Canister or soda can build - 9 or 12 XM-L Hi or 3 MT-G2

I’ve been thinking about building a powerful canister or soda can type light for a while now and the one that comes to mind is the Supfire M6 as the build quality is supposed to be good with the ability to dissipate a fair amount of heat.

I would like to have a lot of flood but I’m not against some throw either, I cannot decide on what to use?

Should I use maybe 9 or 12 XM-Hi with Carclo TIR optics?

Or 3 MT-G2’s with the stock reflector with the holes opened up?

Obviously I would have to alter the contact’s for the batteries with the MT-G2 to supply 6V.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Supfire M6

3x Quad XP-G3 with 25mm khatod optics :smiley:

What driver are you going to use?

If you’re looking for max lumens and mostly flood, do 3x quad OR 4x triple XP-L, but not the HI, because it has lower output and is mainly meant for more throw. The 12x XP-L should easily beat 3x MT-G2 and 12x XP-G3. If you’re adventurous, you can mix different temps/tints to get a nicer overall output tint.

A deciding factor could be determined by your intended purpose for the light.
A strong point in favor of the MT G-2 is the delicious tint, and effect on human vision. The tint in my Fenix PD-40 is the only mix I like better than the XP-G2 S3 3D LEDs in my M43.

With this in mind, and considering the Nichia 219C is Richard’s favorite, you might want to consider yet another option in addition to the XP-G3 suggested by Will34, and XPLs suggested by David EF.

Nichia 219C 70+ CRI MTN favorite in this light
• Neutral White - 5000K
• 10000+ OTF lumens (* in his Mega M6 mod)

^
+1 on the 219C’s.

You will get higher output initially with the XPL’s. But I would think with all the voltage sag, the low Vf of the 219C will pass the XPL’s fairly early in the run. Please double check me on that. I haven’t consulted the charts and calculated to verify. Just what I think would happen.

I’m anxious to see Djozz’s results of the XP-G3. I think it has potential to make the 219c obsolete.

Thanks everyone, I keep having a look at Richard’s light especially the option with the Nichia’s, not that I want to copy or anything. :blush:

I keep hearing good thing’s about the MT-G2, but also the fact that multiple led’s will be good for flood.

I take the dog for a walk at night in this countryside park near where I live so there isn’t any lighting at all, the more I can light it up when needed the better. The Thorfire S70 is great but I just fancied building something that was really bright just because it’s possible and to see how something like that would perform in real life.

I’ve no idea just yet which driver to use just yet, I’ll have to to some searching to see what’s possible.

So 219c’s, XP-L’s or the new XP-G3’s.

I know you aficionados (never used that word before) will appreciate the differences between them but I’ll be happy whichever I go for.

The 219c’s are good value, only $13 for 3 on a Noctigon :money_mouth_face: , so they look like the favourites for now.

Thanks everyone. :+1:

I'd take a good look at the SupFire L1. I just got one in. It's an M6, but bigger head, little more stockier, more LED's . I bought mine here: http://www.dhgate.com/product/50w-3800lm-rechargeable-camping-waterproof/376183754.html#s1-0-1b;searl|2066522696, but didn't pay that price. Got a better deal with no cells or charger. Only down-sides from a M6 is that it has an aluminum bezel, not SS as listed, and could cost you more in LED's because 5 triples should fit nice.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts regarding the quality of the host Tom

Wow! :stuck_out_tongue:

I like the look of that, a handle too.

Thanks Tom! :wink:

Supfire L1 review

The quality is pretty much exactly like the M6. The battery tube and end cap LEGO with an M6. Just the head is widened, and they added the handle. See post #11 of the L1 review linked above - 7300 lumens modded out. Just gotta work out vertical spacing of triples. I looked at it already - seems do-able, but it got put on hold for a while.

Hmm I’m thinking series conversion 5x XHP70?

“5 triples should fit nice……”
“7300 lumens modded out……”
“series conversion 5x XHP70……”

Where could you find a more helpful bunch of ‘aficionados’, as you put it ???
(Some would say lumen junkies)

They want to help keep you in shape, a loaded Supfire L1 looks to weigh about 1.7 lbs.
It should keep you warm during those nighttime, torch lit walks with your dog….
(Hopefully there aren’t a lot of bugs around…!)

But if those bugs come close, they'll be roasted - makes a nice sandwich

The 2S2P conversion would be the best way, instead of 8 18350's. There's been some posts on the 2S2P conversion, but it's beyond me. Either it was beyond my capabilities, or I couldn't follow it, or it looked too kludged, or needed some care/dis-assembly to load cells. Any or all of those... I'd love to do it, but don't recall anything that struck me.

PD68 - actually I wish I ordered more of your SRK Q8 drivers, because I could use even more than two. With 3 coming, 2 for me I guess, and 1 for The Miller. But first, let's see if it works, so that's the important thing. The drivers should be here tomorrow though. Would have been today but USPS forwarded it to the wrong post office, again...

Not sure, don't think you wanted one?

No I don’t need one. Looking forward to your tests though

Not much in the way of bug’s, just crane flies - 1 1/2” across with long legs which are harmless.

Plenty of slugs, snails and worm’s to stand on though and some frog’s.

It’s crazy when you start thinking about buying the part’s to make something like this. I keep thinking, do I really need one? :confounded:

The guy who has that DHGate store I bought mine from just msg'd me. He's now listing the SupFire L1 without the bundle, so much better price. $58 US, DHL shipped, here:

http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/supfire-l1-50w-3800lm-rechargeable-led-flashlight/384227099.html

It's hard to find this light, and think this might be the best 1 piece price now.

Excellent, thanks Tom. :wink:

The head is so much larger than the M6 which looks small in comparison, I’ll order one later. :slight_smile: