Can You Mod an Astrolux S41s and or S42s?

I’m thinking about picking up an Astrolux s41 stainless and want to know if it’s possible to mod it further than it is. Since it already comes with a FET+1 7135 driver all I’d have to do is a spring bypass and run an unprotected High drain cell. My question is, do they make different Optics an can you put brighter led’s in them?

I don’t have either yet, and I’m not much a modder anyway, so there are lots of things I won’t know about. But, I do know at least one thing to answer your question. Lexel has made a replacement driver for the Astrolux S42 and has demonstrated in pictures how it would be modded. This will give you a better UI, which to some of us the first most important thing. Speculating, I think the optics and the MCPCB are probably standard size and can be changed also.

No, it’s not. Optics in s41/s42 is about 1mm higher than carclo. Also MCPCB is nonstandard. It’s a 20mm quad. The quad noctigon have 21mm. Good for triple, but still need spacer under MCPCB, or thicker glass and sanding the pill. I modified my s41 with this second way.

Really Astrolux? Barely non-standard sizes? If going with proprietary, why not make it a BIG difference, so it looks like some effort at engineering was done, instead of almost copying an existing product but making it just different enough to not fit the same? :person_facepalming:

Thanks, Chatika vas Paus for letting us know.

Did going from a quad down to a triple led produce more lumens?

This has always been known.

And the MCPCB was a really bad design, from the start.

Nevertheless it works OK, except that it is far too heavy (copper head that achieves nothing thermally or otherwise) and they glued them up (at least mine).

The SS/Cu version is even worse. Really quite disfunctional. Unless you are persistent and have a plan.

Take them to bits and put in a standard triple MCPCB and TIR lense, do what you will with the driver, and enjoy. If you can be bothered.

Worth the money ? Not sure. If FW3A comes in on budget and works, that’s where I’d be looking.

Here’s a Manker E14 teardown & mods for some ideas, see how it’s put together, same as the Astrolux S41 which I imagine is made similarly to the S41s.

I did it for better beam. The one from the factory optics is just ugly.

DavidEF didn’t know :slight_smile:

MCPCB is good. Optics is… well, everyone knows what.

My 3 lights were not glued.

What about a rear metal clicky switch for the Astrolux S41s??

It’s a shame the MCPCB is not for sale seperately.
You can buy the quad TIR optics, but not the LED board…

As for modding the S41(S), you can put a better driver in it, preferably a Constant Current driver, and then optimize the electrical path so you have the same maximum output for some time.

The S41s already has a Fet+1 which I thought was the best driver out there. Any driver suggestions??

What about the metal rear switch? I’ve seen pics of it done, but nothing on how to do it.

Last is that I’m not a fan of the Tir optic. Theres distortion aroun the outter edges of the beam. One of the replies earlier in this thread said he switched to a triple setup just to get a better beam from the carclo 105xx triple optics…