Can YOU help me with battery Safety please!?

Checking voltages after charging became second nature to me. I have my DMM laid out on the table it’s always there easy access with three probes connected. It only takes a few seconds.
Although I also chose to not bother with multi cell lights. Yet!

But still images how many thousands of people that didn't have a problem. He had an Ultrafire 3000. Some higher capacity cells from Ultrafire or GTL actually are wasted cells which have about 1700mAh. Since some of those are wasted they are already dangerous.

Actually the Ultrafire 3000 are protected cells. But he might got fakes or maybe even ones lacking the protection.

Stay sharp anyway.

It's wrong to assume it that way, that an explosion has to happen. The protection is there to protected the battery. The battery can simply not work anymore, it doesn't have to blow.

You can see on Youtube the Pansonic NCR18650 (unprotected) shorted and it didn't blow:

The batteries have an IC that should be designed for the specific cell that is used. That should simply stop the battery from working when charged too much (high voltage) or when discharged too much (low-voltage)

So, After some further research, and all of your helpful guidance, I have read about Panasonic NNP technology that is supposed to be like uber-safe (or am I a victim of marketing hype here?). Callies Customs uses NNP Panasonics, but I understand that Callie's doesn't do anything but put their Name on a Panasonic 3100 18650. Also I understand that the AW 18650 3100's are also the same Panasonic NCR18650A Battery that Callie's uses..

So could i get these NCR18650A from Ebay, as they are almost HALF the price of AW's or Callie's. AND ships out of Benton Arkansas which is like 2 hours from me.

Or even at Orbtronic.com 2xNCR18650A's for 20.00 +free shipping?

If i were to get these, how would I be able to prove they are authentic once I have them in my possession? I would be happy to test them for the kind folks here at BLF and report back on if they are authentic! If they are, that's the deal right there!!

Your input would be very helpful on this! Thanks again, I'm thinking im getting a handle on this battery thing thanks to all your help!

Callie adds a protectection circuit, before putting their name, this is the same as AW, RediLast and a few other does.

The protection circuit prevents over discharge, over charge and limits the maximum current draw.

I too am new to these 18650 batteries and their charging issues, although reading the threads on here most of my questions have been answered, but in doing so i have found a load more questions that need answers. By the way that was a damn good first post BLINDERS.

Can i ask.. Once a protected battery has tripped is that it... its useless, or does it reset at some point when the coast is clear so to speak?

Can i ask.. Will any charger (black box china type) labelled "18650" charge the whole range of 18650`s, by that i mean my charger comes with ultra fire 2400`s but i got me some senybor 2800, will these suit the charging unit. I can`t elaborate on the charger as i ain`t got it yet as its in the postal system with my tr 1200 but it does claim to be a `smart charger`.

I liked torches as a kid, i like torches now i am older, But these things are not torches, they are addict forming. Thanks to all the posters throughout this site because over the last few weeks i think i read the lot.

So although I am new(er) than most here, Night_watchmen, I know enough to answer two of your questions:

1. If the protection is tripped, by placing the battery on a charger, it should untrip it. I have gathered this info from reading over 70 threads in this forum, and people are always talking about "resetting" tripped batteries by putting them in a charger.. (and from what I understand, it happens almost immediately upon putting the battery in the charger)

2. The mAh of the battery shouldn't matter from charger to charger. A charger, even cheapo one should be able to charge any 18650 battery, regardless of its mAh. However, rarely, some 18650's are slightly different in size (by mm's or less) in girth, and may have trouble squeezing into some tight fit chargers.

Hope this helps you a little. I tried to be pretty vague because im surely no expert!

Also, you might try opening your own thread with these questions. Once the real experts post their opinion in a thread, they are unlikely to return to respond to other questions in the same thread, so you have a better chance of having much more information thrown at you if you open your own thread here on the BLF forum. These people are great!

And if anyone is wondering.. in my battery quest, I have decided just to stick with single 18650 lights, Ill be buying Surefire Flames, a voltage meter, and using my old cheapo charger. and just watching the charge. I'll never need a two battery setup most likely, and beyond my HS-801 and my 501B with a T6, ill be sticking to Zoomies that take AAA or AA NiMH's for every day use.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Blinders answered you correctly on this one. Put the cell back in the charger for a couple of seconds and it will reset, ready to be used again.

Keep in mind that the protection is for over-discharging but as well for over-charging.

The capacity of a cell doesn't change how a charger works. The chargers will measure the voltage and finish at 4.2V. That's why the same charger can charge 16340, 14500, 18650 and 32650 cells, and all those types of cells have different capacities.

It's good to see all the helpful posts here. I just wanted to say that it's nice to see so many give a helping hand.

I am on the dark side I guess. I would never touch Lithium again, for any reason. 6 billion Li batteries may work forever and never fail or burn up or explode, but I have experienced first hand what happens when they do and it's about the scariest thing I ever saw.

I stick to NiMH because I do not want to check batteries, or voltage, or amperage or any of that stuff. I have bad habits and I'm not willing to change now. I know NiMH can fail and short, but it's nowhere near like what can happen to Lithium. There are tons of flashlights that I am depriving myself from, due to my refusal to use Li, but it's the price I have to pay for making my self feel safer. Where does all that Lithium go when the batteries die? Landfills? To me, they are as bad or worse than CFL lights.

Since the OP asked for All Opinions, here's mine - I would not recommend Li around children at all! I would keep all batteries away from young ones, but Li would be a No Way, for me...

Thanks for bringing this up, Blinder. I had posted about some dead Ultrafire cells received from Manafont earlier in the week. I tried charging them in my Xtar charger, but all it did was blink. So I tried your suggestion with my old cheap $4.95 charger and it seems to have done the trick. After the reset, both cells read +2.9v on the multimeter and are now charging away in my good charger.

Very helpful suggestion and I learned something to boot.

Saying no to LiIon does prevent you from using many of todays high tech gadgets. I would expect that the risk from using LiIon is considerable less than the risk from driving a car. How many dies from LiIon accidents and how many dies from car accidents? Today there are probably more LiIon batteries around than cars.

Around here old batteries are collected, both NiMH and LiIon and all other chemistries.

Thanks guys. I am new too forums and have found that i not only need to learn about torches i need to learn about forums as well. Blinders.. cheers pal.good idea. The one thing i cant find on here is a "what you do with it" kind of help thread. If i started one from scratch, torch/charger in its box unopened, a complete novice like i (almost) am could follow my steps, reading the advice from others as posted for me. Instead of trawling for answers across the forum. In my case even the charger had NO instructions (nor even a brand name) The torch is fantastic thou!. Lots of people use two cell torches safely and i hope to learn and join them. But i do take seriously the points old-lumens makes and his refusal for li ion is duly noted. Hence my search for info and advice.

Li-Ion are safe for the most part, especially if you have protected ones, and Old-Timers had some very good points. But what it all boiled down to for me is, Do i need the added runtime of 2x batteries? for me I thought about it, and I dont. If you do, then some simple precautions: good batteries, and good charger and checking voltage (This is what I have learned form the kind folks of BLF) - and its almost guaranteed you're not going to have a problem. Its up to your diligence basically. If you trust yourself then go with the 50.00 investment for a good charger and good batteries with a good protection circuit and when you charge them, check them. Dont let them over discharge in your torch - and you're golden.

Personally, with three kids, limited time, and no need for 5 hour runtime (that a AAA or AA zoomie torch cannot handle) I dont need to multiple lithium setup and the scarce possibility that they might nuke my home.. Ill have spares that are charged. I have tons of AA and AAA NiMH eneloops and ReCyko's (my favorites) at my disposal with solar charger if i ever need it. I'll wait a couple years until theres a better Lithium technology.But thats just me being over-cautious..

All boils down to your circumstances, and what is truly necessary. Good luck on your venture!!

As I said before A li-ion doesn't automatically mean explosion.

Here you can see an intentional short fo the Panasonic NCR18650A for one hour. The battery was overcharged to 4.27V

Li-ion chemestry is around us.

All laptops have the same 18650 (or smaller) cells inside, from 4 to 9 cells in a pack.

The batteries in DSLRs are Li-ion, 2 cells in series

And we all care with Li-ion Polymer batteries since we all use cell phones. These can explode too.

First post- so bare with me.

I saw your post maybe too late, but have to do this because of people who are new to 18650 Li-ion batteries.

After many years on eBay, Amazon (100% feedback on both) have learned that many sellers are not that honest.

Blinders, (and all other good people here) I just want to warn you that eBay seller who "ships out of Benton Arkansas which is like 2 hours from" you is misleading potential customers (obviously including you). Your link to that auction NCR18650A

Why?

Those cells that he is selling are NCR18650 2900mAh not NCR18650A 3100mAh. Pay close attention to his pictures/text/color.

Be careful out there.

Thanks for the good heads-up, SpaceCowboy.

Welcome to BLF.