Can you help me choose a desktop pc?

Bort I think am going to need that case adapter. I had sent a message to the seller about adding the SSD and his respose was this.

“Unfortunately we only have 120gb SSD’s in inventory at the moment. Also, I don’t think we have the caddy required to install 2.5” SSD’s in this machine.“

So I am guessing I will need that also.

Nitro I will add everything to the OP once I have this hammered out. :slight_smile:

Thank you less stress on me trying to choose everything :wink:

You don’t need the seller to install the SSD, you can do it yourself, so buy it from somewhere else that has what you want. That said 128GB is sufficient, its what i have and have managed fine. Also data loss on SSDs is a new issue, i know of no data recovery services that cover it, so especially for a business make sure you have automatic backups.

Also the adapters vary in price and design so shop around, being in canada my recommended places won’t help much

Retail packages of the Samsung SSD drives come with a 2.5” to 3.5” adapter in the box. Not sure why you’d need anything else. You can even just zip tie the thing in the case for all it matters.

Definitely get the 250 GB version since it’s only $20 more than the 120GB one.

Edit: ok I see some versions are “for laptops” and these versions wouldn’t come with the 2.5” to 3.5” adapter. Seems bestbuy does the third party crap too. Let’s see who’s got this thing… It seems newegg does in fact have it available direct and not through the third party sellers.

Edit: seems the 850 doesn’t come with the 2.5” to 3.5” adapter. Here’s one like the one that came with my 840.

I did not know this, must be a new thing, my 840 pro did not come with an adapter (iirc), but my case has a built in SSD mounting point so i did not need one anyways.

Ok, the drive, cord, and adapter are all on the way now.

I didn’t even do that! Mine is laying in the bottom of the case, no moving parts so all is well
Plus that freed up a slot for an extra internal HDD

240GB SSD boot
2 –2TB internals.

BTW, a few years ago, just before the Tsunamis, some of the 2TB WD externals had the high performance Western Digital Blacks in them. I got mine at Target of all places. Their list price was $79 but had a sale at $59! I just checked and that bare drive is still $126 on Newegg today.
My point here is that sometimes bare drives can be cheaper if bought with an enclosure. A gotcha in that is some externals use drives that have an integrated USB port built right into the drive. No SATA to USB adapter in the box

Use 1 screw and a hole for a regular HD, that works fine, better just laying on the bottom, though yes no moving parts so it could be done, but most pcs have an area for DVD drives and HD drives where an extra ssd fits hanging on 1 screw.
I have had hds mounted thought these holes in such a way the hd was with the bottom to the DVD casing screwed from the place where a DVD drive would be using the holes in the botton of the drive. Yes there was a time I used a lot of HDs

Ok, so all my parts are here now and my pc ( which is already much faster than the old one). I am trying to install the SSD now, but I’m not sure which port to use. I have 4 of them and 2 are in play.

Starting on the left with the blue one they say
sata0, sata1, sata2, and, esata

I always connect the system disk to SATA0 (it’s my standard practise/convention).
But you can connect to any of the sata0, sata1, sata2.

Best Regards,
George

Can that esata port be used? That is suppose to be faster right?

eSATA is NOT any faster. It is just an external version of a SATA port for external devices.

Best Regards,
George

exactly

Unlike the old days i’m pretty sure it does not matter which port you use, you can choose which device is the boot drive in the bios.

Unfortunately it looks like all my ports are SataII and not SataIII. The good news is that drive came with an installer disk ( it told me I’m plugged into sataII). Not only did this disc install what ever drivers etc were needed to recognize the drive it also comes with a data transfer/cloning program.

It appears to have worked I’m now showing 4 drives. The original C, the recovery image and now 2 more. I am guessing the recovery image was cloned on the SSD as well thus giving me 4???

Now I just need to get it to boot from that drive and I will be in business.

@vestureofblood,

What you are looking at is showing Logical Units on your system.

These are not necessarily the same as physical drives.

Best Regards,

George

@vestureofblood,

To see physical drives connected to your system go to:

Computer Management => Disk Management

Or

Control Panel => System => Device Manager => Disk Drives

Keengeorge,

I definetly have the SSD being recognized, it shows in the disk drives and also in Bios. I “think” I have switched to the SSD as the boot drive through bios.

How can I tell if I am booting from the SSD or not?

Also if I am, how do make sure that all of my pictures and files etc get stored on the HDD and not the SDD?

The easiest to ensure you are booting from the SSD is to disconnect the old system drive, & re-boot

Also it is not a good idea to leave 2 System Boot drives connected.

Re how to make sure you are saving your pics, etc on the HDD, just point your programs to it.

There are other ways (eg move Docs to it, etc), but that is the simplest

Best Regards,

George

So I should delete windows from the HDD?

First disconnect it, & ensure all is well.

Then later backup/image the entire old HDD, and then you can wipe it, or whatever you wish. It is wise to have fallback positions.

If you have another HDD, just keep the old one as-is in storage for a while.

Best Regards,

George