’s. I know they are more for flood, but would 15,000 lumens of MT-G2’s accomplish reasonable throw in deep reflectors? What about 6 or 7 SST90’s? Wheels turning here, just ignore me :wink: Just curious what I could accomplish with 15,000-25,000 lumen.

15k lm, 200 kcd:

It’s an XM-L light, but you get the idea

Yeah but that is with shallow reflectors. I’m talking maybe HS-802 reflectors or the XRE deep C8 reflectors, or something along the lines of A60 reflectors. Hell, what about SST90 reflectors!!!

Well I was quick testing the K60 last night and it throws pretty good. 8)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

http://flashlightwiki.com/Light_Output_Measurements

Lux and Lumens are different beasts. You don't measure "throw", by lumens. You measure it by Lux. What does that mean to the average person? Not a whole hell of a lot really. Say your "thrower" can do 300,000 kcd @ 1 meter. Well that's fantastic, but whatyagonnadowithit?

I would say that I would first determine exactly what I want.

Exactly how far away do I want to illuminate something?

How well do I want to illuminate it? Do I want it to just be visible or do I want to burn the leaves off a tree at a mile away. (laser for that).

How big of an area do I want to illuminate? 5', 10', 50', 100' ?

The word "thrower" is one of the most vague words I have ever heard, because everyone and I mean everyone, wants something different in mind, when they think of thrower.

If you want to determine how well a light throws, then you need to be able to measure lux. You need to do that yourself, since probably no one eles will make the same light as you, using the same components, so their measurements don't necessarily answer your question.

More lumens OTF means brighter, yes, but it does not mean the light will reach out farther.

Yeah I realize the whole lux vs lumens deal. I generally don’t really care about lumens. My personal preference is lights that can illuminate a wild hog at extreme distances for hunting. Generally speaking, the multi emitter LED’s and the MT-G2 is not known for throwing long distances. I’m looking at say 500-700 yards. I have not seen any lights with multiple emitters and deep reflectors. Just the shallower honeycomb type reflectors. There will be obvious overlap of beams in a multiple emitter setup with deep reflectors. Just wondering if you put enough of these LED’s together with ridiculous OTF Lumens, would the overlap increase the lux to a point that these distances are obtainable. I basically want a handheld football stadium flashlight. One that will light up a huge area and have some distance. I am interested in the LED’s I mentioned just to be different. I’m bored at the moment with XP and XM series.

Jmpaul has some measurements - Ace Beam K60vn XHP70 stock light
sony vtc5
4998 Turbo @ turn on (ACEBEAM WAS CLOSE with 5000 lumen!)
4711 Turbo @ 30 sec
4110 High
1983 Mid
842 Low
99 Low2
0.40 Firefly
Throw - 194,000 lux http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?387655-Jmpaul320-OTF-Lumen-Sphere-Readings-amp-throw-measurements/…… Not bad at all! His X60 is really amazing too!

It depends on what question you’re asking. You can get big emitters to throw using big reflectors and a lot of current, but a smaller emitter with higher intensity and the same size reflector will throw farther. This should hold true for all the semi-common emitters and anything reasonably described as a “flashlight”, but there’s some point at which you start getting close to the physical limits on beam divergence, after which a larger emitter with more lumens will beat a smaller, more intense emitter. I’ll leave calculating that size for say… an XP-G2 to someone else.

Any update on this ? , which one did you end up buying? :slight_smile:

No, because they will also blind you more when they produce more lumens.
A “massive” reflector or optic (diameter is the important thing) will do the job though.

Shallow reflectors throw better because they are wide at the base.

Like said above, big optic will give you a tight beam with big LED. Just as an example, Ledil Seanna A with XHP70 will produce a beam as tight as that of Convoy C8 with XP-L HI. Dedome for even better effect.

Nope. Only the diameter of the larger opening really makes a difference. It dictates the useable surface area of the reflector (as seen from the hotspot).

yes, flood of lumens can be very far reaching,

This.

However, with a very floody light one potential disadvantage is you will be lighting up everything in the foreground. The massive amount of light reflected off stuff nearby may wash out the small amount of reflected light from objects in the distance. So even at the same lux rating a dedicated thrower with little or no spill is still better for distance viewing.

Not true, because the shallow reflector is a section of a larger parabola than the deep one with the same diameter, and thus the focal distance is larger with the shallow reflector and thus the beam (and corona) is tighter.
In other words, the LED is relatively smaller in relation to the parabola when you have a shallow reflector.
Also, deep reflectors just don’t reflect that much more light than a shallow one.

This illustration shows that:

(dark red is typical proportions as found in Convoy C8)